Menu

Standby Flights?

Liz CA

I feel silly even asking this...but my ds has neglected to book a ticket in time to get a flight on the 22nd  :svengo: . BUT has a friend at the airline who can get him on standby. I am thinking he is likely to spend Christmas at the airport but I have zero experience with standby.

Any advice? 

You can laugh at your screen. It's okay. I am waiting for neuroscience to prove itself in that they determined that by age 25/26 even the male brain is finally maturing....

• Like 1

Frequent fliers with status go to the top of the standby list. I think it’s a long shot unless he has status. Flying on the 25th is probably his best bet.

ETA: if he can fly early am on Friday, he might have a chance. Fewer families take 6:00 am flights and business travelers won’t fly until later in the day,

Edited by TechWife
  • Like 2

I feel silly even asking this...but my ds has neglected to book a ticket in time to get a flight on the 22nd  :svengo: . BUT has a friend at the airline who can get him on standby. I am thinking he is likely to spend Christmas at the airport but I have zero experience with standby.

Any advice? 

You can laugh at your screen. It's okay. I am waiting for neuroscience to prove itself in that they determined that by age 25/26 even the male brain is finally maturing....

If flying stand-by (also known as "space available" or "SA") shoot for the "red eye" flights, the very first ones or very last ones of the day (go for first).  Get to the airport a couple of hours earlier than you normally would.  Dress NICE, but comfortably -- if you are wearing tattered jeans or a ratty old shirt you are more likely to not get on the flight.  Pack sparsely, in carry-on baggage only, and be prepared to have your luggage under the seat since the overhead bins will be full by the time you board.  Get water and a snack once you are through security.  If it's getting close to time for boarding to start don't go ANYWHERE, as you could be called at any time.  If you can sit near the desk at the gate, but stay out of the traffic zone.  Be very patient, forgiving, apologetic, cooperative, and courteous to everyone you meet.  Say "please" and "thank you" with a smile.  Don't leave your luggage for an instant.  

If you get flagged for gate-side security checks (which are more frequent for tickets bought on short order) be cooperative and calm, but do insist that they allow you to see your luggage for the entire process so you can say with confidence at all times that your luggage has never left your sight.

Be prepared to sleep in the airport.  When one flight doesn't pan out find out which gate for the next flight and get there as quickly as possible.  If you must wait a lengthy time before boarding a flight periodically check the departures monitors to make sure your flight's gate assignment hasn't changed.

When flying SA there is a degree of first-come-first-served, but it can be trumped -- don't chastise the gate agent for this.  Employees being flown to someplace where they are needed trump other SA customers.  People flying on employee passes (like the buddy pass your son's friend is likely supplying him) must honor seniority -- more senior employees (those with more years with the airline) get preference over younger employees.  

If your son is indeed flying on a pass make sure he reimburses his friend for it.  Employee passes aren't free, they cost at least tax and a service charge, and these are often deducted from the employee's paycheck.  Often one can find a purchased ticket on a red-eye flight for cheaper than a pass costs the employee.  It would be good for your son to try to buy a one-way return ticket for his return flight, if possible, to draw less on his friend's generosity and paycheck.

It is especially important for anyone flying on an employee pass to DRESS NICE and BE PLEASANT.  Find out the dress code for employees on passes and dress on the nicer side.  If dressed nicely enough, and if such a seat is available, it might land you a chance at a first class seat on the plane.

ETA:  Be prepared for weather anywhere to affect seat availability where you are.  Stay calm and pleasant through all confusion and disappointments.  Airline and airport employees cannot control the weather, so don't punish them for it.  

Edited by AMJ
  • Like 5

When flying SA there is a degree of first-come-first-served, but it can be trumped -- don't chastise the gate agent for this.  Employees being flown to someplace where they are needed trump other SA customers.  People flying on employee passes (like the buddy pass your son's friend is likely supplying him) must honor seniority -- more senior employees (those with more years with the airline) get preference over younger employees.  

Paying passengers (revenue passengers) trump employees who are flying for personal reasons (non-revenue). The higher the frequent flier status, the higher the place in line. Passengers with equal status are prioritized by check in time. Paying passengers with no status are in line behind all of the frequent fliers, but before employees. It's quite possible that paying passengers on standby will outnumber employees. Involuntary standby passengers (paying passengers who have been rerouted by the airline, not by their choice), have priority over all other standby passengers. Sometimes standby passengers are skipped in line because the number of people in their party outnumbers the number of available seats and they are unwilling to split up. Honestly, the more I think about it, the more I would hesitate to fly on standby during the holidays - and my husband has status, so we would be high in line. 

