Menu

Comfortable, long shorts for long-legged really skinny girl?

Dmmetler

DD13 is doing a camp this summer that specifically wants knee length, not form fitting shorts (or slacks) in khaki. navy or black(basically, the teens have to abide by the employee dress code) DD is a size 0 or 00 and can easily fit into a girl’s large, or even a medium, but it would be way, way too short. She dislikes anything stiff or scratchy, so I think the standard Lands End uniform shorts are out. I’ve found a few hits for women’s knit capris that would work, but they don’t have the correct sizes. This will be for a camp in Southern CA, so I’m guessing that light weight would also be good. She mostly lives in knit leggings, long tops, and boots, and blends in with most of the other girls on campus at the college where she takes classes. The program provides shirts.

I figure I’d better start looking now since Summer wear is probably in season!

How about girls or women's golf apparel?  My favorite shorts are black 4" inseam Nike or Under Armour golf shorts.  They are tailored but made out of nearly the same fabric as my running shorts, so they are super comfortable.  They come in a variety of lengths because golf courses have different dress codes, I suppose, so there should be something that will work.

• Like 4

Would REI have something to work? Their items are of cool, comfortable fabrics. Eddie Bauer or Orvis? 

My first thought was the lightweight BSA shorts, but they are green.

Children's Place has boys' cargo shorts in those colors. The fabric is soft cotton. They run long and fit my trim, very tall boy. 

• Like 1

Try looking under Bermuda shorts, and then whatever her inseam length is.  So, 12" inseam women's bermuda shorts.

We've been really happy with Columbia's longer shorts & capris.  The Anytime Ourdoor Long Short and Saturday Trail long short are particularly nice. The very lightweight material breathes well and offers good protection.  They are also wicked hard to destroy.

• Like 4

Sahalie has several styles of longish shorts in different fabrics.  They're known for softness.  I don't see anything smaller than a 4, but maybe?

http://sahalie.blair.com/t/women39s/crops-shorts/pc/1921/1925.uts

Another option is to get pants and cut them.  I've found that shorts and pants generally cost about the same (especially khakis and jeans and others that have a lot of piecing detailing).  

Good luck.  My daughter was just like yours (5'9'', wearing a 00).  I was so happy when her hips filled out!  She lived in capris and basketball style shorts throughout her teens.

• Like 1

One year I lost a bunch of weight right before going to the Caymans in December.   There was no shorts to be had at my normal stores.  A giant sports store had a ton of shorts.  They had some long bermuda style shorts.  I don't think I was ever a 00, but I would guess that a sporting goods store would have a good selection in the smaller sizes.  

• Like 1

My daughter had the same problem when she hit that size. Uniform pants cut and hemmed can work, but if the cut is a slim they can be tight on the thigh. Some of the girls pants fit more like leggings after we hemmed them and they were not comfortable! Most of the Bermuda shorts for women started at larger sizes so it was hard to find ones slim enough in the waist.

We found that boys uniform shorts or pants cut down worked better than girls or womens. Boys shorts are already longer and looser, and the waists are slightly bigger. So you may find she can wear a boys size 10 or 12 in shorts if she is a womens 0 or 00. A boys uniform pant may also be more comfortable when hemmed. We found ours at Old Navy.

Edited by CaliforniaDreaming
  • Like 1

Check out Uniqlo. They have longer shorts in those colors. We love their clothing, everything’s held up well.

If you live in so cal, we have a few of their stores here. The flagship is in LA, they carry the full line.

Edited by helena