Menu

Associates degree, do you give a gift if your children got one?

Prairie~Phlox

For my own child, yes. It is a milestone, and I would recognize it - gift, card, etc. 

For a child who was a relative, yes, again a milestone, and yes a gift and card. 

For a child of a friend - depends upon how close - maybe just a congratulations, maybe a small gift. 

I find the discussion of the nuances of associates degree interesting, but I certainly would not disect someone’s associate degree before I decided whether or not to buy the degree recipient a gift.

I think that when someone I love accomplishes something that is important to them, it is worthy of my notice.

Not always with a gift, but that is just me. Like I said above, I’m more inclined toward a celebration dinner or something like that.

• Like 10

I find the discussion of the nuances of associates degree interesting, but I certainly would not disect someone’s associate degree before I decided whether or not to buy the degree recipient a gift.

Agree. I totally did not mean for my discussion on the differences in degrees to side track the gift-giving question and response for the OP. I was only throwing the info in as a spin-off / completely separate topic for those who were interested in the differences. ;) Sorry I didn't make that clear. :)

• Like 3

I did not mean to ruffle your or Mergath's feathers. But, I was in California's community college system when it was at its zenith. There is a lot of fluff in the AA degree--p.e., fine art, etc., and a simple "C' average,. Any student who was planning on transferring did not strive for the a.a,, but rather aimed for 60 U.C. transferable credits. 60 U.C. transferable credits and at least a B+ average was a competitive applicant. anywhere.

As to nursing, an AA is stepping stone to a BSN. I don't know any mechanics with an AA in auto repair. Thy all have manufacturer's certifications.

Just my point of view.

An RN is an RN with an ASN. Bachelor's is not needed, although many places prefer to hire BSNs. (I'm an RN).
  • Like 3

Maybe this also comes down to how good of a "celebrater" you are. I am apparently very negligent in this area. I remember wanting to laugh upon hearing that a parent bought gifts for a child upon completing first grade. I need to celebrate more which is weird because I point out and "celebrate" my clients' progress all the time - no matter how small. Hmmm....

I did not give my nephew a gift for an A.A. I did give my nieces (his sisters) gifts for their B.A.s.  In my immediate family we have B.A.s and professional degrees.  Even though I had to go to a cc to rehabilitate myself after a dismal H.S, ( enabling me  to  earn two highly selective degrees, ) I don't consider an A.A,  a real degree.  Just a stepping stone.

When I was a brand-new bachelor's degree holder and working as an office manager making only $1 more than the then-minimum wage, I met a fellow Army wife who was an ultrasound technician. Her training had taken her a mere 18 months (vs. 3 1/3 years for my bachelor's) at CC and she was making 5x the minimum wage. I remember thinking that from a pure ROI perspective at that point in time, she had made a smarter decision.

• Like 5

Associates in nursing is not a stepping stone to BSN. BSN and ADN both graduate with the skills needed to sit for the Nclex. Both are hired and both start as baby nurses. And in my area, the ADN is considered the student better prepared for bedside nursing as the tech school concentrates on skills and not management. It actually takes longer to precept/orient a direct entry BSN than direct entry ADN because of the lack of hands on skills. When I went back for my BSN, I learned not one thing to supplement my nursing career. It was fluff -histories, science, math...thanks to my two associate degrees, I had many of the general ed requirements and finished it in under a year part time.

any accomplishment counts for some type of celebration around here. A gift, dinner, party......something to show good job let's be happy for ya.

• Like 5

Maybe this also comes down to how good of a "celebrater" you are. I am apparently very negligent in this area. I remember wanting to laugh upon hearing that a parent bought gifts for a child upon completing first grade. I need to celebrate more which is weird because I point out and "celebrate" my clients' progress all the time - no matter how small. Hmmm....

I absolutely think that personal style is at play here! I can vividly recall the parties and dinners that I have organized to celebrate graduations, but I can’t even remember if I gave my son a gift when he finished his BA - and that was just six months ago. Other people have gifts as a love language. My DH is like that - he gets a kick out of carefully selecting gifts.

I have another kid who will probably stop school after his AAS. I think he would rightfully be disappointed if I didn’t put together a celebration for him, because that is what is normal to expect from ME. It would seem like a snub of the AAS.

Edited by Penguin
  • Like 2

It depends on how my child views it.  If it's a big accomplishment for them or maybe the goal of their education, then definitely!  If they are looking at it as simply the first two years of a four-year degree, we'd still at least have dinner out!  My kids have never liked making a big deal of things, so I'd let them steer it to an extent.

• Like 3

When I was a brand-new bachelor's degree holder and working as an office manager making only $1 more than the then-minimum wage, I met a fellow Army wife who was an ultrasound technician. Her training had taken her a mere 18 months (vs. 3 1/3 years for my bachelor's) at CC and she was making 5x the minimum wage. I remember thinking that from a pure ROI perspective at that point in time, she had made a smarter decision.

You're telling me! 

If I'd just gone for surg tech or nursing or one of them, I'd be much better off now!

• Like 2

Dd will be done this month with associates in applied science for accounting. I should probably think about a gift right? Suggestions if so?

I'd do something to mark the occasion, without a doubt. It might not be a "gift" that is tangible, but something meaningful to her.

Like: Special meal and dessert, or theatre tickets, or going out for happy hour, or mani/pedi day...

I'd get her a treat she absolutely loves and write a nice card telling her what an awesome accomplishment earning her degree is.

Congrats to her! And you, mom!

• Like 2

Dd will be done this month with associates in applied science for accounting. I should probably think about a gift right? Suggestions if so?

I got an associates degree -- no transferring to a bigger degree or anything, and got no gift.

I don't think associates degrees are usually gift giving occasions

There are many two year degrees that lead to fulfilling and well-paying jobs. The reason this kind of stuff ruffles my feathers is that we have so many people drowning in student loan debt because society keeps pushing the message that only a BA or BS matters, when so many people would be better off getting a two year degree from a tech school. Not because they couldn't handle a university or anything like that, but because we have a shortage of people with hands-on tech skills. There arent enough machinists and welders and so on.

And I have six years of university education under my belt, so I'm not saying this out of insecurity. ;)

COMPLETELY agree. SPecifically. Not enough sheetmetal workers, welders, plumbers willing to go to work every day and work.

We have had one graduate from college- BA. We didn't get her anything but we did pay for her, her husband and the rest of our family to fly to Arizona for the ceremony and a vacation too.  We also got her some tshirt and other momento from her school,  But not a separate gift.  She didn't expect anything and thought it was super great that we gave her the graduation trip and the vacation. But my kids like gettting experiences (like a vacation or a concert or some such thing) as much if not more than getting stuff.