Menu

International shipping - what's cheapest

Suzanne in ABQ

I don't know about Japan, but I ship to Australia sometimes and it is just very expensive no matter how it's shipped.  They used to have surface mail, but they no longer do that.  That used to take about 6 weeks or so.  I wish they still had it.

• Like 1

It will be expensive but if you ship with UPS or FedEx and the box cannot be delivered they may add "storage fees" (just had this happening to a box I shipped to Germany with UPS).  I also had to pay fees in addition to customs because UPS charged for "calculating the fees".  I do not know if this is country dependent but it might be worth to check on before you ship.

• Like 1

Suzanne what is the approximate total value of the items that will be inside the 2 cartons? New or Used?   I suspect that you will find that it IS NOT a good idea to be doing this.   If I were in his shoes I would call the Toll Free Phone Number for Japan Airlines Cargo.  I would ask the person who answers the phone, if they had to send that stuff to Japan, how they would do it.

There are probably "Freight Forwarders" on the West Coast who specialize in things going to/from Japan.  Possibly Panalpina has an office in Albuquerque? I would ask them if they were in his shoes, how they would send it.

IMHO THE BEST WAY for him to get that stuff to Japan will be to take it on the airplane with him when he flies back to Japan.  And, he will be the one to get it through Japanese Customs, with his other Luggage and it will probably clear as "Tourist Purchases" or something and he will hopefully not need to pay for a Customs Clearance or Customs Duty or other taxes and fees.

You have NO idea what getting those 2 cartons through Japanese Customs might involve, if he sends them via Air Freight.

That's not as simple as the tiny carton I paid to send from our Receiver/Forwarder in Miami earlier this afternoon. If all goes well, it will fly to Bogota tonight, it will clear Colombian Customs in Bogota tomorrow, go in an overnight truck to Cali, and be delivered to our house in 2 days. (Thursday hopefully. Today is Tuesday).  However, if I had to send something in the other direction, it would cost far more.  I've had them send 6 older (heavy) laptops and each one cost about $30 USD. In the other direction, I  am certain it would be far more expensive. 

Assume he has 2 cartons that each weigh 20 pounds. 40 pounds total. That's approximately 19 Kilos. I am doing that in my head...   It would IMO be better for him to stick that stuff in a big (possibly oversize which will cost extra) suitcase and bite the bullet and have it with him when he gets out of the airport after arrival in Japan.

Customs Clearances can be quite complicated and quite expensive. Ask me how I know and why we began using Panalpina, a Freight Forwarder...

• Like 2

What Lanny said. It would likely be cheaper for him to buy an inexpensive extra suitcase and take it back in his luggage. Or, if he is already at his max number of bags, definitely price out how much for an extra bag vs. shipping the 2 cartons; still may be cheaper. 

When we were in Brazil, the most reliable way to send us stuff was USPS Flat Rate International, which was much smaller than "small moving box" and 20 pounds, and was around $40 or $45 per box. A carton the size you're describing (or I'm imagining) would certainly be a great deal more (although, Brazil is one of the highest cost countries to ship to); even at that, 2 Large Flat Rate International boxes via USPS would be close to $100 in shipping fees, and take weeks, and may or may not get hung up in Customs. 

A typical extra luggage fee (if not also overweight) is $100, so it really is a close call. 

Oh, DHL does have good international rates/reliability, but as far as I know, none offer tracking, etc., once the item leaves the US, so.....really, if he's still here and can just take the stuff with him on the plane, so much the better, and really probably won't cost much more. You should be able to use online cost calculators for each shipping firm to check, just in case, but....

• Like 1

TheReader mentioned DHL.  A German company. Possibly THE BEST at International shipments of Documents and Small Packages.  Extremely reliable and trustworthy.  It would be worth checking with DHL, to see if they have some "low cost" rate where his stuff would go on a "Space Available" basis, since he doesn't need it to be there in 1 or 2 days.

I think there is far too much risk that the cost of the Customs Clearance in Japan may require the services of a Customs Broker and here you begin to speak in terms of $$$$$.  Ask me how I know.  And yes, a Colombian friend and I did clear 2 or 3 shipments before we began using Panalpina to bring in big stuff.  Now, we do not bring in anything big...

If he were shipping the stuff to Colombia, where we live, this would be extremely easy, but the distance involved, and possibly the bureaucracy are much more intimidating to me, not knowing anything about Japanese Customs Regulations and Procedures. 

