Menu

Elevated lead levels

Elizabeth86

The pediatrician said dd's lead levels were slightly elevated. Omg freak out. She said not to worry they would recheck in 6 months sometimes the tests are wrong.

Never had this problem with my boys. The only 3 houses she is ever in consistently have been gutted and remodeled in the 2000's. No old houses or paint. She said if someone is a mechanic they can bring lead in the house. Dh works on our cars, but not as a career. My dad has a hobby car and dd likes his garage, but she said this isn't a problem? She said some toys, omg the list is so extensive. Is there a list with pictures to make it easy to find recalles toys? She isn't much on putting things in her mouth. I found out a lot of Thomas trains are recalled. Arg, why does it feel so scary being a mom??

Red paint on toys is the main culprit for lead. I’ll remove red or orange colored old toys first just in case. Parks is another possibility for lead exposure if she goes to parks often.

Thomas trains recall list https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2007/rc2-corp-recalls-various-thomas-friends-wooden-railway-toys-due-to-lead-poisoning

From CDC https://www.cdc.gov/nceh/lead/tips/toys.htm

“Lead may be used in two aspects of toy manufacturing.

Paint: Lead may be found in the paint on toys. Lead was banned in house paint, on products marketed to children, and in dishes or cookware in the United States in 1978. But it is still widely used in other countries and therefore can still be found on imported toys. It may also be found on older toys made in the United States before the ban.

Plastic: The use of lead in plastics has not been banned. Lead softens the plastic and makes it more flexible so that it can go back to its original shape. It may also be used in plastic toys to stabilize molecules from heat. When the plastic is exposed to substances such as sunlight, air, and detergents the chemical bond between the lead and plastics breaks down and forms dust.â€

• Like 1

Look up Lead Safe Mama Tamara Rubin. Her children were lead poisoned and she is an expert in everything about lead. She has so much information and is my go to person. I’m so sorry this happened. Also, did the doctor do a actual blood test with a vial or did they do a heal prick/ thumb prick type test. If it was just a thumb prick type test, you should request an better blood test and I would request retesting in 3 months rather than 6. 6 months is a long time to wait if you don’t know what the source is and she is potentially being further exposed.

ETA. I would also test the soil around your house, or where she might play and your water

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by ealp2009
  • Like 2

Look up Lead Safe Mama Tamara Rubin. Her children were lead poisoned and she is an expert in everything about lead. She has so much information and is my go to person. I’m so sorry this happened. Also, did the doctor do a actual blood test with a vial or did they do a heal prick/ thumb prick type test. If it was just a thumb prick type test, you should request an better blood test and I would request retesting in 3 months rather than 6. 6 months is a long time to wait if you don’t know what the source is and she is potentially being further exposed.

Just a finger prick. Thanks for the advice. We are considering switching pediatricians, so I will be sure to ask sooner.

some heavy metals will metabolize out of the system - if they are in small enough quantities.   I think lead dust can be inhaled, and absorbed through the skin?

dudeling had a really high mercury level = swallowing mercury thermometer (his practitioner was freaking out about it.). we did daily glutathione injections to help with the metabolizing.   glutathione occurs naturally as an antioxidant in the body.

so, just keep an eye.  she she give you a list of symptoms of lead overload?  do you know what to watch for?  is she displaying any of those symptoms?

• Like 1

Take her to a naturopath or integrative MD for advice on how to safely chelate the lead out of her body. I definitely would not wait 6 months while her brain is in peak development.

chelation is an extreme measure that can be dangerous - as it can get rid of all metals from the body.  including the ones we need to be healthy, it should only ever be done under competent medical supervison.

there are things that can work before going that far.  (we did three months of glutathione injections with dudeling to eliminate the mercury from his body

I agree with a ND or an integrative/functional med dr.

• Like 1

ETA. I would also test the soil around your house, or where she might play and your water

how old is your house? - and if it is your house/lead pipes, chances are everyone in your family has an elevated lead level.

how old is any house/building she spends regular time?

where does she play?  any parks over a fill site?

Edited by gardenmom5

how old is your house? - and if it is your house/lead pipes, chances are everyone in your family has an elevated lead level.

how old is any house/building she spends regular time?

where does she play? any parks over a fill site?

Our house is older, but literally all the pipes and wires and every detail was replaced in 2006 as are the only 2 places we ever go.

As far as parks, they are not over fill sites?

Edited by Elizabeth86

some heavy metals will metabolize out of the system - if they are in small enough quantities. I think lead dust can be inhaled, and absorbed through the skin?

dudeling had a really high mercury level = swallowing mercury thermometer (his practitioner was freaking out about it.). we did daily glutathione injections to help with the metabolizing. glutathione occurs naturally as an antioxidant in the body.

so, just keep an eye. she she give you a list of symptoms of lead overload? do you know what to watch for? is she displaying any of those symptoms?

No I di not really know.

Another idea is to call the closest children's hospital and see if you can get in touch with an expert on lead poisoning, or if they could point you in the right direction.  Waiting six months for a re-test seems like odd advice to me.  I hope you can find someone good to work with!

Here's some info for you: http://www.who.int/selection_medicines/committees/expert/18/applications/4_2_LeadOralChelators.pdf

• Like 1

I went through this with my second child. It's hard not to freak out. The lead source ended up being outside of our apartment, on our fire escape that we also used to walk up and down to do laundry, and we were tracking the lead into our home. As soon as we found the source, his levels went back to normal right away. `It doesn't seem to have hindered him in any way. Best of luck.

chelation is an extreme measure that can be dangerous - as it can get rid of all metals from the body.  including the ones we need to be healthy, it should only ever be done under competent medical supervison.

There are MANY different chelation protocols, some more heavy duty (and risky) and others more gentle & safer. Glutathione would fall under the latter, as well as things like alpha lipoic acid, n-acetyl-cysteine, etc. Definitely something to be overseen by a ND or integrative MD rather than attempting an unsupervised DIY version.

• Like 1