• Like 2

Paying passengers (revenue passengers) trump employees who are flying for personal reasons (non-revenue). The higher the frequent flier status, the higher the place in line. Passengers with equal status are prioritized by check in time. Paying passengers with no status are in line behind all of the frequent fliers, but before employees. It's quite possible that paying passengers on standby will outnumber employees. Involuntary standby passengers (paying passengers who have been rerouted by the airline, not by their choice), have priority over all other standby passengers. Sometimes standby passengers are skipped in line because the number of people in their party outnumbers the number of available seats and they are unwilling to split up. Honestly, the more I think about it, the more I would hesitate to fly on standby during the holidays - and my husband has status, so we would be high in line. 

Honest to goodness, you just explained this more clearly and completely than most gate agents! 

Totally tongue in cheek, but a certain airline would LOVE to have you on their payroll and a certain boardie would LOVE to have your priority status!    :tongue_smilie:

Enjoy the holidays!

• Like 4

It is especially important for anyone flying on an employee pass to DRESS NICE and BE PLEASANT. 

Yes to this.  Do check the dress code.  It can be very specific.  We have flown on the buddy passes and have always dressed nicely but did not read the fine print one time and dh was rejected because he was not wearing a shirt with a collar.  He was wearing a nice sweater with a polo type shirt under and the polo collar was not considered the correct kind of "collar."  We had to buy a dress shirt at one of the airport stores before attempting to board a later flight.  This was the second leg of our trip so we apparently ran into a picky gate agent because he was allowed to board the first leg.

I would say the plan is risky but not impossible if he is attempting to get on a flight with many daily options.  People's plans change, connecting flights are cancelled/delayed, etc.....  If he is flexible and that is his only option, I say go for it!

• Like 1

I have flown buddy passes and dress code is important. One time I was flying with my daughter and we were turned down from first classseats because she was wearing jeans. We were given seats in the “back of the busâ€and were thankful for that. But first class would have been nice. ðŸ˜

I have friends who work for delta. Apparently employees are not allowed to fly standby over holidays. They always drive when they come back here for Christmas.

• Like 2

Did I miss this part of adulting? What is this dress code you speak of? I’ve flown quite a bit, including some first class, and recall nothing of the sort. I’ve never been denied a first class ticket for wearing jeans.

I hate standby unless it is just me and I’m not in a hurry, so I wouldn’t do it. But the dress code thing is news!

It is specific for buddy passes.  

• Like 1

Did I miss this part of adulting? What is this dress code you speak of? I’ve flown quite a bit, including some first class, and recall nothing of the sort. I’ve never been denied a first class ticket for wearing jeans.

I hate standby unless it is just me and I’m not in a hurry, so I wouldn’t do it. But the dress code thing is news!

Yes, it’s for non rev (buddy passes). I should have made that more clear.

• Like 1

Huh. And here I have been a schmuck and just paying thousands for airfare, when what I really needed with to get cozy with an employee/. Note to self.... :lol:

If you want to make sure you get where you want to be, buy the ticket! Buddy passes are hard to use. People who fly on them are the lowest priority on standby, and all buddy passes are standby.

Edited by TechWife
  • Like 1

If you want to make sure you get where you want to be, buy the ticket! Buddy passes are hard to use. People who fly on them are the lowest priority on standby, and all buddy passes are standby.

And you can't check luggage.  And you have to wear uncomfortable clothing.  And they STILL cost something, sometimes a lot.  We stopped using them.  Our relative that works for the airlines cannot give his away anymore....no one will take them.  In the olden days when flights were not consistently overbooked and they were truly free, they were a great thing.  

• Like 3

Not laughing here...  When I was very young, I was an airline employee and after that I was a Travel Agent for one year. Your son would be traveling alone? Your son would be traveling on a space available basis?

If he is alone (not traveling with other people who are also Non Revenue Passengers) there is a  good chance he might get on.  If there are multiple departures from the origin airport to the destination airport, he should get to the airport early, get time stamped in, and be at the Departure Gate, ready to board at the last minute, if there is an empty seat.  If there are multiple departures, hopefully, if he can't get on the first flight, he can get on the 2nd or 3rd flight of the day.

