Menu

Large families; talk to me about 9+ passenger vehicles

SproutMamaK

Our family needs a bigger vehicle, 9 passengers minimum. A 10-12 passenger would leave us a bit more wiggle room, but 9 would work. I hate parking a minivan as it is, so I'm a bit leery of overly large vehicles. Does anyone have any recommendations for me? Things to avoid, things that you liked, specific vehicle recommendations, etc? We really have no preference as to vehicle brand, etc, we just want something that can fit us all and get us from Point A to Point B.

We have a 12 passenger van, but the last seat is out, so it only seats 8.  That gives us loads of cargo space, which is really handy.  Sometimes it would be nice to have that extra seat if we want to take along more of our kid's friends, but we make this work.  Since all of our kids are teens now, I like that it has plenty of leg room.  So many of the vehicles that we test drove, didn't have enough room to accommodate me (and I'm only 5'4"), much less my teen-aged boys!  Ours is all wheel drive and that's been nice with the snowy winter we're having.  It's also easy for people to get in and out since it has the double doors on the side.

We had a Suburban before and I liked that also, but it was harder for people to get to the very back seat, plus I don't think it had as much leg room.  

• Like 1

Take a look at the 10 passenger Ford Transit--it has a shorter wheel base than their larger extended vans. Also worth looking at one with a mid height roof--tall enough for me to stand upright in, makes it so much easier to get to the back seats.

This is our vehicle. We have the lowest height roof though, so I can park it in garages

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I have a 12 passenger Ford Econoline. The Nissan, etc. weren’t in our price range. I like the E350 a lot. I find it very easy and comfortable to drive. It has the highest level of traction control and stability available. I don’t drive it on ice; if it’s icy, I avoid going out. I love the cargo room. I currently have the first bench seat out, but even with that in, it holds a ton. It fits in parking garages with no problem. I can parallel it pretty easily, and it has a surprisingly small turning radius for such a large vehicle. It really doesn’t feel huge to me (but prior to that, I drove a minivan, a pickup truck, and an Expedition, so the van was only a small step up). I love how I can see so well out of it. I don’t have or find that I need a backup camera, although I tend to park in wide spots rather than tighter ones. I love that I can put two full harness car seats and a booster in it and still not have my older kids feel cramped.

Gas mileage is about 12, and I drive mostly highway miles. That’s the biggest drawback.

Okay, this is a big unusual, but I'd go for a mini bus. 

A few years back, we needed to be able to haul 3 wheelchairs, plus a car seat and driver. And of course gear. We purchased a used small private bus - not school bus, but more like the handicapped transit buses. Prior to that we'd had a stretch van. 

The bus had MUCH more room, seated everyone comfortably, was easier to install car seats, more space and access for loading things, AND got better mpg {It averaged around 24 highway, and 18 in town if I remember correctly}. A non-handicapped one would likely get even better mpg since there wouldn't be the weight of the lift and such. 

Best part was - it was a FRACTION of the cost. I think complete, it was about $9000. 

We just parked in the back of lots and took up two spaces lengthwise. Never had a problem. And it didn't require a commercial licence either {unless you take paying passengers}

How did you insure it? We have thought about this before but in the cases I’ve seen insurance was a huge hurdle, depending on the state.

Actually, it insured as an RV. Because it was driven less than 25 miles daily, insurance was PENNIES. Geico was the only company that knew how to handle it though - State Farm looked at us like we were from Mars. 

I think a year's worth was about $175. Granted that was an older driver and no accidents. 

ETA: I'd get the make / model / vin and check prior to purchase. I remember it depended entirely on what the chassis of the ORIGINAL frame was. Ours was an Oversize 12 passenger Van, and could have also been insured as such I think {at a higher cost}. 

Edited by frugalmamatx

We been happy with our Chevy 12-passenger vans.  Both of them have been extended versions so we have plenty of luggage room in the back.  It gets a bit cramped with teen boys but so far the youngest have been happy to crawl in the back and let their longer brothers have the seats that are more comfortable.  We don't really need the bigger size any more (only 5 left at home most of the time) but it's nice to have the extra seating when we need it which is often so we're not ready to downsize yet.

I've had no problem with ours in snow or ice.  In fact, I prefer it to our smaller vehicles because I feel safer in the heavier vehicle.

