Menu

Weight Lifting/Fitness Plan you like?

momto3innc

Over the last few years some physical issues combined with crazy life stress has meant that diet and fitness went by the wayside.  I used to workout a ton and be fairly physically fit.  I gained about 15-20 pounds and exercise became super spotty.

I've gotten my eating back in line and lost about 8-9 pounds.  Ideally would love another 8-10.  However, the bigger issue is I'm just flabby.  I've been ramping up my physical stuff over the last few months...but mainly just walking and running and I have realized I just have to make a priority on weight lifting/weight bearing exercise again, particularly as I get older.

While I know what to do with weights since I've done it before, my personality does really, really well with a plan that I have to follow (same reason sticker charts worked for me as a kid  :laugh: ).  So...does anyone have any plans they've followed in the past that have really been a good jump start?  I'm thinking like a 12 week type thing...maybe a book or DVD series or something online? Obviously it was videos I'd just follow them, but I'm also picturing a book that has a good specific plan it in for weight training.  I know once I got going, I would be good to keep going, but a specific plan and end point would be good to get me up and going.  I have some hand weights and bands at home I could hunt down and have a gym membership I could use also.

Bonus points if you've followed the plan and can tell me how it worked for you.

• Like 2

I would try one of Fitness Blender's plans. You buy the plan once and then can use it as often as you want.

I use Fitness Blender's videos but don't follow their plans. I have a patellar tracking issue that is not remediated with strength training and physical therapy, so I don't do any lunges.  So I have chosen not to do the programs as I cannot decide what videos I can modify versus not.  

If you choose to design your own plan, you just add the workouts to the calendar on the days you want, and then when you complete them you mark them complete in the calendar. I love it.  I believe if you choose a plan, it will add it to your calendar automatically--you just tell it when you want to start. 

I personally really like Fitness Blender. This is the most consistent I have ever been, the strongest I have ever been, and no one is yelling at me. =)  I like that the people in the videos (a couple, Daniel and Kelli) are so relatable.  They do a great job walking you through the proper form, etc. 

ETA: The videos are all free. The plans cost money but are inexpensive.

Edited by cintinative
  • Like 1

It's great that you are back on track with food and exercise!  You are actually doing weight-baring activity with walking and running, by the way, which is excellent. Body weight is a pretty heavy load, and your leg muscles and joints are carrying it around all the time. When you run, the weight-baring load is drastically increased.

So why not focus on core strength and upper body, to balance the running you are already doing?  Planks and push-ups are wonderful for core and upper body strength, but they are pretty tough mentally and physically to keep up a program on your own. It's much easier if you can do them with another person. Is there a family member you could do a push-up challenge with? There are a lot of "Push-up Challenges" on-line you can try out. 

• Like 2

https://newbie-fitness.blogspot.com/2007/01/stripped-5x5.html

If you feel like investing in the equipment, that is!  (ETA: oh or a gym membership; the thought never occurs to me, lol.)  I highly recommend barbell over dumbbells, but adjustable dumbbells can work.

I read on a lifting forum that 35 benching is a perfectly acceptable weight for beginning women, 45 for men.  I was surprised, and relieved.   :laugh:

Edited by CES2005
  • Like 1

A few I have liked in the past:

You Are Your Own Gym: book is good, but the app is fantastic and offers four levels of 10 week plans, as well as video options for an additional price.

Body By You (same author, aimed at women)

New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women book (requires a gym)

These would be my recommendations.

NROLW does require at least a home gym (I use weightplates/bar, a bench, a squat rack, an exercise ball, and dumbbells).  I like this program because there is definite progress.  It's so nice to see how much more you can lift each day, and I can tell a difference in my strength.

• Like 2

If you want weight lifting (and have weights or are planning on going to a gym with some equipment) I really like Nia Shanks plan from Lift Like a Girl (if you have kindle unlimited you can borrow it for free).

The gist is this you do 2 different work-outs both are full body and you aim to do 2-3 workouts a week (with a rest day between lifting days). You just alternate the 2 workouts, do A one day, B the next, rinse and repeat.

She focuses on compound lifts that work multiple muscles and not isolation exercises. 

She has videos of all these on her site- and much more detail in the book (if you need it)- everything is 4 sets, reps 5-7

Workout A:

Squat

Bench Press

Chin-ups (can use assist machine or practice negatives or start by doing pull-ups from a bar and work your way towards parallel)

Workout B:

Deadlifts

Rows

Barbell Press

She also has plans for bodyweight exercises if that's your preference and does suggest that as a good place to start for those starting out. I had been doing bodyweight stuff the last few years myself but switched to lifting in December because I wanted to change things up.

