Menu

S/O What did she do with her knife?

unsinkable

I thought this thread was going to speculate why she had a knife at all. I was going to guess to cut a dessert. But then I got darker thoughts and just hope she wasn't a danger to anyone. I'm like hmm what kind of knife?

And I'm glad I got to the thread after we found out why OP had a wiper part. Made me laugh out loud.

Oh goodness I don’t know how my grandfather, dad, or husband would function without their pocket knife. It gets used for everything! Opening packages, toys, cutting loose threads, cutting food, cleaning under nails (hopefully it’s cleaned between), impromptu screw driver... I have one in my purse, I used it last week to open some candy my son got at the concession. Basically it’s like always having scissors but more convenient to carry.
  • Like 4

Lots of people carry utility knives with them.   My husband once mailed a knife back home when we were getting on a plane and he realized he had his in his pocket.  Fortunately there was a post office right there and he had time to stuff the thing in a jiffy bag and get it mailed.  

This is one of the best threads ever!  

My dh flies a lot for business and is always forgetting he has his pocketknife in his bag.  TSA will mail it home for you, for a hefty price.  We have paid for that knife tens times over in TSA "shipping and handling" fees.  Sigh.

• Like 4

Am I the only one who is now going to be peeking in the bushes before going into any guarded building?  

I hide my car keys in the bushes when I go trail skiing or running.  I don't normally even lock my car but in that case, my wallet and phone are in the car so I don't want to just leave it open but also don't want to carry my keys.  Once when I went to stash mine, I found another pair in the same place!  I guess I did not invent this idea, as clever as I may have thought I was.

• Like 4

When I had jury duty, I commented to someone next to me that the store across the street had a lot of business.  I think it was a pawn shop or something?  A steady stream of people were going in and out.  Anyway, the woman told me that the guy who runs the store makes most of his money from charging people $2/item/day to hold their stuff for them while they are in the courthouse.  Things like cell phones, knives, guns, etc.  If they don't return for it within a certain amount of time, he keeps it/sells it.

• Like 9

Yep, my dh always has a pocket knife, and has had to hide it various places that you don't expect to be searching for weapons. The first time we went to a concert at a newly opened venue....metal detectors/searches. :sigh: We were parked so very far back, and the line to get in was so very long, he went and hid it behind a planter or something. It was there when we got out, no worries. 

Of course, here, I'm surprised there weren't more people having to do the same thing. 

• Like 3

Believe me...my DD and I would have LOVED to have followed her. DD's nickname is Nancy Drew.

BUT...

DD's boots had already set off the metal detector and I was mortified by everything in my pockets (I had to completely empty them). I have 4 HUGE pockets in my winter coat. I can fit enough stuff in there as I could in a decent sized purse.

The guard asked about one thing, "what is this?"

Me: "Part of my windshield wiper."

Yeah...we didn't want to go thru search/the metal detector again.

I literally snorted, I am glad Dh has already left for work.

LOL

• Like 1

Dude, that's a JOB?? I know the mental image I have of your dh running around clicking switches like mad all day isn't correct, but I'm going to pretend that it is. 

It's better than that. They have machines that click them, get them super hot or super cold, expose to high altitude conditions, etc.   Most of the time they pass but when they fail it's often spectacular- they catch fire or explode. Then he gets to dump the remains on the design engineer's desk and tells him to try again. g

However...there are some switches that go on space suits and in the past I have done that testing for them as an outside contractor- per NASA instructions it has to be done manually. So 75 switches have to be switches 500 times each direction. Yeah, that got boring even for me...but oh those switches have a great clicking action. 

• Like 5

I have this mental picture of dozens of men in suits and women in court attire on their hands and knees outside our little town courthouse digging in the dirt to hide their pocket knives now... very much like at the end of Gladiator when his friend buries his family idols in the arena...

• Like 6

It's better than that. They have machines that click them, get them super hot or super cold, expose to high altitude conditions, etc.   Most of the time they pass but when they fail it's often spectacular- they catch fire or explode. Then he gets to dump the remains on the design engineer's desk and tells him to try again. g

However...there are some switches that go on space suits and in the past I have done that testing for them as an outside contractor- per NASA instructions it has to be done manually. So 75 switches have to be switches 500 times each direction. Yeah, that got boring even for me...but oh those switches have a great clicking action. 

I work at a testing lab, too, and one of the things we test is door hinges.  The first time I walked into one of the labs the lights were off and there were all these doors just opening and closing on timers.  It was super creepy since I wasn't expecting it.

I love watching the fire tests and the missile tests, though.  Something about burning things and exploding glass that just makes work more fun. :)

• Like 3

All I know is that if I ever need a new pocket knife, I'm going for a little stroll past a federal building. I just have to remember to bring a little trowel with me so I don't get dirt under my fingernails when I start digging under the bushes.

I'm not tall enough to feel around the tops of door frames and window frames inside the building, so I'll have to take the outdoorsy approach.

But hey, I'm no thief, so I'll wait until after they close for the day to make sure no one is coming back for whatever I find. :)

Of course, with my luck, I'd probably get arrested if I ever actually tried something like that!

• Like 8