Menu

Stray gray hairs that are wiry? Maybe I'll go purple ...

Ann.without.an.e

So my head has discovered that I am going on 40.  All of a sudden I am getting gray hairs here and there. The color isn't bothering me as much as the texture difference.  My hair is very soft/fine.  If I use something natural/wash out to dye it, will it help calm the crazy texture?  And if I have dark hair, nothing purple will take, right?  I saw a lady in a bookshop with the prettiest dark purple tones.  It didn't look punk or crazy.  I would have to bleach it first? 

• Like 1

My hair is kind of like that, only it started in my early 20s after DS was born. It's actually, other than the color, been not such a bad thing. My hair was so fine before and the little bit of added texture mixed in helps when I'm trying to style it and it holds style better. I even have a bit of a wave now and some body. Color didn't affect it at all but I use moisturizing shampoo now instead of shampoo for fine hair. Of course, DS is 16 and it was a process. I'm not sure how long it took to go from random annoying straggly hairs to having enough of them to add body.

• Like 1

My hair is med/dark brown. Depending on the purple you want, you won't have to bleach it if your hair is similar. I had a purple hair accident a while back. It was kind of pretty and very shiny, but I'm not a purple hair person so I got rid of it ASAP. 

Edited by Paige
  • Like 1

I can comisserate. My 40th is creeping up and I have a few whit hairs that stick straight up out of my part because they are a different texture. When I look in the mirror I feel like they're mocking me! Haha! My neighbor says that argan oil treatment helps soften the wirey hair so that they'll lay down better but I haven't tried it yet.

• Like 1

I am in my early 50's  and do not color my hair.  Within the last few months I have started noticing these wiry white/grey hairs.  Is this the type of texture and color I should expect for all of the grey hairs?  If so, I am afraid my head will look like a brillo pad at some point.  Is there some magic a salon could perform to tame these wiry hairs to look more like my normal hair texture?

• Like 2

I started going gray at a young age, but after a while, my wiry independent minded gray hairs were bothering me too. I wasn't interested in coloring my hair, and someone on here suggested Chagrin Valley's Shampoo bars. I switched to the Coconut Milk shampoo bar - alternating when it runs out with the Carrot Milk & Honey bar. My gray hair is now a softer texture as is the rest of my hair too. I do use a shampoo & condition specifically for gray hair twice a week - mostly because I like the idea of the gray sparkling more! Hey, I've got it - might as well enjoy it! 

https://www.chagrinvalleysoapandsalve.com/products/natural-hair/natural-shampoo-bars/

• Like 2

I hate those wiry hairs.  Seriously they are so annoying.  I do dye my hair and many times there are still a few random wiry strands of gray after!!  I hardly  have any gray. Just those random wiry pieces.

Dying does help, but like I said, sometimes a few just sneak past the dye.  And that went for having it professionally done verses me doing it.  It didn't matter.

• Like 1

I have dark brown hair that is heavily gray around the temples. I think it's pretty but those short, crazy grays...Blah! Hate them.

I often can't see them until I'm out in public and get in new lighting. Then I'm shocked by all the crazies on my part and hairline. I would love some treatment to smooth/tame them!

• Like 1