Menu

Does this sound right? Medical charge...

bodiesmom

Does a charge of over 4 grand sound right for a breast biopsy? The majority of the charge is for operating room use, but I wasn't technically in an OR. I was in the regular room where they ultrasound your breast and was given a local anesthetic.

I know medical costs are high, but this seems outrageous for a procedure that lasted less than 30 minutes. Am I just THAT out of touch???

I see outrageous charges and then I see how much my insurance pays them.  What they pay them is much more reasonable though I was shocked by how little they paid my dd's surgeon for a shoulder surgery ten years ago.  It was more involved surgery than expected and he was being paid less than a car mechanic per hour.

• Like 3

Sigh....okay then.

Sounds like it is about "right".

This is insane.

It just caught me off guard because my portion of the bill is just about the same as my portion of the surgery to remove the sucker (thankfully it was benign).

Thank you for your input!

• Like 1

Does a charge of over 4 grand sound right for a breast biopsy? The majority of the charge is for operating room use, but I wasn't technically in an OR. I was in the regular room where they ultrasound your breast and was given a local anesthetic.

I know medical costs are high, but this seems outrageous for a procedure that lasted less than 30 minutes. Am I just THAT out of touch???

I just checked my records. I had a biopsy in each breast in 2016 at a stand-alone breast center that is associated with the near-by hospital.  The total billed for the biopsies, not including the pathology fee, was $7500.  My insurance cut that down to a $2,000 allowed amount.

Was the $4 grand the total billed or after insurance discount?

• Like 1

I just checked my records. I had a biopsy in each breast in 2016 at a stand-alone breast center that is associated with the near-by hospital. The total billed for the biopsies, not including the pathology fee, was $7500. My insurance cut that down to a $2,000 allowed amount.

Was the $4 grand the total billed or after insurance discount?

Good question- 4 grand was before insurance....but I'm still paying a hefty chunk. I'm thankful for the insurance I have though....😄

I had an upper GI scope this past summer.  They look down the esophagus and take a few biopsies.  It takes about 2 hours from prep, knock you out, do the procedure, recover, and then kick you out.  Thousands.  Ugh... I felt sicker after I saw the bills than when I went in to have in done.  LOL

Glad you had good results though!

I had an upper GI scope this past summer.  They look down the esophagus and take a few biopsies.  It takes about 2 hours from prep, knock you out, do the procedure, recover, and then kick you out.  Thousands.  Ugh... I felt sicker after I saw the bills than when I went in to have in done.  LOL

Glad you had good results though!

Is this the same as endoscopy?  I'm having one next week and am afraid of the cost.  :(  

OP - medical costs are crazy!  If you can afford it, can you call and ask if they will give you a discount for paying in full?  I received ten percent off my hospital bill last year for doing that.