Menu

pens and planners

Are they older Frixion markers? Mine are newer, now made by Pilot. :(

I've tried writing on a variety of different papers....

on an average grade paper, they leave ghosting lines and bleed through

on cheap paper, they don't erase much at all, and there's some tearing or lift from the paper

on high end paper, there's ghosting but no bleed through

I have been trying all of the pens. I would probably rank my favorite pens as:

1. Staedtler fineliners (because they are SO fine)

2. Uniball Vision Needle (fine)

3. Pilot Precision Grip (extra fine)

4. Sharpie

5. Pilot G-2

6. Zebra z-grip flight

7. Ink Joys (which don't bring me much joy)

I just pulled up a YouTube video about Frixion pens because they sound really cool. People in the comments were talking about the message reappearing in the cold and disappearing on its own in the heat due to the way the ink is made. Does anyone have any experience with that?

We like hotel pens here. No idea what brands those are but our hotel pen collection is mainly from Hyatt and Hilton hotels due to staying there for business trips.

I just pulled up a YouTube video about Frixion pens because they sound really cool. People in the comments were talking about the message reappearing in the cold and disappearing on its own in the heat due to the way the ink is made. Does anyone have any experience with that?

My kids wrote a note using Frixion and purposely left it on the dashboard of our car when we park at an open air car park on a hot summer day (> 100dF) just to see if it does work. It fade but did not disappear completely. My kids tried with black, red and blue Frixion pens.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/23/2018 at 9:31 PM, YodaGirl said:

Yes. It is why I stopped using Frixion. My VBS notes were in a notebook in the car (during the summer) and disappeared! Luckily I noticed before I arrived at church to teach and could put it in the freezer to make them reappear (sort of) But I stopped using them immediately.

I love the way they feel but I can't have my work disappearing on me.

• Like 1

On 3/23/2018 at 10:26 PM, Arcadia said:

We like hotel pens here. No idea what brands those are but our hotel pen collection is mainly from Hyatt and Hilton hotels due to staying there for business trips.

My kids wrote a note using Frixion and purposely left it on the dashboard of our car when we park at an open air car park on a hot summer day (> 100dF) just to see if it does work. It fade but did not disappear completely. My kids tried with black, red and blue Frixion pens.

I wonder if the difference is they left it in a stationary car -- and mine was in a notebook. So back and front of paper. In a moving car (So those pages may well have rubbed against each other just slightly and thus accentuated the erasing part)

I'm a lefty, so I'm picky with my pens. My favorite pen is the Uniball Jetstream Retractable in 0.7mm with black ink. For my colorful pens, I like the retractable Pilot G-2 in the 0.7mm size. I have no bleed through with either pen, even on cheap notebook paper.

• Like 1

I tried the Frixion and was so bummed with how quickly they died, especially considering how much they cost!  :(  I like PaperMate InkJoy pens because they come in a nice selection of colors and don't bleed, but they have to have a silicone type gripper on the end - there are others with the same name, but without the gripper, and the ink doesn't flow nicely from the those styles.  I do wish they had some finer-tips and were erasable...

• Like 1

I've been using the Frixion fine points exclusively for a year and never had a problem. I can't stand other pens now! My notebooks stay in the house though. They do run out quicker than other pens, but I buy the refills in bulk and it's not bad. I write every morning, and also do planning. I recently switched from my Panda Planner to trying a bullet journal. For that, I got the Frixion colored marker style and I've liked those too. They work well with the stencils.

• Like 1

The frixion markers are not great. You want the fine 0.7 mm ink gel roller pilot retractable frixion multicolor pack of 7. I cannot live without them. They erase beautifully and make my planner so manageable since I color code each kid. 

My favorite planner is the Elan weekly lesson plan book edition #8wpl. It is so wonderful. Each week has a fold out portion. It is good size, has days down the left and boxes for 8 subjects. The weekly fold in section has a "plan for the week" section, a materials needed section, appointment or conference section and a special events section. It is wonderful! 

I also love the Frixion line. I've found there are several varieties on Amazon. We have the tricolor one for fine tip and the seven clicker back for normal writing. 

I use a blank dot grid journal (artists something or other from Michaels for $5) as a bullet journal and they work well. 

After seeing this thread I was in Target and saw a journal (Rocketbook) whose gimmick was you can microwave it to erase it --  and it comes with a Frixion pen.  So I wonder if it is the ink more than the journal?  My kids love frixion pens for doing schoolwork -- particularly math.  I think they are nice and we haven't had issues with them, though being old I prefer writing my important stuff in old-fashioned ink.

I just bought some Frixion (are they pronounced "friction" or "fix with an r + ion"??) pens yesterday. I've also heard some good things about papermate's erasermates, but Walmart was out of them at the moment.

Frixions will serve a purpose, although I won't be using them for schoolwork or planners. I do a lot of pre-planning in various notebooks, and they'll work great for that.  They write smoothly and erase well.  I was pretty impressed.

Unfortunately, heat really does make the ink disappear.  While I can toss it into the freezer, everything reappears, including all the things I'd erased and rewrote. Not cool. :(

Does anyone have any experience with erasermates?

• Like 1

On 4/13/2018 at 3:55 PM, blue plaid said:

After seeing this thread I was in Target and saw a journal (Rocketbook) whose gimmick was you can microwave it to erase it --  and it comes with a Frixion pen.  So I wonder if it is the ink more than the journal?  My kids love frixion pens for doing schoolwork -- particularly math.  I think they are nice and we haven't had issues with them, though being old I prefer writing my important stuff in old-fashioned ink.

We have Rocketbook Everlasts for certain journaling/note taking. This style has wipe-clean pages. 

The ink on plain paper will disappear with heat. 

On 4/13/2018 at 4:55 PM, blue plaid said:

I also think frixion success depends on where you live. I am in Western Washington and have used them for planners, color coding each kid, for almost 3 years without issue. We used them for our marauders map activity and held them over heat to make them disappear...things like that. For me though, even taking my planner in the car in 85 degree heat has never erased any of it. In hotter climates all bets are off.