Menu

Forgot to add onions when cooking beef stew...

marbel

I just took a lovely beef stew out of the instant pot. The meat is perfect!  I haven't tasted the potatoes or carrots. But I realized that I forgot the onions.

This stew isn't going to be eaten for 3 hours.  I separated the meat and vegetables from the broth and plan to defat the broth, then thicken it with some cornstarch.

Would it work to add some onions to some of the broth and braise them till tender, then add them to the stew when I reheat it?  I know it won't be as good as if they'd cooked with the other ingredients, but maybe will taste better than onions just sauteed?

FWIW, the recipe called for frozen pearl onions but I could not find those today, so I had planned to put in wedges of raw onion.

Any thoughts?

Oh, here is the recipe if anyone is interested:  Budget Bytes instant Pot Beef Stew

ETA: I have to run one of my kids to work in a few minutes, so may not respond right away.  Thanks!

Edited by marbel

Thanks.  I will saute and then add to the rest of the stew afterward.  I don't keep  dried onion or onion powder around, so those options are out.  I may get some for future onion emergencies!

You know, I have been cooking for many years but sometimes I still run into something that stumps me!