Menu

Cookies again

Night Elf

I'm a total failure at chocolate chip cookies. I tried making almond crescent cookies and didn't like the texture and the taste was too weird. So what can I try today? I love to bake and if something turns out well, I send it to DH's office so it's not sitting around my house. I thought about trying a regular sugar cookie but I don't know how to decorate them so they aren't messy in a ziploc bag when he takes them to the office. What cookie can I try today that will travel well? I don't have a tin for the cookies, that's why they travel in a ziploc.

Oatmeal raisin? There are lots of recipes out there, but my traditional one is Quaker Oats Vanishing Oatmeal cookie. (I can't link on my phone.)

I found it on the Quaker Oats website. I'd have to substitute the raisins since I really don't like them. It says I can use chocolate chips. That could taste good.

• Like 3

Baking is more of science than art. The Tollhouse chocolate chip cookie recipe is pretty standard. Maybe we can help you figure out what went wrong. Did you substitute anything? Ingredients at room temperature? Oven temp accurate? Confusing directions?

I tried 3 different recipes numerous times substituting Crisco for butter, doing half Crisco half butter and all butter. Nothing made them taste as good as my MIL's, and yes I tried her recipe as well. When I asked here about what could be going wrong, someone suggested some of my ingredients might be old so I threw it all out and bought all new ingredients. That didn't make a difference either. I figure my oven doesn't like them. When I made the almond crescent cookies, I didn't like their texture but I think it was the correct texture. I'm going to try the oatmeal cookies today and see how they turn out.

I always bake my cookies at a slightly lower temp - 315-325. I also use slightly less flour than called for and handbeat.

Foe the sugar cookies, you could mix sprinkles into the dough before baking, which would make pretty cookies. Or sprinkle on top of cut our cookies before baking - no icing needed. Or do "whoopie pie" cookies - two cookies with icing in between like a sandwich.

• Like 1

Have you tested your oven temperature?   Maybe it is off.  Or what about your pans?  Shiny or dark can make a difference. Have you tried baking on parchment paper?  You don't have to answer my questions; maybe this came up in your previous thread on the topic.

Maybe your MIL changes the recipe in some way when she makes them, and forgot to tell you what she does differently.  

You may or may not be interested in this article from King Arthur Flour:  Cookie Chemistry.  It's about achieving your preferred texture for chocolate chip cookies.

The sugar cookie recipe I posted in the sugar cookie thread, has an icing that is stiff when dried and doesn't spread. So those would transport well -- I'd transport in a small containers just because the cookies are rather fragile though, they break easily if you're rolling them properly thin. :)

I'm a total failure at chocolate chip cookies. I tried making almond crescent cookies and didn't like the texture and the taste was too weird. So what can I try today? I love to bake and if something turns out well, I send it to DH's office so it's not sitting around my house. I thought about trying a regular sugar cookie but I don't know how to decorate them so they aren't messy in a ziploc bag when he takes them to the office. What cookie can I try today that will travel well? I don't have a tin for the cookies, that's why they travel in a ziploc.

Grocery stores sell lots of plastic containers at reasonable prices. I use the Rubbermaid kind with the red lids. I wash them and reuse them for years, but if I don't get them back it is NBD.

If you need to use ziplock to transport, decorate with icing made with only powdered sugar and milk, cream or water. Make it fairly thin. I make it runny enough that I can dip the cookie into it, then scrape the little drippings off. There is a sweet spot of consistency that the icing spread nicely but doesn't run off the cookie too much.

I put them on waxed paper and sprinkle with decorations and then let them dry over night. Or at least 8 hours of so, until the icing is dry and set.

I find that frosting with butter usually stays much softer than icing without butter.

HTH

Yes - try the oatmeal with chocolate chips instead of raisins. THat's one of my favorites.

Also, you might try a whipped shortbread, Like shortbread, but creamier tasting. Also a favorite. I'll post my recipe if I can find it. (eta: this is the recipe I use http://www.foodnetwork.ca/recipe/light-as-air-whipped-shortbread-cookies/14040/)

(BTW, I just wanted to let you know that I love reading your posts. I don't always comment, but they make me happy. And your smiley avatar is very uplifting. :001_smile: )

ETA: Not for cookies that need whipping, but I agree with the PP who said to mix by hand - I can taste chocolate chip cookies that were mixed by hand vs a beater, and they taste much better to me.

Edited by 8circles

Yes - try the oatmeal with chocolate chips instead of raisins. THat's one of my favorites.

Also, you might try a whipped shortbread, Like shortbread, but creamier tasting. Also a favorite. I'll post my recipe if I can find it. (eta: this is the recipe I use http://www.foodnetwork.ca/recipe/light-as-air-whipped-shortbread-cookies/14040/)

(BTW, I just wanted to let you know that I love reading your posts. I don't always comment, but they make me happy. And your smiley avatar is very uplifting. :001_smile: )

ETA: Not for cookies that need whipping, but I agree with the PP who said to mix by hand - I can taste chocolate chip cookies that were mixed by hand vs a beater, and they taste much better to me.

Aww.. thank you! That brings a smile to my face. For the most part I feel quite silly posting, like my posts are all shallow while many others are world shaking ideas. :)

I forgot about over mixing. I wish I knew where that line was. I love my stand mixer as I said in another thread. I don't like mixing stuff by hand because it usually makes my arm sore. I have no upper body strength and don't last long mixing stuff by hand. DH usually has to step in which means I have to bake when he's home. I make banana chocolate chip muffins by hand. He always has to help me.

I forgot about over mixing. I wish I knew where that line was. I love my stand mixer as I said in another thread. I don't like mixing stuff by hand because it usually makes my arm sore. I have no upper body strength and don't last long mixing stuff by hand. DH usually has to step in which means I have to bake when he's home. I make banana chocolate chip muffins by hand. He always has to help me.

For cookies I almost always just mix until I can't see flour anymore. (edit: I do them in my stand mixer and have never had a problem -- just have to watch it). 

These cookies are very easy and wherever I take them they go like hot cakes. I do add a bit more spice (cloves, allspice, nutmeg). They're also very seasonal right now!

http://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/crackle-top-molasses-cookies-55351

Edited by kiana

Overmixing might be the issue.  The King Arthur Flour Company has a lovely Cookie Companion cookbook. Lots of good reading in there!

I encourage you to buy a pretty container to use when you send cookies to the office. Presentation can make a difference and you're putting a lot of effort and money into baking so you want the end product to be protected. 

I have a tendency to overnix in my stand mixer, so I have to pay extra attention. I do more bread than cookie baking so I think I should be able to walk off and load the dishwasher. 😂

Have you tried any sliceable cookies? The kind where you firm the dough into a log then refrigerate? I’m attempting ina garten’s fruit cake cookies now. Anything with candied cherries looks festive when sliced. 😬

• Like 1

For sugar cookies, you can decorate with egg paint before you bake. It’s essentially an egg yolk mixed with your food coloring and painted on with a brush. We used to do that as kids. It makes a shiny, crackly crust on your cookie that’s pretty and not sticky at all, a little like a stained glass window.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For sugar cookies, you can decorate with egg paint before you bake. It’s essentially an egg yolk mixed with your food coloring and painted on with a brush. We used to do that as kids. It makes a shiny, crackly crust on your cookie that’s pretty and not sticky at all, a little like a stained glass window.

Ooh wow, I had never thought of this and I must try it. I have used egg washes but only for savory goods. 

That's a very cool idea. Thanks!