Menu

Book a Week 2018 - BW22: Men who march Away

Robin M

My reading never seems to follow my plans.  I have been doing some painting and long distance driving so a couple of audiobooks were called for. I grabbed a couple off the Newly Arrived shelf at the library:  the woman in the window by A.J. Finn and Rules of Rain by Leah Scheier. I'm 85% finished with woman thanks to 7 hours in the car yesterday and four hours of painting the day before. I assume/hope I'll finish it today and begin Rules if the painting isn't finished.

While looking for audiobooks at the library I found the new David Sedaris book, Calypso, so I picked it up and began reading it. I have never read Sedaris before and am pleased to find that I 'get' his humor. As a result, Sweet Mandarin has been relegated to the TBR pile (of which there is a new stack growing on my nightstand).

• Like 6

Thomas Hardy has the ability to either depress me or bore me. Currently he's boring me with The Return of the Native (audio book) so I've shelved it for now. Instead I started listening to a silly mystery, Dying in the Wool. I probably need a silly mystery anyway to distract me.

I started reading The River of Doubt after seeing it mentioned (here? Goodreads? I'm not sure). It's pretty interesting so far and they haven't even started the expedition yet. I also downloaded TR's account of it as a free Kindle book. My other two non-fiction books are interesting but not engaging. I'll keep reading them but slowly. Those are Enlightenment Now and Before the Dawn

I started reading Sing, Unburied, Sing for book club but the meeting is the day of FIL's funeral. Not long before it was chosen I read a spoiler about it that made me not want to read it, but I was willing to give it a try because I always try to read book club selections. I might or might not finish it. Spoiler in white because I tried to insert a spoiler but I guess I got it wrong because the preview shows it anyway. 

Highlight here if you want the spoiler:  <spoiler> There are apparently ghosts. I get disappointed when stories have ghosts. It's the reason I have zero interest in reading Lincoln in the Bardo. It's not because I'm afraid of ghosts or because I don't believe in them - I don't - I just don't like stories where ghosts are considered real or normal. I'd almost rather have a deux ex machina than a ghost. </spoiler>

• Like 7

1 hour ago, The Accidental Coach said:

My reading never seems to follow my plans.  I have been doing some painting and long distance driving so a couple of audiobooks were called for. I grabbed a couple off the Newly Arrived shelf at the library:  the woman in the window by A.J. Finn and Rules of Rain by Leah Scheier. I'm 85% finished with woman thanks to 7 hours in the car yesterday and four hours of painting the day before. I assume/hope I'll finish it today and begin Rules if the painting isn't finished.

While looking for audiobooks at the library I found the new David Sedaris book, Calypso, so I picked it up and began reading it. I have never read Sedaris before and am pleased to find that I 'get' his humor. As a result, Sweet Mandarin has been relegated to the TBR pile (of which there is a new stack growing on my nightstand).

I just listened to an interview with him - David Sedaris on Fresh Air May 29th

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, Lady Florida. said:

Thomas Hardy has the ability to either depress me or bore me. Currently he's boring me with The Return of the Native (audio book) so I've shelved it for now. Instead I started listening to a silly mystery, Dying in the Wool. I probably need a silly mystery anyway to distract me.

I started reading The River of Doubt after seeing it mentioned (here? Goodreads? I'm not sure). It's pretty interesting so far and they haven't even started the expedition yet. I also downloaded TR's account of it as a free Kindle book. My other two non-fiction books are interesting but not engaging. I'll keep reading them but slowly. Those are Enlightenment Now and Before the Dawn

I started reading Sing, Unburied, Sing for book club but the meeting is the day of FIL's funeral. Not long before it was chosen I read a spoiler about it that made me not want to read it, but I was willing to give it a try because I always try to read book club selections. I might or might not finish it. Spoiler in white because I tried to insert a spoiler but I guess I got it wrong because the preview shows it anyway. 