The larger the capacity of the aircraft, the better possibility of 1 or more empty seats, due to people misconnecting or getting to the airport late, etc.

If there is a family together, this would be much more difficult, but for one passenger, alone, there's a good shot.

He should continue to look for a flight where he can have a confirmed reservation.

• Like 1

I think when you pay you can wear what you want. :)

He is now also considering driving the 9 hours. I am doing my best to figuratively lean back and let this play out so he can learn his lesson...but watching this just makes me want to grind my teeth, or something. ;)

• Like 1

Not laughing here...  When I was very young, I was an airline employee and after that I was a Travel Agent for one year. Your son would be traveling alone? Your son would be traveling on a space available basis?

If he is alone (not traveling with other people who are also Non Revenue Passengers) there is a  good chance he might get on.  If there are multiple departures from the origin airport to the destination airport, he should get to the airport early, get time stamped in, and be at the Departure Gate, ready to board at the last minute, if there is an empty seat.  If there are multiple departures, hopefully, if he can't get on the first flight, he can get on the 2nd or 3rd flight of the day.

The larger the capacity of the aircraft, the better possibility of 1 or more empty seats, due to people misconnecting or getting to the airport late, etc.

If there is a family together, this would be much more difficult, but for one passenger, alone, there's a good shot.

He should continue to look for a flight where he can have a confirmed reservation.

He would be traveling alone with minimal luggage - one carry on duffel or something like it. 

He would be leaving from a less busy airport (I think) but arrive in CA at a fairly busy airport so the return flight may be an issue and someone will likely end up paying for a one way ticket. But I could be wrong about this since I am way too cautious to ever entertain such an idea myself and always PLAN AHEAD. Sorry for yelling - not at any of you but more directed at him. :lol:

I had never heard of such buddy passes either. So are they free? Nearly free as in low cost? Or what do they cost since someone here mentioned they are quite expensive. There seems to be absolutely no point in jumping through all those hoops when you still have to pay a lot.

Edited by Liz CA
  • Like 1

I think when you pay you can wear what you want. :)

He is now also considering driving the 9 hours. I am doing my best to figuratively lean back and let this play out so he can learn his lesson...but watching this just makes me want to grind my teeth, or something. ;)

If he has reliable wheels, might be the best to travel.  Start driving at 6am, be there at 3pm.  He could easily spend longer in the airport. 9 hours driving seems long on paper, but is not a physical hardship.  

• Like 5

If he has reliable wheels, might be the best to travel.  Start driving at 6am, be there at 3pm.  He could easily spend longer in the airport. 9 hours driving seems long on paper, but is not a physical hardship.  

In my single pre-kid days, I had a job where I traveled extensively.   Fridays were the absolute WORST for travel, and I almost always had to connect through Atlanta to fly home to the city where I lived at the time.   I missed more flights than I care to think about, and if I ended up on standby for one of the remaining flights, it was easier, most of the time FASTER, and less of a headache for me to just rent a car in Atlanta and drive home (which at the time was a 6-hour drive).

I would probably recommend that your DS just drive the 9 hours, as long as he has reliable transportation.  He might end up sitting at the airport for more than 9 hours, so at least he'd be making progress.    That 9-hour drive might really motivate him to plan better next time. 

• Like 2

You are right. He is young. We may suggest renting an all wheel drive because he will have to navigate over some mountain passes.

Oh the drive could be fun! But I like driving long distances, especially with an audiobook. Planning ahead is definitely a life skill ;)

The audiobook part I would enjoy as well but my back is too old for continuous driving beyond 2-3 hours at a time.

But as I said, he is young...:)

• Like 1

In my single pre-kid days, I had a job where I traveled extensively.   Fridays were the absolute WORST for travel, and I almost always had to connect through Atlanta to fly home to the city where I lived at the time.   I missed more flights than I care to think about, and if I ended up on standby for one of the remaining flights, it was easier, most of the time FASTER, and less of a headache for me to just rent a car in Atlanta and drive home (which at the time was a 6-hour drive).

I would probably recommend that your DS just drive the 9 hours, as long as he has reliable transportation.  He might end up sitting at the airport for more than 9 hours, so at least he'd be making progress.    That 9-hour drive might really motivate him to plan better next time. 

This is exactly what I am thinking. :) :)

He made the trip before with a buddy and they were on motorcycles. Dh and I worried a bit about them doing such a long trip on a motorcycle but it all worked out. 

