Menu

Where to buy boy clothes after Carter's/Oshkosh?

Noreen Claire

Younger boys are almost 9, almost 6, almost 4, and 16 months.

Almost all of their clothes (that weren't hand-me-downs from cousins) were bought at Carter's/Oshkosh. I've kept everything, mending rips & tears as needed, passing things down to the next boy. DS8 is now taller every time I look at him and outgrowing all of his clothes!

Where do you buy sturdy, well-made boy clothes for boys, sized 12 or 14 and larger, that will hold up over multiple children?

I used to get such great deals at Carter's/Oshkosh and the quality of clothes was excellent - I will miss that place.

My oldest sons are four boys born within six years, so they shared a lot of clothes. I always heard great things about Lands End, but there was no store near me and I don't shop for clothes online. But they were always the first suggestion people had for me, so definitely try them!

I had the best luck with Gap. They have good sales, and I can sometimes find them secondhand (at Once Upon A Child type or Ebay, as opposed to thrift stores.) I bought basic tees, shorts, swim trunks, sweaters, slacks, and jeans. I filled those in with Target or Old Navy tees, which often tore after 1-2 kids or years but were fine for playground play and around the house. 

These boys are now older teens and adults. Gap is still our go-to for jeans, basic tees, and sweaters. Gymboree had decent quality, too, but I didn't care for their "lines" or look. I bought their pajamas and basic sweatshirts/hoodies though because I hated how Gap's all had their name in huge letters across the chests. 

Sears also had a great plan for jeans when they were younger. I can't remember the brand, but any time the knees wore or tore you could bring them in for an exchange and get a new pair. That was awesome. I heard they did away with that. Maybe Sears was done away with, I don't remember. I stopped shopping there once the boys hit middle school and took better care of their jeans. 

• Like 1

I buy my 10 year old pants and dress shirts from Old Navy and Children’s place. I typically wait until jeans and khakis are under $10 which happens often enough that when he needs the next size I don’t have to wait too long. Online Children’s Place you can get slim (or husky sizes) if needed.

For everyday shirts I’ve had the best luck with LandsEnd and Gap being similar quality to Carters. They are more expensive brands so I look for deals on clearance. Occasionally I’ll find something elsewhere like TJ Maxx for UnderArmor that won’t break the bank.

• Like 1

I think Carters makes the Cat & Jack stuff at Target. It's not quite the same quality, but it's ok. The cut is a little wider on some things, where on Carter I could pretty easily find things to fit my slim ds. Gap and LandsEnd both make slim pants that look terrific on my ds. I just don't usually want to pay the price, but yeah gorgeous. When I find deals I stock up.

Right now though I'm making due with Target Cat&Jack for pants. Their lined pants have been fine this winter, and lined is all ds wears in the winter. Not really happy with their shirts (too rad), but I have another year to figure that out. You do know that Oshkosh goes to higher sizes, right? So this year I bought the $5 door buster long sleeve tshirts from Oshkosh instead of Carters. It's all the same site online, just changing tabs. You can even check out with both together. So I'll stick with their shirts until they run out of sizes. 

For long sleeve, dress shirts, I like the Ralph Lauren from Kohls. Cat & Jack has some cute ties btw. I just picked up two in store.

• Like 1

My oldest sons are four boys born within six years, so they shared a lot of clothes. I always heard great things about Lands End, but there was no store near me and I don't shop for clothes online. But they were always the first suggestion people had for me, so definitely try them!

I had the best luck with Gap. They have good sales, and I can sometimes find them secondhand (at Once Upon A Child type or Ebay, as opposed to thrift stores.) I bought basic tees, shorts, swim trunks, sweaters, slacks, and jeans. I filled those in with Target or Old Navy tees, which often tore after 1-2 kids or years but were fine for playground play and around the house. 

These boys are now older teens and adults. Gap is still our go-to for jeans, basic tees, and sweaters. Gymboree had decent quality, too, but I didn't care for their "lines" or look. I bought their pajamas and basic sweatshirts/hoodies though because I hated how Gap's all had their name in huge letters across the chests. 

Sears also had a great plan for jeans when they were younger. I can't remember the brand, but any time the knees wore or tore you could bring them in for an exchange and get a new pair. That was awesome. I heard they did away with that. Maybe Sears was done away with, I don't remember. I stopped shopping there once the boys hit middle school and took better care of their jeans. 

For my 10 year old we go to Gap or Kohl's.  Unfortunately, I cannot recommend Kohl's for lasting through 4 boys as too many of the pants we get there have holes before he outgrows them

• Like 1

For my 10 year old we go to Gap or Kohl's. Unfortunately, I cannot recommend Kohl's for lasting through 4 boys as too many of the pants we get there have holes before he outgrows them

This has been my experience with both Kohl’s and JC Penney. The pants survive one boy ok, but the second one wears them out before outgrowing them.

...You do know that Oshkosh goes to higher sizes, right? So this year I bought the $5 door buster long sleeve tshirts from Oshkosh instead of Carters. It's all the same site online, just changing tabs. You can even check out with both together. So I'll stick with their shirts until they run out of sizes.

He's 9 this spring but he's already outgrowing size 12 shirts and pants. Oshkosh goes to 14, but at the rate he's growing in going to need another option soon. Edited by Noreen Claire

He's 9 this spring but he's already outgrowing size 12 shirts and pants. Oshkosh goes to 14, but at the rate he's growing in going to need another option soon.

Levi’s jeans are still high quality. After size 14 I’m not sure if you are getting into men’s sizes though. My boy is in a 12 so we aren’t quite there yet.
  • Like 1