Highlight here if you want the spoiler:  <spoiler> There are apparently ghosts. I get disappointed when stories have ghosts. It's the reason I have zero interest in reading Lincoln in the Bardo. It's not because I'm afraid of ghosts or because I don't believe in them - I don't - I just don't like stories where ghosts are considered real or normal. I'd almost rather have a deux ex machina than a ghost. </spoiler>

RotN bored me the first time I read it. Then I had to teach it, and I liked it much more. Go figure.

• Like 6

On 5/29/2018 at 10:53 AM, Melissa M said:

Is there a Kristin Lavransdatter challenge or read-along? In catching up with BaW, I noticed some posts about the trilogy, and after last summer’s great W&P challenge/read-along, I am more than intrigued by the idea of a KL program. Let me know. ?

I am doing a reread of KL this year. I have read Volumes 1 and 2 over the winter, and plan to read Volume 3 in the summer. I will also read some selected chapters in Danish over the summer. Would be happy to chat about it!

It seems to me that the three volumes of KL could fill up three Bingo squares: Written or Set in the 14th century, Nobel Prize Winner, and Translated.

@Robin M Congrats on the graduation! How exciting!

On 5/27/2018 at 4:45 PM, JennyD said:

My oldest son became a bar mitzvah yesterday.  It was such a joyous day for our family but I read nothing all week.

Congrats!

I am reading Peace Like a River by Leif Enger. It's tolerable. Not really my cuppa.

• Like 5

I finished A Great Deliverance (Inspector Lynley #1, Elizabeth George) today.  Very mixed feelings on the book.  I am anxious to read on in the series; I thought the writing/storytelling was very good. But the plot was just so full of ugliness. I did like that even the "good guys" were flawed people.  But, the overall story, ugh.  

• Like 10

4 hours ago, marbel said:

I finished A Great Deliverance (Inspector Lynley #1, Elizabeth George) today.  Very mixed feelings on the book.  I am anxious to read on in the series; I thought the writing/storytelling was very good. But the plot was just so full of ugliness. I did like that even the "good guys" were flawed people.  But, the overall story, ugh.  

Dh and I watched the tv series but I haven't read any of the books. If the series was true to the books then the characters are not likable. I understand an author's need to give us flawed characters so we'll believe they're real people, but I think there's a such thing as too flawed to be enjoyable. 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, marbel said:

Looking forward to hearing what you think of the second book in the series.  

53 minutes ago, Lady Florida. said:

Dh and I watched the tv series but I haven't read any of the books. If the series was true to the books then the characters are not likable. I understand authors need to give us flawed characters so we'll believe they're real people, but I think there's a such thing as too flawed to be enjoyable. 

I have only read the first book so am far from the expert but the tv series seemed a bit less grim imo.  Of course I read the book with the impression it was going to be a cozy mystery thanks to one of lists.  I had a hard time with it because it was suppose to be cozy!  I keep meaning to get back to that series because it probably was not a fair try.  My understanding is some of the later ones are a bit easier emotionally.  

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, mumto2 said:

Looking forward to hearing what you think of the second book in the series.  

I have only read the first book so am far from the expert but the tv series seemed a bit less grim imo.  Of course I read the book with the impression it was going to be a cozy mystery thanks to one of lists.  I had a hard time with it because it was suppose to be cozy!  I keep meaning to get back to that series because it probably was not a fair try.  My understanding is some of the later ones are a bit easier emotionally.  

Someone had a strange idea of "cozy" if that was on a cozy mystery list!

• Like 6

Hi guys, dropping in for my not-weekly report.  ?  I finished Miss Manners' guide to domestic tranquility.  It wasn't the best book I ever read, but hey, I got through it.  (I also bought a Miss Manners book about raising perfect kids, but I'll get to that later.  Definitely hoping that's good, LOL.) 

