Menu

Best Tasting Dairy Free Frosting Recipe?

Katy

Please give me your tips & recipe links for the best tasting dairy-free frosting recipe you've found.  Typically I've been anti-hydrogenated fat, and avoid shortening in favor of real buttercream, made with salted butter and cream. Should I just give into the shortening, or is there a better flavored alternative?

Oh my. I have THE VERY BEST VEGAN CHOCOLATE FROSTING IN THE WORLD recipe. It's from "The Grit" cookbook, which you should totally buy online. 12 oz silken tofu melted with 3 cups vegan chocolate chips. Blend to smooth after it's all melted. I use a hand blender. Let cool to frosting consistency. There are not words. It's so so so rich so spread thin. I used it on a wedding cake this weekend and it was RAVED about. It's divine!!!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, laundrycrisis said:

I make the Wilton Buttercream recipe using palm oil shortening (not hydrogenated) and Earth Balance sticks.  I use any non dairy milk. 

Also I make a mocha fudge version of the Wilton Buttercream by using Hershey Extra Dark cocoa powder in the frosting, and for the liquid I use cold very strong coffee.   I put it on Crazy Cake (also dairy and egg free) that I made with the extra dark cocoa and cold strong coffee as part of the liquid.  Mocha fudge cake !

• Like 1

Thanks everyone.  The mocha fudge sounds delicious, but this is for a kids birthday party, so we'll probably not opt for that unless it's a secondary option for the adults.  I've been wondering about the avocado options and the ganache, it's nice to know people have tried and liked them.