Look before you leap!

Thanks everyone.  I checked DHL for a 20 lb box, the size we're thinking of, and it costs over $300!  I don't know whether that includes the customs fees.  Sheesh.  USPS, for a 15 lb box costs $95.  I don't know about customs fees.  I'm sure that the stuff in the box is worth less than that.

We bought her a second, large suitcase.  I think she pays $75 to check that, so that is definitely a better option than sending a box.  

She will probably need to leave some stuff here.  There's not much that is available here that she can't replace in Japan.  

How do the customs fees work.  Do we pay that here, or is it paid when they pick up the package in Japan?

• Like 1

Customs fees would be paid when she picks up the package in Japan; you'll need to list the items that are going into the package -- what they are, their value, etc. If you do it that way, you may want to check with her sending organization if they have tips on proper ways to fill that out so it gets where it's going, without costing an arm & a leg.  For that matter, they may know or have methods of shipping, as well.

If she takes it as luggage, she'll have to indicate on a customs form (given to her on the airplane) if she bought anything in the US and if it's over X amount (each country has different limits on that) (the total value of things purchased). If she mostly bought clothes and such, she probably can get away without marking anything. It's up to her how honest to be on that; it's unlikely, though, that she would have exceeded the total "tourist purchases" limit for customs declarations. 

In both instances, paying the customs fees is done on the receiving end, not the sending end, and varies wildly by country. On the luggage, there are space saving ways to pack, but then watch the weight on the luggage, too....she'll need to check weight limits for her specific airline and countries she's traveling to/from/through. Most I think have a 50 pound weight limit per bag (some countries get more). 

• Like 1

Well, we bought the second suitcase, but then checked the Delta Airlines website for restrictions.  Bad news, the new suitcase is too large.  We need to exchange it tomorrow.  Good news, first two bags are free, and one carryon is free, so if she can fit everything in those three bags, she's good.  I think she'll probably just leave anything that doesn't fit behind.  We have the scale set up to make sure she doesn't go over the 50 lb limit on the checked bags.  We'll see how it goes tomorrow, when she gets all packed up and we weigh everything.

• Like 1

I was told that there are companies that will ship things on the containers very inexpensively. A friend of mine uses such a company to ship things to family in Poland and I believe she said she pays $1 per pound. But apparently arrangements can differ. Now I have never done this so I don’t know how to even research it, but it could be worth checking to see if such a service exists for Japan.

• Like 1

OP it sounds like her trip is going to happen very soon.   I would NOT send anything to another country, without knowing what the Customs Duties and Associated Fees would be. Quite possibly that could exceed the value of what your guest wants to ship.

The quotations you received about shipping from DHL and USPS almost positively DO NOT INCLUDE the Japanese Customs Duty.

When I have things shipped from Sellers in the USA to our Receiver/Forwarder and they Consolidate for us into one carton, as they did yesterday, those items are Brand New and yes we pay the Colombian Customs Duty and VAT tax (if either or both or applicable) when we pay our Receiver/Forwarder and they pay Colombian Customs which is known as the DIAN. That is the ONLY example I can give you of where we prepay Customs Duty.  And on what's enroute now, the total value was about $111 USD and we paid 10% "Arancel" or Customs Duty. Because it was below $200 USD there is no VAT Tax, which is now a staggering 19% on this carton.

It could easily cost your student, for example, $300 USD to ship the 2 cartons to Japan and then easily cost another $300 to $600 to get them out of Japanese Customs.  You simply have NO way to know that, in advance.

Sounds like she is good to go with taking as much as is possible with her on the civil turbojets she will be flying on and if she is lucky, they will ask her what she has (she will probably fill out a Japanese Customs Declaration before her flight lands in Japan) and then, here is the part SHE MUST COMPLY WITH, if they ask her what she paid for a particular item, she must be  100% honest with the Japanese Customs person, immediately and very friendly.

Ask me how I know... When my wife was pregnant with DD, we brought back a bunch of stuff for DD including a High Chair for her to sit in when eating.It was a special one that was almost impossible to tip over.   We land late at night in Cali, very tired, and when it's our turn in Customs, the boxes are sitting on the thing. The man asked me how much we paid for it. I told him "about $110 USD".  At  that moment, I had no idea he was looking at the price tag, on the other side of the carton.  I didn't realize that until we were home, a couple of days later. Had I given him a false answer, we would have been in BIG trouble.  They know what things cost in the USA. Be honest with them and you are OK.