Good mirrors are the secret to being comfortable in parking and backing (for me).  Our first big van didn't have split mirrors and I was never confident in backing it up so always made sure to be somewhere that I could pull through.  Our current van has split mirrors that enable me to see the sides as well as behind and I've no problem now with backing or parking pretty much anywhere.  I don't mind the tighter spots now though I still try to avoid them if possible.

I do avoid parking garages with our van after a terrible experience with our first one.  Short version is that you can't always believe those signs that tell you how high the clearance is - especially when they have repaved it on the inside for years and forgotten to update the clearance information.  I'll never forget that scraping noise!

We have a 12 passenger van, but the last seat is out, so it only seats 8. That gives us loads of cargo space, which is really handy. Sometimes it would be nice to have that extra seat if we want to take along more of our kid's friends, but we make this work. Since all of our kids are teens now, I like that it has plenty of leg room. So many of the vehicles that we test drove, didn't have enough room to accommodate me (and I'm only 5'4"), much less my teen-aged boys! Ours is all wheel drive and that's been nice with the snowy winter we're having. It's also easy for people to get in and out since it has the double doors on the side.

We had a Suburban before and I liked that also, but it was harder for people to get to the very back seat, plus I don't think it had as much leg room.

^^What she said. We have a 15 passenger Chevy express with the back seat out. Made it very handy for friends, camping, shopping (we live rurally so only once a month would we go "into town" for shopping), and anything else we needed. It has been an amazing vehicle, and we only had 4 children if our own though we always seem to collect extras. Now that everyone is older it's time to downgrade to a smaller car- but that van served its purpose faithfully.

Stopping power with icy roads was big for me. Usefulness of the cargo space and seating configuration. Head rests/whiplash restraints. For us it came down between an Econoline and an NV, but the NV stopped in half the distance on icy roads (much better computer aided traction control in general), had more flexible seating, and the cargo space was much bigger for the vehicle size because it was so square.

So we ended up with an NV. And I’ve not regretted it for a second. Best vehicle purchase for us by far, and with the backup cam parking is a breeze in all but a few parking garages where it is too tall.

Do you know what height the parking garage has to be to fit it? 

We been happy with our Chevy 12-passenger vans.  Both of them have been extended versions so we have plenty of luggage room in the back.  It gets a bit cramped with teen boys but so far the youngest have been happy to crawl in the back and let their longer brothers have the seats that are more comfortable.  We don't really need the bigger size any more (only 5 left at home most of the time) but it's nice to have the extra seating when we need it which is often so we're not ready to downsize yet.

I've had no problem with ours in snow or ice.  In fact, I prefer it to our smaller vehicles because I feel safer in the heavier vehicle.

Good mirrors are the secret to being comfortable in parking and backing (for me).  Our first big van didn't have split mirrors and I was never confident in backing it up so always made sure to be somewhere that I could pull through.  Our current van has split mirrors that enable me to see the sides as well as behind and I've no problem now with backing or parking pretty much anywhere.  I don't mind the tighter spots now though I still try to avoid them if possible.

I do avoid parking garages with our van after a terrible experience with our first one.  Short version is that you can't always believe those signs that tell you how high the clearance is - especially when they have repaved it on the inside for years and forgotten to update the clearance information.  I'll never forget that scraping noise!

Oh my gosh.

We have a 12 passenger van, but the last seat is out, so it only seats 8.  That gives us loads of cargo space, which is really handy.  Sometimes it would be nice to have that extra seat if we want to take along more of our kid's friends, but we make this work.  Since all of our kids are teens now, I like that it has plenty of leg room.  So many of the vehicles that we test drove, didn't have enough room to accommodate me (and I'm only 5'4"), much less my teen-aged boys!  Ours is all wheel drive and that's been nice with the snowy winter we're having.  It's also easy for people to get in and out since it has the double doors on the side.

This is what we had back when the kids were living at home.  I loved my 12 passenger Ford passenger van.   Lots of room.  

Our 12 passenger does fit in parking garages, although I try to avoid them and when I have to drive into one, I'm always scrunching myself down!! As if me being shorter is going to help my van be shorter! :)

I used to do the same thing!

Now that I have a vehicle with a higher roof we just don't do parking garages.