Menu

Why's it so hard to find bottoms for slim boys?

Land's End works for my slim one. Many of their pants (twills, corduroy) come in "Slim". We started him in 8 slims, and he is in 12 slims already! He's only 9, but tall and thin.

Not all of their styles come in "slim", but many of them do. You can search by styles that DO come in slim, so that you're not wasting your time.

By the way, we can't use any other brand so I hope they never go out of business......

Julie

Gymboree slims (only available online) with adjustable waists work for us, but I've definitely found that some pants fit better than others. I had a 20% off coupon and ordered ds 4 pair of pants that were already on sale -- 3 fit fairly well (once we cinched the waist in), and one of them looks like he's trying to make regulars fit. Sigh. But they were so cheap, I'm just going to keep them.

Tea Collection has expensive things, but their jeans are cut *very* slim. I love them. But they only go up to an 8. I've lucked into a few pair of their jeans at 75% off, and they were so great I'd (almost!) consider paying full price for them. Weirdly, their girls' jeans seem to be cut just a bit wider. Dd isn't really a slim (she can go either way), and Tea fits her well too. But I love that when ds wears his Tea jeans, they just look *normal* on him.

My ds15 was that way. I didn't ever know about Lands End, sad to say, so we struggled to find something that would fit him! He's filled out enough now so that he can fit in mens sizes for length, and just get a smaller waist size.

My dd11 is that way now. Any pants long enough for her are way too big around the waist! Does Lands End have pants like that for girls too?

I'm going through the same thing with my slim boy. I have learned to keep an eye on the style of the jeans; loose and relaxed fit will look and fit like clown pants no matter how tight I pull the elastic tabs. Carpenter style pants are almost as bad. :glare:

Land's End, Sears and Gap have slimmer fitting pants for boys than many of the others we have tried. And they have jeans that don't look like they've been worn by 3 other people before being put in the store.

We look for the adjustable waist pants wherever we go. My ds8 is slim, but swears the slim size feels "weird" and won't wear them. whatever. Luckily we've scored big time on adjustable waist jeans at our local Goodwill store.

My 13yo is the same way. He's skinny, but won't wear anything but husky pants--with an adjustable waist cinched all the way in.:lol:

We only shop at OshKosh now for ds. He's five and roughly 43 inches tall and 40 lbs, and the pants at OshKosh have the elastic and the button where you can make it narrower for a while. I was surprised how tall he'd gotten when I bought him a size 5 (this is a boy who normally stays undersize for a good long time) and it fits him perfectly, length-wise. I'm asking everyone to get him size 6 now -- OshKosh pants. He likes them too, as like me, he loves khaki and cargo pants :D

I am having the same struggle with finding pants to fit my tall skinny 9 you and my average height, slender 12 yo. I don't really want to spend the money on new (things are a bit tight right now AND they blow through knees way too quickly), but I am having a tough time finding gently used ones.

We did find a pair of 12 slim Sonoma carpenter jeans for the 9 yo at the thrift store. Even though they are carpenter, they don't seem ridiculously large and he says they are really comfy. Now I am on a hunt!

~Staci

I struggle with this also, all of my kids are very slim and tiny waisted. My oldest is tall but still hasn't filled out a lot so he shops in mens for the length but has to wear a belt.

For my little kids, I look for slim sizes and an adjustable elastic waist as much as possible, or pants with a functional drawstring. I have found jeans at Kohls that come in slim and fit my 7 yr old perfectly, I can't remember the brand but I think they might have been Wrangler.

Also, Mini Boden tends to run small and has a lot of fuctional drawstring pants for kids, they are expensive though. I like them because they list the waist measurement of all their pants online. Sometimes I give up and just sew a tuck in leggings for my dd. I had a few other suggestions but they've flown out of my head while typing this.

We haven't tried some of the brands mentioned, but Arizona slims, found at JCPenney, are the slimmest slims I've found. We still pull in the waist a bit with the tabs, but they're long enough.

Jenelle

Because they are the only place we've been able to find 18 Slim & 20 Slim jeans. He is 5'10" or 5'11" but has a 28" waist & only weighs 110 lbs. Jeans from the men's department are always too big in the waist. Even the 18/20 Slims are too big in the seat, though. <sigh>