Menu

What's with the ads?

mum

What college honors societies are worthwhile?

My daughter was invited to join the National society of Collegiate Scholars (for a fee). Is it worthwhile? If not,does anyone know of any college honors societies that are worthwhile?

Thanks!

Legit honor societies don't charge a fee BTW.

I believe my son had to pay a small fee for Phi Beta Kappa.

I believe my son had to pay a small fee for Phi Beta Kappa.

Congrats to your son! I didn’t come anywhere close to qualifying for PBK at my school so I am not sure about fees. But that is a legitimate honor society and not a money making scam.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

We got mail last week for National Society of High School Scholars and they charged $60. I immediately looked it up because it was suspicious. The envelope had the name of my son’s high school written across the front giving the impression it was from his school. They added a bumper sticker for parents to proudly place on their car. I actually saw someone driving around with one today. After some digging, it looked like it was not worth it. They send those out to everyone and they have no way of obtaining his transcripts or GPA. I figured ACT or a scholarship website he signed up for sold his name. So I turned it into a lesson of what to look out for. I said if you have to pay a fee to get in it’s not legit. Then I added, well unless you get into Phi Theta Kappa, cause when I researched these, everyone said that’s the only one they would pay for. The next week he got an invite to PTK. It’s a one-time $100 fee. I told him to look into what the participation requirements would be. I’m encouraging him to sign up. They have some scholarships for transfers that might work for him.

I belong to two honor societies, Alpha Chi (which is national and school wide) and Phi Alpha Theta (history honor society). Both charged one time fees, not yearly. 

Ds had to pay a fee for Tau Beta Pi. I believe he had to pay $80-$90 as a lifetime/initiation fee.

Phi Theta Kappa is for community college students. There is a one time fee to join, less than $60. My son joined for two reasons:  It looks nice on his resume, and the 4 year universities he planned to apply to give $1000 scholarships to Phi Theta Kappa members.

• Like 1

We got mail last week for National Society of High School Scholars and they charged $60. I immediately looked it up because it was suspicious. The envelope had the name of my son’s high school written across the front giving the impression it was from his school. They added a bumper sticker for parents to proudly place on their car. I actually saw someone driving around with one today. After some digging, it looked like it was not worth it. They send those out to everyone and they have no way of obtaining his transcripts or GPA. I figured ACT or a scholarship website he signed up for sold his name.

oh yeah this is an ego scam - they send it out to a lot folks

We got our "offer" when DS was in 9th or 10th grade.

When I joined Phi Betta Kappa, they asked for a small donation if you could but let me in without it. (It may have been covered by my university.). Twenty years later, I still get their newsletters but haven’t been asked to pay. I don’t have a paid career, so I can’t comment on whether or not it’s worth joining for professional reasons.