Menu

Best Probiotics after Doxy

moonflower

Does anyone know the absolute best brand/type/strain of probiotics to take during and after a round of doxycycline?  The doxy is causing stomach issues and some mental fog/anxiety, so I'd like to limit affect and get back to normal as well and soon as possible.  It seems like there are 200 different types of probiotics at the health food store, and they all say they're the Best Ever.

5 hours ago, moonflower said:

probiotics to take during and after a round of doxycycline?

Just to point out that you can take Florastor during your antibiotic, yes, but regular stuff you're not supposed to. Florastor was actually developed not to affect the antibiotic, where taking a regular probiotic will. I've had people say they take it but not too close, and then those same people end up on a 2nd round. I don't know. Me, I just take Florastor when I'm on the antibiotic. Afterward, anything you want.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
On 7/16/2018 at 6:50 AM, PeterPan said:

Just to point out that you can take Florastor during your antibiotic, yes, but regular stuff you're not supposed to. Florastor was actually developed not to affect the antibiotic, where taking a regular probiotic will. I've had people say they take it but not too close, and then those same people end up on a 2nd round. I don't know. Me, I just take Florastor when I'm on the antibiotic. Afterward, anything you want.

Do you think this applies to things like Kombucha or fermented foods too?

On 7/16/2018 at 4:50 AM, PeterPan said:

Are you claiming that taking probiotics with antibiotics actually causes the antibiotics not to work? If so, do you have a link? I have never heard that, my doctor always recommends taking probiotics, and I can't find anything online that suggests that. The only study I have ever read that showed any downside to taking probiotics and antibiotics simultaneously showed that it can take longer for the body to rebuild its orginal flora, because the probiotic strains tend to replace the original strains. But that may be a small price to pay to avoid 10 days of diarrhea.

My understanding of why Florastor is preferred over other probiotics is because it's not killed by antibiotics, whereas with other probiotics, you generally need to alternate the pro- and antibiotics and you're basically paying for a few hours of "use" of the probiotics before the next dose kills them off.

Florastor is the Yeast 'Saccharomyces boulardii lyo CNCM I-745'.
But Antibiotics don't kill off Yeasts.
This particular Yeast, is a ''Prebiotic' and helps with the re-establishment of the normal gut bacteria.  Which is made up of around 1,000 different types of Bacteria.
Probiotics don't effect the action of Antibiotics.

I would choose Visbiome over VSL#3.

https://www.visbiome.com/blogs/visbiome-vs-vsl-3

ETA When taking antibiotics, we also take Serrapeptase (Dr’s Best, 40,000 IU) first thing in the morning and no food for 1-2 hours after. Serrapeptase breaks down some of the biofilm that protects the bacteria, making them more vulnerable to the antibiotics.

Edited by BeachGal
Added info