Menu

Another school shooting

lexi

This one is right down the street from me. 

Two injured I think. No deaths reported. Shooter in custody. 

It has been chaos here. I am so so sad. 

https://www.wthr.com/article/shots-reported-at-noblesville-west-middle-school

I’m sitting here at the dentist with all my kids. I’m so thankful that we’re all here together right now. So many emergency vehicles. It’s been terrifying. 

• Sad 15

11 minutes ago, lexi said:

It was a middle school. And it sounds like the shooter was a student. It’s not quite clear yet. 

Middle school aged kids bringing guns to school with the idea of killing others??? My mind boggles.

This news has not even made the headlines in my part of the country yet. Goes to show how casually news media treats school shootings where there are no deaths reported. I am sad ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mathnerd said:

This news has not even made the headlines in my part of the country yet. Goes to show how casually news media treats school shootings where there are no deaths reported. I am sad ?

It was reported a few hours ago on our local ABC7News  http://abc7news.com/suspect-in-active-shooter-situation-taken-into-custody-at-indiana-middle-school/3520630/

ETA:

Student says science teacher tackled Indiana school shooter http://abc7news.com/student-says-science-teacher-tackled-indiana-school-shooter/3520630/?sf190388313=1

I'm local as well. Reports from police on TV a bit ago said the male student asked to leave the room and when he returned he had two handguns. The teacher and a female student were injured. The police said it was contained to that one room but offered no other information.

The teacher's mom posted on social media that he was shot three times but was out of surgery and doing well. Other students say he stopped the shooter.

I feel so bad for those kids that they had to see any of it and can't imagine how scary it was. My own dc said they expect it at their own high school and they always look for places to hide or quick ways to get out. None of this is okay. 

• Sad 5

12 minutes ago, Joker said:

I'm local as well. Reports from police on TV a bit ago said the male student asked to leave the room and when he returned he had two handguns. The teacher and a female student were injured. The police said it was contained to that one room but offered no other information.

The teacher's mom posted on social media that he was shot three times but was out of surgery and doing well. Other students say he stopped the shooter.

I feel so bad for those kids that they had to see any of it and can't imagine how scary it was. My own dc said they expect it at their own high school and they always look for places to hide or quick ways to get out. None of this is okay. 

Thanks for posting an update. I’ve been trying to keep up with the latest reports. I’m so thankful the teacher is doing ok. 

4 hours ago, lexi said:

Thanks for posting an update. I’ve been trying to keep up with the latest reports. I’m so thankful the teacher is doing ok. 

It finally made it to headline news: http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/23606304/former-southern-illinois-salukis-de-jason-seaman-intervenes-school-shooting-shot-3-s

He was a former football player (the hero teacher). shooter was a 7th grader ?

Shooter is not identified yet, but, I will bet $5 it is a male student who is white. Like the vast majority of school shooters. 
I only bring this up because my facebook feed is full of  "it's because of lax parenting / kids these days / lack of God in schools". But there is a slim demographic when it comes to people who choose this method of violence.  Always male, often attacking a girl he has stalked, almost always white.

Of course this is terrible, just awful.   But no one is surprised, at all.

17 hours ago, poppy said:

Shooter is not identified yet, but, I will bet $5 it is a male student who is white. Like the vast majority of school shooters. 
I only bring this up because my facebook feed is full of  "it's because of lax parenting / kids these days / lack of God in schools". But there is a slim demographic when it comes to people who choose this method of violence.  Always male, often attacking a girl he has stalked, almost always white.

Of course this is terrible, just awful.   But no one is surprised, at all.

I agree, I have wondered why the vast majority of these school shooters are white and or middle to upper class These are kids without much parental involvement.

Just yesterday, I read of yet one more dead baby who was forgotten by a parent in the back seat of a car.

There's a greatly disturbing, ominous theme unaddressed in our society. When did we become so totally self absorbed?

What an incredibly heroic and encouraging act that the teacher tackled the shooter to disarm him.