• Like 1

I live in Japan.  We have people ship us stuff all the time and rarely pay customs.  The most we have ever paid for customs was $20 for a laptop computer that was mailed directly from the store. I don't think customs will be a problem, especially if it is a package that was mailed from an individual rather than a company.  We have people ship through USPS.  It is not cheap, but it is the best option we have found.  Also, when flying into Japan, there is an option on the customs form to mark that you have other packages being shipped into Japan.  This will essentially make these packages customs-free, as long as they are personal items and not merchandise. 

• Like 1

Coming in late...and not experience with Japan but I ship to Europe via USPS regularly. Takes about 1-2 weeks as all shipment are airmail now. 

Cost will depend on weight and girth or package. Several smaller packages may be better than one heavy one.

• Like 1

You probably have this figured out by now, but I agree that bringing the extra suitcase is the cheapest option!  What we've done is pick up really cheap ones at thrift stores.  There's no need to buy a new one if it just needs to get from here to there once.  As far as the customs fees:  unless she bought a bunch of expense stuff, she wouldn't need to pay any customs fees at all when bringing it in a suitcase.  It's just considered personal stuff.  At least, that's our experience.  

• Like 2

On 6/13/2018 at 9:04 PM, KuniMom said:

I live in Japan.  We have people ship us stuff all the time and rarely pay customs.  The most we have ever paid for customs was $20 for a laptop computer that was mailed directly from the store. I don't think customs will be a problem, especially if it is a package that was mailed from an individual rather than a company.  We have people ship through USPS.  It is not cheap, but it is the best option we have found.  Also, when flying into Japan, there is an option on the customs form to mark that you have other packages being shipped into Japan.  This will essentially make these packages customs-free, as long as they are personal items and not merchandise. 

Hi KuniMom,

She got it down to one box.  Most of it is clothes that she brought from Japan in the first place (does this make it "returned goods?). But there are a few souvenirs that cost a total $130US that she will give as gifts when she gets home.  Would these be considered "Merchandise" or "Gifts"?  Is there a difference?  Does "Merchandise" mean she bought it, or that she intends to sell it?  

She doesn't remember the individual prices of the souvenirs, and we haven't found the receipt.  (It's most likely in the trash bag with all the other loose paper we found in her room, so we could probably find it if necessary).  Should we dig it out?

We really don't understand what is dutiable and what is not.  Also, how will checking a box on the airplane form make the package duty-free when she picks it up from the Japanese post office two weeks later?  Should she save a copy of that form and take it with her?  Also, she is leaving early Monday morning, so I will be the one taking the box to the post office.  Should I address the box From Her/To Her, or From Me/To Her?  

Am I overthinking this?  :o)

I meant merchandise as in items being brought in for the purpose of selling. I don’t think it matters who addresses the box. If she’s mailing it, just mark “gift” on the form. They don’t charge customs on anything marked gift. They aren’t really concerned with personal packages. If she is bringing it as luggage, the amount is fairly high, like $2,000 of purchased items you can bring in before paying duty fees.

The box on the customs form you can mark that you have unaccompanied articles being shipped here is more for people like us. We shipped three pallets of stuff that we had to pick up at a port. We didn’t have to pay any customs fees at all because we checked that. But shipping one box?  She shouldn’t have a problem at all. But she could mark it just in case. 

23 hours ago, arctic_bunny said:

If she can mark the box when returning to Japan, it will count as part of her personal exemption.

http://www.customs.go.jp/english/summary/passenger.htm

6 hours ago, KuniMom said:

I meant merchandise as in items being brought in for the purpose of selling. I don’t think it matters who addresses the box. If she’s mailing it, just mark “gift” on the form. They don’t charge customs on anything marked gift. They aren’t really concerned with personal packages. If she is bringing it as luggage, the amount is fairly high, like $2,000 of purchased items you can bring in before paying duty fees.

The box on the customs form you can mark that you have unaccompanied articles being shipped here is more for people like us. We shipped three pallets of stuff that we had to pick up at a port. We didn’t have to pay any customs fees at all because we checked that. But shipping one box?  She shouldn’t have a problem at all. But she could mark it just in case. 

This is the information I was looking for.  I believe these two posts, with the information on the customs webpage, answer all my questions.  I appreciate all the help.  Thank you!