Menu

Travel planning help ?

Murphy101

I need to travel to pearl river, Mississippi very soon. I’ll have a 21 month old baby with me so I’ll need to make somewhat frequent stops for at least short periods of time. 

What I’d like to do is put my travel route in an app similar to map quest or google maps, then have the app make suggestions for things I might want to see and do along the way, a great niche restaurant or a historical site or a yarn store or whatever and have it work with a parameter of say no further than 10 miles off my travel route. 

Does anyone know if an app like this exists? I hate yelp and it only give you info on specific locals you suggest, if won’t look at an entire route. 

Dump?

Really? This hasn’t been invented yet? I have to check every place along the route individually prior to leaving and make a possible list to check as we drive?

We can come up with Pokémon go but not this handy travel guide?

8 minutes ago, Murphy101 said:

Dump?

Really? This hasn’t been invented yet? I have to check every place along the route individually prior to leaving and make a possible list to check as we drive?

We can come up with Pokémon go but not this handy travel guide?

LOL.....You found something to invent.  

I do not know of any app but guidebooks have places like tripple A guidebooks.  Also you could ask all of us.  Depending on which direction you are coming from, I have potential suggestions.  I have travelled to that area from several directions a number of times since my dd's inlaws live in a town next to Pearl.

17 minutes ago, TravelingChris said:

I do not know of any app but guidebooks have places like tripple A guidebooks.  Also you could ask all of us.  Depending on which direction you are coming from, I have potential suggestions.  I have travelled to that area from several directions a number of times since my dd's inlaws live in a town next to Pearl.

Well yeah. I know about those. But seriously all the components of what I’m describing exist but no one has thought to combine them into one source?

Anyways. 

Im going by way of Dallas, Shreveport, Baton Rouge then up to pearl river.

*Might* be convinced to go as far as Gulfport if the activity is enticing enough.

I’m interested in local yarn stores, winery, distilleries, history (especially catholic), parks, boardwalks or zoos sciency things or baby friendly entertainment. Not much interested in novelty stuff like the biggest pickle of the west or some famous person lived/died here type of things. I’m driving solo and going to be really tired and have limited funds with a little one that doesn’t understand why she has to be strapped into a car seat for hours at a time, but I’m going to stop anyways, might as well make it enjoyable.

• Like 1

Google maps will allow you to search for things along your route and tells you how much time it adds.  I think it would work best for yarn stores or museums.  You can search restaurant or a specific restaurant, but it won't uncover only the hidden gems for you.

I plan a lot of roadtrips. I use google maps to find stuff and trip advisor (there's usually a ranking of top 10 things to do in each town).

Especially if you're looking for specific genres of things to do, I would plug in my route and start searching for those things on my route. Even that road trip site isn't probably going to highlight Catholic history or yarn stores, kwim? But it might have museums and such.

Okay I don't have any specific suggestions because I have only travelled part of that road and that was 25 years ago.  But I found this site that may help

https://pitstopsforkids.com/interstate-directory/

As to yarn stores, googling the main cities along the way or knitting forums for the states could work.

Here is something for Catholic sites in north and central LA (no idea if any near your path)http://www.thecatholicconnection.org/?p=1841

Trip advisor is good too.

10 hours ago, EmseB said:

I plan a lot of roadtrips. I use google maps to find stuff and trip advisor (there's usually a ranking of top 10 things to do in each town).

Especially if you're looking for specific genres of things to do, I would plug in my route and start searching for those things on my route. Even that road trip site isn't probably going to highlight Catholic history or yarn stores, kwim? But it might have museums and such.

I was going to add roadtrippers as well. We have done a couple of cross country drives and it was very helpful.