Menu

School room purge

laundrycrisis

I have some time to myself which very rarely happens.  I wasn't sure which project to start, but I was going to declutter a little bit in my "office" - also where all the school stuff lives - and I ended up starting  a pretty hard purge.  I needed to do this about three years ago.  Good gravy, the amount of stuff - our garbage and recycling is going to be overfilled this week.  Unfinished stuff from over two years ago that was no good to anyone, not to finish, not to sell, not to give away - just no reason to have - just me having trouble letting go of what didn't get finished.  Bleh. I also have three large stacks of books to decide to sell/donate/give away at the co-op.  And a bunch of empty shelves.

After the first wave of books is gone, I think most of the rest will follow.  I've reached the stage of our homeschool that doesn't require much stuff.  DS1 is enrolled in distance high school and we only need the books for his current courses - there is no reason I can think of to keep the textbooks for the courses he's already finished and received his grade for.  DS2 will be in school part time for science and social studies, and home for math and writing, which are both outsourced to online programs, so I don't need much for him either.  It's weird to be on the edge of emptying most of it out. 

• Like 2

I’m in the midst of a purge too b/c my kids will return to school in Jan.   Stil, I can’t bring myself to part with some of my books. I keep thinking one or both of the peeps may still need the readers digest explanations they offer. Well, there that AND the idea that elephant and piggy may be of comfort to one or more of our (once a year) littlest guests. 

I am in the middle of this too.  I am really torn because none of us like to get rid of books.  I am having a hard time deciding what to let go of since ds is 9 now and he doesn't need little kid books.  He is done with the first two cycles of history so we don't really need those historical fiction books right?  I am just not good at letting go of books.  Games, puzzles, workbooks, curriculum sets, etc are easy to get rid of but not real books!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Attolia said:

I am in the middle of this too.  I am really torn because none of us like to get rid of books.  I am having a hard time deciding what to let go of since ds is 9 now and he doesn't need little kid books.  He is done with the first two cycles of history so we don't really need those historical fiction books right?  I am just not good at letting go of books.  Games, puzzles, workbooks, curriculum sets, etc are easy to get rid of but not real books!

This is where I am. I still can’t bear to part with Elephant and Piggy and the Pigeon books!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Sneezyone said:

This is where I am. I still can’t bear to part with Elephant and Piggy and the Pigeon books tho!

I got rid of all the stuff from the teens now that they are graduated or in school.

My preschoolers have just discovered Elephant & Piggie (hysterical!) but so far are content with getting them from the library. With my olders I felt the need to OWN all the books, this time around I’m trying not to ?

• Like 2

Just now, Hilltopmom said:

I got rid of all the stuff from the teens now that they are graduated or in school.

My preschoolers have just discovered Elephant & Piggie (hysterical!) but so far are content with getting them from the library. With my olders I felt the need to OWN all the books, this time around I’m trying not to ?

Buying books was my downfall. Library books have cooties (I’m a germophobe but realize that’s not a thing) and every time my kids fell in love with a series I added to their collection. I literally asked DS as we were unpacking this week if he was ready to part with them and he, too, said nope.?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sneezyone said:

This is where I am. I still can’t bear to part with Elephant and Piggy and the Pigeon books!

I will never get rid of Elephant and Piggy. I'm a book minimalist usually (ebooks and library are my friend), but Mo Willems will always have a place in our home. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Attolia said:

I don't think there is anything wrong with hanging on to books if you have the space. My mom saved a bunch of my favorite books and my kids got to enjoy them, too. There was something so special in seeing my child read from the very same copy of Little Bear that I had read. So, I will keeping many books both for my own collection and for my dc. My dc each have at least one bin of meaningful books that they are saving in our storage room. It is well worth the space to me. 

• Like 3

Purging here too! I am starting to see that those "one off" resources don't get used, and I'm trying to avoid purchasing them unless the kids will use them independently for fun. As much as it would've been nice to be more of a make our own unit study families, my kids' needs and our actual habits do NOT promote that at all, lol! If it won't get used in the browsing bin, it needs to be a formal resource or just leave the house. 

Thankfully there is a local curriculum sale coming up where you pay only $5 to have a for sale table. I've never tried to sell things before, but I figure I can't lose for that price. I know I'll probably come home with a few things, but I generally have a much better feel for what will actually be used and what will not.