Menu

Chalkdust Pre-Algebra is $335?????

momee

I did pay that. It is completely non-consumable and I have 4 dc so I kind of justified it that way.

You can find it used, but not cheap. It has high resale value so you can recoup much of your cost.

We're halfway through pre-algebra and I just think it's the greatest... so it has been worth it for us.

No doubt there are much cheaper great options. I just was really sold on Chalkdust so I took the plunge.

Marie

You can resell it in a heartbeat, for a large % of what you paid for it--at least $200, maybe more, for pre-algebra.

Also, if you buy 2 complete programs, I think you get $100 off. I did this with Alg. I and geometry, but I'd used pre-alg. before and already knew we would continue with it.

Terri

I know that it's a great program and I looked briefly into it myself, but no. We'll be going with something that fits my budget better. Thankfully I can and have taught math through calculus, so we're OK although I would have liked the option to have someone else teach DS.

I just can't blow about 1/3 of my curriculum budget on math for one kid!

If you want to try Chalkdust Prealgebra because Dana Mosely is doing the teaching. You can save a lot of money by buying Houghton MIffllin textbook by Aufmann (same author as chalkdust prealgebra) , get the student solutions manual( solutions to all odd numbers) and instructional dvds . You probably need not spend over 70.00 for everything at amazon.com or used book sites

The Houghton Mifflin Prealgebra dvds I bought at amazon.com last year for 25.00 is produced by Chalkdust company and the lecturer is Dana Mosely. The list of topics(lectures) chapter numbers (1.1, 1.2 1.3 --- all the way to the end) is the exact same sequence as what is listed in the traditional set

You just need to do some research on the net to find out what editions go together.

Ack! Really?! I had NO idea! :ack2:

Chalkdust was next on my list to review for next year's Algebra program, but Saxon is already in first place and I even talked myself out of the DIVE CD simply because I know we will use it occasionally, not daily. I don't see how I could justify $335 for our situation, but I do understand others selecting it for their families if that's what they prefer and know they will use.

If you want to try Chalkdust Prealgebra because Dana Mosely is doing the teaching. You can save a lot of money by buying Houghton MIffllin textbook by Aufmann (same author as chalkdust prealgebra) , get the student solutions manual( solutions to all odd numbers) and instructional dvds . You probably need not spend over 70.00 for everything at amazon.com or used book sites

The Houghton Mifflin Prealgebra dvds I bought at amazon.com last year for 25.00 is produced by Chalkdust company and the lecturer is Dana Mosely. The list of topics(lectures) chapter numbers (1.1, 1.2 1.3 --- all the way to the end) is the exact same sequence as what is listed in the traditional set

You just need to do some research on the net to find out what editions go together.

That is amazing information! I just researched it for myself, and it looks like a great way to get the essentials for a lot less Thank you so much for sharing this!

That is amazing information! I just researched it for myself, and it looks like a great way to get the essentials for a lot less Thank you so much for sharing this!

:iagree: I just bought the text, solutions manual and DVD's for $35, I just wanted to look at it :)

The Pre-algebra Instructional dvds I bought is 4th edition, isbn 9780618372706 , currently selling new at half.com for 25.00 , used at amazon at 19.00 ,the 4th editions of the Prealgebra book and student solutions manual are currently less than 1.00 each plus shipping

I bought only the dvds because I just needed it as a review for my ds before going to Algebra . But just wanted to say that you can do this all the way to Calculus . You may not find the exact same editions as chalkdust books but still you get Dana Mosely teaching in all the dvds . Just match up the books with their supplements . (solutions manual and DVDS)

• 2 weeks later...

I ordered it and have only received the text. Has anyone used this for Pre-algebra? How are you using this? Are the DVD lectures divided up by chapters or by sections? Does the student watch all of chapter one and then do section 1.1 assignments on one day and 1.2 on another or are the lectures just for each section? Like they would only watch 1.1 then do the assignment and then on day 2 watch 1.2 and do the assignment?(Does that make any sense?)

How does this compare to other pre-algebra programs? Will the student be ready for Algebra if they understand this material?

I checked the isbn number for the DVD on Amazon. It lists Auffmann as the author, but then lists a different one semester series class and authors in the text about the DVDs. Same with the solution manual by him. Is this still the one you want to order?

I am so happy with this purchase. I compared it to Lials BCM, Lials has more practice problems, but the Aufmann text has some really great application problems and the integrated geometry is better than I expected. I also got the students solution manual (odd answers only). The DVT/DVD covers all sections of the text.

I plan on using it like this when starting a section:

~First I read the objective of the lesson then.

~Video/DVD icon, that's when to show the Dana Mosley DVDs.

~After the DVD, read the objective again and do the "You try it." (I will do them with my dd)

~Assign odd numbered exercises

~Do ALL problems for word problems, applications & formulas, and critical thinking problems

~Test will consist of the Chapter test and odd numbers on the cumulative review

~ I will have dd do ALL of Ch.9 Geometry and Ch.10 Statistics and Probability

Them we might do Forester Algebra, unless this is a real hitn then I'll stay with the Chalkdust texts (I believe Larson is next) my dd needs more review. She did Singapore to 6A and then I kinda scanned over what she might need in Lials. She did not like Lials much so we supplemented with LOF. We went into NEM and she is really mushing along in NEM 1. She is only 10 so I think a solid year of Pre-Alg will be good.

Ugh - I SO wanted to use ChalkDust - but no $$ for it.

We're doing Life of Fred. So far, so good. I still REALLY wish I could have bought CD :(

We are doing Life of Fred after using Teaching Textbooks. We LOVE LOF and I have found that the math within them really translates to real life. My kids actually remember how to use the math and for $43 (beginning Algebra with home companion, non consumable) you just can't beat it. :001_smile: