Menu

Online classes leading to AP Language and AP Literature

Just wondering about the online classes that your students have taken before AP Language and AP Literature.

It sounds like from another poster that perhaps WTMA Rhetoric 1 is adequate preparation for taking an AP Language class and that WTMA Rhetoric 2 might be covering the same topics as AP Language class so that taking the latter two would be redundant.

I'm trying to plan for the next 2 years and would like to know what sequence of online English or Lit classes your students have taken that have made AP Language and AP Literature manageable and not overwhelming.

ETA: There are a lot of choices for writing such as Rhetoric with a number of vendors, English Honors with Blue Tent, Lit Analysis with Lange, Great Books which incorporates a fair number of writing assignments with CLRC. Just trying to figure out if we meander a bit with different providers are we going to end up learning about the same thing. I would like to avoid a class that may not add to Dd's writing ability. And, I hope that she can take AP Language or Lit earlier than later in high school with the right foundation so that it's not an overwhelming class that should have been taken after such and such class.

Edited by crazyforlatin
  • Like 6

My children have not taken any online classes before AP Lang or AP Lit.  My ds and I did TOG for 3 years before AP Lit and he scored a 5 on the exam (after taking Maya Inspektor's class at PA Homeschoolers).  My dd is taking Mrs. Inspektor's AP Lang class this year, and will take AP Lit next year with her.  I used several different programs with her, so we will see how she does.  I think the class that has helped my children with writing the most has been debate  :001_smile:

• Like 1

In the two years leading up to AP English Language & Composition, my daughter worked through Kolbe's honors Greek lit & history and Medieval/Early Renaissance lit & history. We did them at home, but she did follow the entire syllabus, including writing weekly papers for lit and history. She also took Write@Home classes those years. That was good prep for a successful AP year with PA Homeschoolers.

• Like 2

Mine did the sophomore year level of Write at Home (not sure if those classes are currently labeled the same way) during her freshman year, and had no trouble with AP Lit or AP Lang in the next two years. Her lang arts foundation was the Rod and Staff books (So.Much.Diagramming.) through elementary and middle school following the initial First Language Lessons book (which was a brand new thing back then, and had no follow up material at the time.)

I was looking at Writeathome last night. I was wondering which high school writing class (annual) to start with because ds (9th next yr) wants to do AP Lang in 10th. Currently in 8th he's doing WHA Fund of Expository Writing and he's done Rod & Staff English 3-8. Writeathome recommends to start with high school 1 class, but I wonder if it will be rigorous enough?

Also, do the writeathome tutors help with teaching students to write concisely, eloquently, maturing their writing? (does this make sense?) Ds had had multiple writing classes that emphasize grammar usage, mechanics etc - now he needs to go to the next level.  

http://www.writeathome.com/high-school-composition-1-annual

http://www.writeathome.com/new-page-1/

Any advice from those who have btdt would be appreciated!!

Thank you!

Edited by SS in MD
  • Like 1

Dd took Middle School 3, High school 1 and 2, and both Essay Workshops over the course of grades 8 through 10.

We found that the courses are what you make of them. Dd was a strong writer to begin with, but we went with grade level classes. Her coaches were good at challenging her and stretching her to new levels as long as she put the effort into her work. She then took and enjoyed AP English in grade 11.

You could always condense and take the semester versions of both High School 1 and 2 in a single year to get the best of both courses.

Another idea would be a semester of one of the high school classes followed by a semester of the essay workshops. They seemed a step up to us from the others & were excellent prep for the AP year.

• Like 2

I was looking at Writeathome last night. I was wondering which high school writing class (annual) to start with because ds (9th next yr) wants to do AP Lang in 10th. Currently in 8th he's doing WHA Fund of Expository Writing and he's done Rod & Staff English 3-8. Writeathome recommends to start with high school 1 class, but I wonder if it will be rigorous enough?

Also, do the writeathome tutors help with teaching students to write concisely, eloquently, maturing their writing? (does this make sense?) Ds had had multiple writing classes that emphasize grammar usage, mechanics etc - now he needs to go to the next level.  

Thank you!

Mine did the equivalent of "2" as a freshman. It worked out fine for her.

Thank you!

Dd used WAH her junior year. She did the year year 4 class. I emailed them since they recommend everyone starts with year 1 and they were fine with placing her at that level (she had done Blue Tent Honors Eng 2 - a bad fit, and DE comp 1). For her it was very helpful. It was a slower pace with an emphasis on revising and perfecting work instead of just cranking things out as fast as possible. She was able to mature her writing and improve her final product. 

I don't know what level would be best for your ds, but I'd email them and tell them where he has been and where you are trying to get him and let them help you make the decision. They were responsive and helpful with me.

• Like 1