Menu

How can you tell (medical question)

creekland

I'm not really sure how off the pulse is though.  Hubby and I just tested it on walks.  Same walk (side by side) - probably a mile or mile and a half, but with a lengthy stop midway to talk with our neighbors.  Mine definitely got higher.  It was 116 at the end.  His was 78.  But 5 minutes later (I timed it) it was down to 85 - his was 73.  At 10 minutes mine was 78.  His 67.

So the main difference is right after (and probably during) the walk.  Is that likely a problem or just a personal difference?

I would suggest a cardiologist and have an echo done. I know you had a stress test, but most of the time those do not focus on the valves. Aortic stenosis, among other heart conditions, can cause shortness of breath and change in functional capacity. It's noninvasive and an easy way to rule out valve trouble. Wouldn't be a bad idea to repeat the stress test too, yours was quite some time ago, but I think an echo is completely appropriate with your symptoms. Your PCP should be able to order it as well. 

• Like 2

I'm sorry this is all so puzzling.

I went through a spell of being able to hear and feel my pulse - which was really disturbing. I would be fine all day until I laid down at night trying to sleep and the thump-thump-thump would make me unable to think about anything else. I did have a whole cardiac workup (chest x-ray, ekg, echo, exercise stress test, holter monitor) plus had my thyroid and potassium checked (well, lots of blood work but that's what I remember). My pulse rate and blood pressure were fine, but the whole thing was giving me anxiety. I even tried anxiety meds and they didn't help.

What fixed it was going on the pill. I am apparently lucky enough to go through early perimenopause, and the low progestorone was causing that symptom. Just something to consider.

• Like 1

Creekland, I do hope you get some answers soon.  You've gotten some great suggestions here, but of course the next step is to see a doctor.

I don't know if you had time to look into pulmonary hypertension, but here is the quick summary directly from the Mayo Clinic website.  I'll post it here for you and as a general PSA, since the disease is not widely known:

Symptoms

The signs and symptoms of pulmonary hypertension in its early stages might not be noticeable for months or even years. As the disease progresses, symptoms become worse.

Pulmonary hypertension symptoms include:

• Shortness of breath (dyspnea), initially while exercising and eventually while at rest
  • Fatigue
  • Dizziness or fainting spells (syncope)
  • Chest pressure or pain
  • Swelling (edema) in your ankles, legs and eventually in your abdomen (ascites)
  • Bluish color to your lips and skin (cyanosis)
  • Racing pulse or heart palpitations

Again, I wouldn't presume to diagnose you . . . but pulmonary hypertension could explain the years of (otherwise unexplainable) shortness of breath when you are otherwise healthy.  Of course, there are *many* possible causes of that.  I truly wish you the best in getting answers, and hope you'll report back here to let us know.  Hugs!

• Like 2

What fixed it was going on the pill. I am apparently lucky enough to go through early perimenopause, and the low progestorone was causing that symptom. Just something to consider.

That's intriguing.  I wonder how that fixed it... From what I've been told hearing the pulse happens when a blood vessel is close enough to the ear drum to hear it.  It's not supposed to happen, but can with tumors or cysts, etc, (so those were checked for).  Google tells me the next biggest cause is vascular which includes things like extra blood vessels growing where they shouldn't.  That's what I think is going on since it's happened elsewhere in my body (hand - twice), so I see no reason it couldn't happen somewhere else too (and this does not show up on MRIs supposedly).  But that's me.  Doctors feel it ends at checking for cysts and tumors and I can have nerve suppression meds or anti-anxiety meds if I want them - they encourage their use, but I don't care for them.  (The nerve suppression meds are technically to suppress the numbness and pain I continually have on my left trigiminal nerve, but could possibly help the other too since they don't know if it could be related - that part causes the left ear to be in pain often - the same ear I hear the pulse in.)

No one has ever mentioned even the possibility of it being a hormone issue.

I'm not sure how long ago you had radiation, however, if your lung area was radiated, look into radiation fibrosis. I'm not sure if that is a long term side effect or something that shows up earlier.  

Not the lungs, just the head - for the brain tumor.

Creekland, I do hope you get some answers soon.  You've gotten some great suggestions here, but of course the next step is to see a doctor.

I don't know if you had time to look into pulmonary hypertension, but here is the quick summary directly from the Mayo Clinic website.  I'll post it here for you and as a general PSA, since the disease is not widely known:

Symptoms

The signs and symptoms of pulmonary hypertension in its early stages might not be noticeable for months or even years. As the disease progresses, symptoms become worse.

Pulmonary hypertension symptoms include:

• Shortness of breath (dyspnea), initially while exercising and eventually while at rest
  • Fatigue
  • Dizziness or fainting spells (syncope)
  • Chest pressure or pain
  • Swelling (edema) in your ankles, legs and eventually in your abdomen (ascites)
  • Bluish color to your lips and skin (cyanosis)
  • Racing pulse or heart palpitations

Again, I wouldn't presume to diagnose you . . . but pulmonary hypertension could explain the years of (otherwise unexplainable) shortness of breath when you are otherwise healthy.  Of course, there are *many* possible causes of that.  I truly wish you the best in getting answers, and hope you'll report back here to let us know.  Hugs!