I like her plans b/c they are simple and I dont' feel like doing my own thing right now. I like that she focuses on the big movements too.

eta- I just started Nia's plan 2 wks ago, back in December I started lifting using Strong Lifts 5x5 which is very similar, so I've been lifting for 11 wks now (if I did my math right!). When I started I was at a gym with few weights so I had to improvise and modify. I started a new gym the beginning of February that has all the equipment I need and more weights than I could ever lift :) 

As far as weight I've only lost 3 lbs but my thyroid was out of whack and I just got my dosage upped the beginning of Feb. My clothes are fitting better however, my waist is down 1.5 in and my thighs .5 -1 inches, I don't really measure anywhere else

I just really started deadlifting the beginning of February and have gone from sets at 65# to 115# but can do up to 135. 

I started with goblet squats at 25# and now do back squats with 65#

I just started the bench in February as well and haven't increased a ton on weight but am doing more reps

I went from 15 lb to 30 lb bent over rows, I do TBar rows now and do them at 65-70#

I started shoulder presses at 5lb each arm and my last 2 sets of barbell presses last night was 40lb (total)

Edited by soror
  • Like 2

I would try one of Fitness Blender's plans. You buy the plan once and then can use it as often as you want.

I use Fitness Blender's videos but don't follow their plans. I have a patellar tracking issue that is not remediated with strength training and physical therapy, so I don't do any lunges.  So I have chosen not to do the programs as I cannot decide what videos I can modify versus not.  

If you choose to design your own plan, you just add the workouts to the calendar on the days you want, and then when you complete them you mark them complete in the calendar. I love it.  I believe if you choose a plan, it will add it to your calendar automatically--you just tell it when you want to start. 

I personally really like Fitness Blender. This is the most consistent I have ever been, the strongest I have ever been, and no one is yelling at me. =)  I like that the people in the videos (a couple, Daniel and Kelli) are so relatable.  They do a great job walking you through the proper form, etc. 

ETA: The videos are all free. The plans cost money but are inexpensive.

This looks great!  I'll look over it more over the new couple days, but I really liked what I saw today.

• Like 1

A few I have liked in the past:

You Are Your Own Gym: book is good, but the app is fantastic and offers four levels of 10 week plans, as well as video options for an additional price.

Body By You (same author, aimed at women)

New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women book (requires a gym)

You know, I've heard about You Are Your Own Gym a bunch of times before, but have never actually read it.  Looking over it online, I've totally done a lot of the things in it, but having it altogether with a plan from the app would be perfect.  Think I'm going to buy the book before we had on vacation in a few days.  That way I'd be ready to start when we get back.

If you want weight lifting (and have weights or are planning on going to a gym with some equipment) I really like Nia Shanks plan from Lift Like a Girl (if you have kindle unlimited you can borrow it for free).

The gist is this you do 2 different work-outs both are full body and you aim to do 2-3 workouts a week (with a rest day between lifting days). You just alternate the 2 workouts, do A one day, B the next, rinse and repeat.

She focuses on compound lifts that work multiple muscles and not isolation exercises. 

She has videos of all these on her site- and much more detail in the book (if you need it)- everything is 4 sets, reps 5-7

Workout A:

Squat

Bench Press

Chin-ups (can use assist machine or practice negatives or start by doing pull-ups from a bar and work your way towards parallel)

Workout B:

Deadlifts

Rows

Barbell Press

She also has plans for bodyweight exercises if that's your preference and does suggest that as a good place to start for those starting out. I had been doing bodyweight stuff the last few years myself but switched to lifting in December because I wanted to change things up.

I like her plans b/c they are simple and I dont' feel like doing my own thing right now. I like that she focuses on the big movements too.

eta- I just started Nia's plan 2 wks ago, back in December I started lifting using Strong Lifts 5x5 which is very similar, so I've been lifting for 11 wks now (if I did my math right!). When I started I was at a gym with few weights so I had to improvise and modify. I started a new gym the beginning of February that has all the equipment I need and more weights than I could ever lift :)

As far as weight I've only lost 3 lbs but my thyroid was out of whack and I just got my dosage upped the beginning of Feb. My clothes are fitting better however, my waist is down 1.5 in and my thighs .5 -1 inches, I don't really measure anywhere else

I just really started deadlifting the beginning of February and have gone from sets at 65# to 115# but can do up to 135. 

I started with goblet squats at 25# and now do back squats with 65#

I just started the bench in February as well and haven't increased a ton on weight but am doing more reps

I went from 15 lb to 30 lb bent over rows, I do TBar rows now and do them at 65-70#

I started shoulder presses at 5lb each arm and my last 2 sets of barbell presses last night was 40lb (total)

Those are great results!! Super inspiring...I'll get the book on kindle and see what I think.

Nia Shanks (I agree with Soror) or New Rules of Lifting: Strong . The New Rules programs also focus on the complex lifts like deadlifts, squats, push-ups, pull-ups etc rather than working smaller groups like biceps. (They get worked when you do a pulling exercise) 

If you want to use your body weight, Try "You Are Your Own Gym" by Mark Lauren. I think there is a version for women out, but I don't have that one. 

• Like 1