Menu

Correcting spelling in non-school work (2nd)

Skippy

Do you correct a child's spelling mistakes when they are writing just for fun?

My daughter (2nd grade, age 7) loves to write stories and is constantly writing for fun. She is a pretty good speller for her age. She often asks me, "How do you spell..." when she is writing.

She loves for me to read the stories she has written. Occasionally, she makes spelling mistakes. Sometimes I correct her, and sometimes I do not. 

Is it good to always correct spelling mistakes, or will this take away from her fun when writing and sharing her stories with me?

Thanks!

I don't correct spelling outside of language arts "school time" I don't even regularly correct spelling in other subjects (I'm thinking of a written math answer from yesterday). My dc might quit writing for fun if they thought they weren't good, or just stop sharing. Not every child is like this, though. I always help with spelling when asked, or if I can work it in casually. You could consider "hiring" Alexa to do the "please tell me how to spell - " if you get tired if it. :-)

• Like 2

No. I'd help her if she asks how to spell a word, but otherwise I'd just comment on the story itself and encourage your young writer! Spelling will come with time--just work on that separately. (Think about babies and how they learn to speak gradually--writing and spelling is a gradual process learned over years, so don't worry about the mistakes right now.) I love that she wants to write!

• Like 3

I don't correct spelling at all outside of spelling lessons at this age.  That's free writing, narrations, none of that.  I had to separate the goals in my head: yes to learn proper spelling, but also to learn how to put thoughts down on paper in a coherent manner.  As we get through elementary I start introducing things like the concept of a rough draft and learning to look at it again with fresh eyes.  Free writing is still free writing, though.  I'm not touching that with 'school', but I may use it to decide what needs to be worked on during language arts.

• Like 1