Menu

Please tell me These is My Words gets better (triggers all over)

ashfern

I have managed to read 16 pages of this book. So far, the younger brother was bitten by a snake & died, they were attacked by Indians and 2 of their party died plus the older brother had his leg amputated, the girls were attacked & the youngest raped by two random dudes that the main character shot & killed. Seriously only 16 pages in!! I'm reading this for our book club not for pleasure. I have read 5 other books since starting that one. Anyone have a quick synopsis of this book or a compelling reason for me to finish it and not return it to the library ASAP.

We read this book for bookclub. Sarah Prine had a rough life. Let me link you to a synopsis: 

http://www.bookrags.com/studyguide-these-is-my-words/#gsc.tab=0

Emotionally, the death of her kids about crushed me...but that's a personal trigger. Lots more people die in the book---including her father and both of her husbands.

I'll give you a pass on this one!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

We read this book for bookclub. Sarah Prine had a rough life. Let me link you to a synopsis: 

http://www.bookrags.com/studyguide-these-is-my-words/#gsc.tab=0

Emotionally, the death of her kids about crushed me...but that's a personal trigger. Lots more people die in the book---including her father and both of her husbands.

I'll give you a pass on this one!

Double edged sword..I kind of hope this story is a true story or based on a true story because why else would people write something so demented? It reads more like a horror novel than anything else.

12 minutes ago, Janeway said:

Double edged sword..I kind of hope this story is a true story or based on a true story because why else would people write something so demented? It reads more like a horror novel than anything else.

The author wrote the story of her great-grandmother's (grandmother's?) life. Yes, this is based on a true story.

28 minutes ago, katilac said:

Ah, yes, the "first it was bad, then it was worse, and then the baby died" genre. 

I can't read these types of books anymore.  I loved horror when I was younger, didn't matter if it was kids or adults.  Now, I can't read anything where kids are hurt or killed.  I was in a group that kept picking these types of books and I kept not reading them.  It was small enough "club" that we supposedly all had input on the books but even after I explained I couldn't read those types of books anymore they kept getting picked (with claims that "this one isn't that bad").  I'd look up reviews or even synopsis before reading and the one that I finally just said forget it had a kid killed by a jet ski.   How is that "not so bad"?

5 hours ago, Amber in SJ said:

I made it through Angela's Ashes and These is My Words, but skipped Sarah's Key and Eleni.  With those four in one year I bowed out of that particular book club.

Amber in SJ

I've tried Sarah's key twice (it's got my namein it!) Iand I can't.

I just can't handle the concept.