Now I'm reading a book about boundaries written from a Christian perspective, by Henry Cloud.  I bought the general Boundaries and also the Boundaries with Teens version; I'm reading the general one first.  I'm still in the early part and it's really not doing much for me yet, but we'll see.

Finally finished the slow read-aloud I was doing for the past several months.  I think I'll start Spy School next.  I also want to do a bunch of nonfiction kid books now that school is out.  My thought is to do at least one nonfiction reading in addition to a fun fiction one during the summer months.  Not sure which day I will start that.

Our current audio book is My Friend Flicka.  In some ways it's a little old for my kids, even though the main character is only 10yo.  There is more cussing and harsh talk and blood & guts than I remembered.  But it's got my kids interested and we're enjoying it.

• Like 10

I'm taking a break from chores to report that I did finish the woman in the window audiobook. I'm giving it 3 stars.

The narrator was decent (nice articulation, pleasant to listen to) and that helped. The book, however, was a tad long for me (almost 14 hours). Now, don't get me wrong. I can listen to long audiobooks - if they are captivating. this one was not quite there. The protagonist had a drinking problem that was discussed way too much. If it were a print book I would go back and count how many times the words sip, wine, and merlot were used throughout the book. I honestly think the book could have been edited a bit more to make some parts less tedious. There were times I wanted a glass of wine to help me get through a couple of chapters.

The storyline was interesting: a PhD develops agoraphobia after a life trauma and spends her time looking through her camera lens at the neighbors until (you've guessed it) she sees something she shouldn't. Things go downhill from there. You have the intrusive neighbor, the hunky tenant, the pair of police officers, a missing woman, allegations of hallucinations and so on and so forth. The ending was a bit of a let down and inevitable after the big reveal of who-dun-it.

I would say this book is good for those like black and white movies (lots of references throughout), merlot, and/or psychological semi-thrillers.

--

Now, it's off to watch the carpet dry (I steamcleaned after I painted) and to listen to Rules of Rain by Leah Scheier. I wonder how long I should wait before putting the furniture into the room? I guess I'll wash the windows while I wait on the carpet. Having a completely fresh room for DS is nice. He's never had a real bedroom in our home before (5 people in a  2.5 bedroom house).

• Like 8

1 minute ago, The Accidental Coach said:

I'm taking a break from chores to report that I did finish the woman in the window audiobook. I'm giving it 3 stars.

The narrator was decent (nice articulation, pleasant to listen to) and that helped. The book, however, was a tad long for me (almost 14 hours). Now, don't get me wrong. I can listen to long audiobooks - if they are captivating. this one was not quite there. The protagonist had a drinking problem that was discussed way too much. If it were a print book I would go back and count how many times the words sip, wine, and merlot were used throughout the book. I honestly think the book could have been edited a bit more to make some parts less tedious. There were times I wanted a glass of wine to help me get through a couple of chapters.

The storyline was interesting: a PhD develops agoraphobia after a life trauma and spends her time looking through her camera lens at the neighbors until (you've guessed it) she sees something she shouldn't. Things go downhill from there. You have the intrusive neighbor, the hunky tenant, the pair of police officers, a missing woman, allegations of hallucinations and so on and so forth. The ending was a bit of a let down and inevitable after the big reveal of who-dun-it.

I would say this book is good for those like black and white movies (lots of references throughout), merlot, and/or psychological semi-thrillers.

Was one of the movie references to Hitchcock's Rear Window?

• Like 9

23 minutes ago, The Accidental Coach said:

I There were times I wanted a glass of wine to help me get through a couple of chapters.

??

20 minutes ago, Violet Crown said:

Was one of the movie references to Hitchcock's Rear Window?

Yep. I immediately thought of Rear Window as I was reading the description.

• Like 8

7 hours ago, marbel said:

5 hours ago, Lady Florida. said:

Dh and I watched the tv series but I haven't read any of the books. If the series was true to the books then the characters are not likable. I understand an author's need to give us flawed characters so we'll believe they're real people, but I think there's a such thing as too flawed to be enjoyable. 