This whole thing illustrates once again that someone who is an extensive planner can birth people who are not. :lol:

Should we never have anything worse to worry about....

• Like 2

If he can drive that in 9 hours, I would probably go for that, assuming as someone else wrote, that he has a very reliable vehicle.

As far as the costs of being on a Non-Rev ticket... Back in the day, 90 years ago, when I was an airline employee, it was very restricted. I was very young and Single at that time.  The first airline I worked for, I remember my Mother could travel as a Non-Rev, but only on that airline.

the 2nd airline I worked for, was more helpful to their employees.  My mother went from California to Europe on one airline and then from there to Israel on another airline, with steeply discounted tickets.

Now, apparently just about anyone can go as a Non Rev, if they are in the (even extended) family of the employee, or, apparently a friend.

What the service charges are, I have no idea. It probably depends on the route (distance) and also whether it is First Class or Coach.

Again, he is very close to your home and as others have written, could easily spend more than 9 hours in the origin airport trying to get onto 1 or more flights and not get on.

• Like 1

This whole thing illustrates once again that someone who is an extensive planner can birth people who are not.  :lol:

Should we never have anything worse to worry about....

I totally feel your pain.   I am a HUGE planner, and I birthed one of the most spontaneous, fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants offspring imaginable.   I think God gave me one particular child just to stretch me.....or he has a wicked sense of humor.

I can totally see this particular child doing the same thing as your DS a few years down the road.

• Like 2

it varies.  I tried to fly standby with a friend last summer.  there were six empty seats the night before our flight.  they were bumping paying passengers when we got to the airport at 6am.  we didn't go.

I would look on the actual airline sites - NOT a reseller e.g. booking dot com, expedia, etc. resellers only have so many seats to sell before they're sold out.   (I've dealt with that with hotel rooms).  you also often don't pay the "premium" to use a reseller.  the airline's calendar should also come up to be able to see what/when is available.

what I found interesting - it was a lot cheaper for my son's to fly in the middle of the day on christmas on alaska - than sw for the same time slot.  so, don't go into this with preconcieved notions about "that airline is expenseive".  they might be, they might be cheaper - they might also have seats.

• Like 1

Frequent fliers with status go to the top of the standby list. I think it’s a long shot unless he has status. Flying on the 25th is probably his best bet.

ETA: if he can fly early am on Friday, he might have a chance. Fewer families take 6:00 am flights and business travelers won’t fly until later in the day,

I've encountered a lot of business passengers for 6am flights.

And you can't check luggage.  And you have to wear uncomfortable clothing.  And they STILL cost something, sometimes a lot.  We stopped using them.  Our relative that works for the airlines cannot give his away anymore....no one will take them.  In the olden days when flights were not consistently overbooked and they were truly free, they were a great thing.  

I was supposed to fly on a buddy pass last summer-  we had checked bags.  they ended up bumping *paying* passengers - so we didn't go.  we had to go to the airport the next day to get our bags.

• Like 1

In my single pre-kid days, I had a job where I traveled extensively. Fridays were the absolute WORST for travel, and I almost always had to connect through Atlanta to fly home to the city where I lived at the time. I missed more flights than I care to think about, and if I ended up on standby for one of the remaining flights, it was easier, most of the time FASTER, and less of a headache for me to just rent a car in Atlanta and drive home (which at the time was a 6-hour drive).

I would probably recommend that your DS just drive the 9 hours, as long as he has reliable transportation. He might end up sitting at the airport for more than 9 hours, so at least he'd be making progress. That 9-hour drive might really motivate him to plan better next time.

Oh, dh had to do that more than once out of Atlanta. We lived in Orlando at the time. He LOATHES that airport.

• Like 1

You are right. He is young. We may suggest renting an all wheel drive because he will have to navigate over some mountain passes.

The audiobook part I would enjoy as well but my back is too old for continuous driving beyond 2-3 hours at a time.

But as I said, he is young... :)

If he is inclined to drive, should start to check rental rates and reserve  now.  Will probably be way much cheaper to pick up the car the Sunday (12/17), Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday, before than it will be to pick-up on the Thursday or Friday, Sat or Sunday before X-mas.  The first day of the rental sets the price for the whole rental.  play around with the pick-up dates and figure out the best pricing.  The longer rental might turn out way cheaper.

• Like 3