Menu

Book recommendation on productivity?

Slache

As far as getting things done - Getting Things Done by David Allen. One of my favorite threads ever from this forum is about that book. I think it was Alte Vesta Academy with the epic usage recommendations.

ETA: I’ve tried and tried to search for it and even google is failing me, AND making sure I’m not a robot. Sorry. I wanted to link it.

As far as motivation goes, just watch this:

Edited by fraidycat
  • Like 2

Essentialism by Greg McKeown. It's about how to prioritize what matters most and how to let go of things that don't matter so you can give the things that matter most your full attention and effort.
Deep Work by Cal Newport. It's about eliminating distractions so you can be intensely productive and focused.
Getting Things Done by  David Allen. It's about how to organize and work efficiently.

• Like 2

I've really enjoyed, -- wrong word -- I've LOVED Brooke Castillo's podcasts. I've loved pretty close to all of them.

Side note. She has two podcasts so be careful to use the right one. On her site, you'd want the podcast on top.

Here's episode #1: Why You Aren't Taking Action: https://thelifecoachschool.com/1/.

Here's How to Set Goals (I listen while I walk the dog, clean, cook and so on): https://thelifecoachschool.com/3/.

She also has many on productivity, but since she has almost 200 podcasts, you'll need to scroll to find.

I'd listen to #1 through #10 first and then jump around to what interests you!

Alley

Edited by Alicia64
  • Like 1

As far as getting things done - Getting Things Done by David Allen. One of my favorite threads ever from this forum is about that book. I think it was Alte Vesta Academy with the epic usage recommendations.

ETA: I’ve tried and tried to search for it and even google is failing me, AND making sure I’m not a robot. Sorry. I wanted to link it.

As far as motivation goes, just watch this:

Thank you Fraidy!! I'm always looking for new, interesting people!!

Alley

• Like 1

The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People--the videos are better than the book, and I hardly ever say that.

Organizing From the Inside Out--and anything else by Julie Morgenstern

Oh yes, 7 Habits was a painful slog to get through and I love “self-help†books.

What videos? Are you talking about the summaries on youtube or something else?

Oh yes, 7 Habits was a painful slog to get through and I love “self-help†books.

What videos? Are you talking about the summaries on youtube or something else?

The 7 habits book is based on video presentations that were used widely in corporate life in the years before the book came out.

Covey would lecture and show slides of his diagrams, building them into the finished product pages in the book as he talked.  

It was a very well done series on productivity, time management, character, etc.  I took it back in the 90s and I think that we interspersed a video, some team interactive assignments, and some homework over a several day period.  At the end they gave us our first daytimer equivalent calendar books.  It was great.  But the book just is too dense to convey this as well as the lectures did.  

Although I didn't go the daytimer route, I can honestly say that the course is something I referred back to in other areas for the rest of my life, to this day.  Great stuff!

I don't actually know exactly where to get those old videos, but if they are floating around on ebay they would be worth a look.  I'm not familiar with the youtube summaries.  I have the book, and it's awfully good, but the old presentations are much better.

• Like 1