The Inspector Lynley books are a mixed bag. Definitely NOT cozy! Kathy (Lady Florida), you might enjoy them as they are better than the tv series. The good guys are flawed but I think very likable, except for a certain female character (a wife of a secondary character) who is annoying to no end and unfortunately is featured from time to time. A few titles are fairly dark and gruesome, but I've kept with them over the years in spite of that, as I like Detective Lynley and DS Havers. 

• Like 7

I have been trying to finish a couple of my open books. I am 75% theough Flâneur, which should be a good book about the art of wandering on foot through Paris, yet isn’t. A good book, that is. I like the language choices, but the structure is terrible. I like all things France, so that is one aspect I enjoy. The worst chapter is where he talks about the game of trying to pick up women. Gag. That part was ridiculous. Also, obtuse; did the author think only h@rny young players would read this book? 

I am still listening to The Hunchback of Notre Dame on audiobook. Bill Homewood as the narrator is superb! I intend to see if he also narrates Les Miserables. I had goaled to complete one classic per month, but that just is not happening. Big books take longer to read, it turns out. ? 

I finally finished reading The Brain That Changes Itself. This was a very interesting book but it got tedious. There was also some weird thing with structure. The kindle called the book completed just beyond the 50% point. Then, it had “Appendicies” which read 100% just like additional chapters. The book was actually finished at something like 65%; the remainder was the copious Bib. 

I have begun Gilead, which is my IRL book club book. I do not love it so far, though. It’s very stream-of-consciousness, which I don’t much like. I hate trying to figure out what the narrator is talking about and who Rebecca is, etc. 

I finished The $64 Tomato, which is a hilarious gardening memoir. I could relate to so many things he wrote. I also find that I love William Alexander’s style. (Could a name sound more like a former President of The United States?) I loved it so much I immediately dl’ed Flirting With French by him. So I am reading two books relating to France and listening to one classic set in Paris. 

@Lady Florida. so sorry for your loss. 

• Like 7

@Kareni, thank you for the mention. I’ll need to check out the book. As you know, I’m a fan of economic/finance fiction and non-fiction.

Just an update on me, I’m sorry I haven’t posted. Weeks have passed where I didn’t finished a book as life has made it tough to concentrate on reading. Right now, I’m working through Charlaine Harris’s Sookie Stackhouse series and a few audio books. Light reading, that doesn’t require much thought, has helped me make it through some tough times recently.

Hugs, prayers, and good thoughts to those who need it.

• Like 7
  • Sad 2

32 minutes ago, ErinE said:

@Kareni, thank you for the mention. I’ll need to check out the book. As you know, I’m a fan of economic/finance fiction and non-fiction.

Just an update on me, I’m sorry I haven’t posted. Weeks have passed where I didn’t finished a book as life has made it tough to concentrate on reading. Right now, I’m working through Charlaine Harris’s Sookie Stackhouse series and a few audio books. Light reading, that doesn’t require much thought, has helped me make it through some tough times recently.

Hugs, prayers, and good thoughts to those who need it.

Hugs, my sweet. I was just about to ask about you and other missing chicks.  Sookie Stackhouse series is great fluff reading to take mind off of troubles.  

Do we know when Negin will be back from her Tuscan holiday?  

• Like 4

4 hours ago, SKL said:

Our current audio book is My Friend Flicka.  In some ways it's a little old for my kids, even though the main character is only 10yo.  There is more cussing and harsh talk and blood & guts than I remembered.  But it's got my kids interested and we're enjoying it.

I still have my childhood copy of My Friend Flicka; it's one of the few books that survived multiple moves as I grew up and then married. 

17 minutes ago, ErinE said:

You're quite welcome.  And now I know how one is notified if one is tagged, so thank you!

Regards,
Kareni

• Like 3