I did look it up, but thanks anyway!  So far, the only symptoms that match are the shortness of breath and chest pain (if that's connected).  I'll update what the dr said in my next post so it doesn't get buried.

Ok, I'm back.  The dr doesn't think it's a cardiac issue since there aren't enough symptoms of one.  She (like me) feels it's a lung issue.  She also said cardiac would not get worse with cold weather, but lung issues can - and that insurance won't agree to a stress test without more than "breathing issues" as a symptom.  She sees nothing wrong with the pulse when I mention that part, and not many doctors understand the difference between insurance and health share to know that health share wouldn't care to the same level insurance does about tests.  With health share if she thought it was needed (and it's not a routine annual test), they're ok with it, but I didn't push it.  There was enough rolling of the eyes (not literally, but vibes) when I tried to push further into the pulse bit, so it's easier to just get the lungs tested first.

So now I'm supposed to wait up to a week for some scheduling office to call to set up pulmonary function testing - whatever that entails.  When the results come back from that we'll see where to proceed.

In the meantime, keep exercising, eat a healthy diet, and lose some weight.  The latter two I'm working on.  Most of our diet is healthy IF we're home.  It's when we're not home that we have the most problems and lately we haven't been home much.

The first I was doing (to the level I set as my bar anyway), but there was a mental pause thinking of the possibility of it being cardiac and wondering if pushing it (like with jogging the ponies and not feeling better from that until this morning chest and other inflammation issues-wise) was the wrong decision.  Eh, at least that pushed my body into agreeing with my brain and getting the ball rolling on figuring out just what is wrong.  And once again I didn't actually die even if the body would have welcomed that as it always does on bad days.  ;)

That's the summary from here.  I've no idea when I'll hear from that appointment scheduling group.  My "that's how life works" mind suspects it will be one of the next few days when I'm at school working and can't take their phone call.  Hopefully they'll leave a call back number.  Then too, I've no idea how long it takes to go from getting that call to actually getting the test(s) done.

That's intriguing.  I wonder how that fixed it... From what I've been told hearing the pulse happens when a blood vessel is close enough to the ear drum to hear it.  It's not supposed to happen, but can with tumors or cysts, etc, (so those were checked for).  Google tells me the next biggest cause is vascular which includes things like extra blood vessels growing where they shouldn't.  That's what I think is going on since it's happened elsewhere in my body (hand - twice), so I see no reason it couldn't happen somewhere else too (and this does not show up on MRIs supposedly).  But that's me.  Doctors feel it ends at checking for cysts and tumors and I can have nerve suppression meds or anti-anxiety meds if I want them - they encourage their use, but I don't care for them.  (The nerve suppression meds are technically to suppress the numbness and pain I continually have on my left trigiminal nerve, but could possibly help the other too since they don't know if it could be related - that part causes the left ear to be in pain often - the same ear I hear the pulse in.)

There is a lot of data to support that hormonal changes can cause heart palpitations. While I never felt an irregular heartbeat, I always felt like mine was pounding - like I had a constant surge of adrenaline that was making my heart thump strongly and loudly, and I could both hear it and feel it, especially at night when I was still and quiet. Then that sensation would give me some anxiety, which would make it worse! This lasted for several months before I started getting really worried and saw the doc. The doctors I saw all called that "palpitations" even though my heartbeat was regular. My pulse wasn't really fast (80s) and my blood pressure was a little higher than normal, but still within normal limits. So it seemed like a mystery to me why I could feel it so strongly. Anyway, within a week of starting the pill, it went back to normal. That might not be what you are describing at all, though.

• Like 1

There is a lot of data to support that hormonal changes can cause heart palpitations. While I never felt an irregular heartbeat, I always felt like mine was pounding - like I had a constant surge of adrenaline that was making my heart thump strongly and loudly, and I could both hear it and feel it, especially at night when I was still and quiet. Then that sensation would give me some anxiety, which would make it worse! This lasted for several months before I started getting really worried and saw the doc. The doctors I saw all called that "palpitations" even though my heartbeat was regular. My pulse wasn't really fast (80s) and my blood pressure was a little higher than normal, but still within normal limits. So it seemed like a mystery to me why I could feel it so strongly. Anyway, within a week of starting the pill, it went back to normal. That might not be what you are describing at all, though.

Yeah, that's not what I feel (the pounding sensation), but I still find it interesting to see what other's experience.  I can't "feel" it either.  Just hear it - a quiet beating in the background.  It's always there if I'm lying down without other noise around from fans or open windows (with noise outside).  It's always there when I'm sitting (similar deal with the noise).  I don't hear it often while standing, but I'm not sure if that's due to standing and lower bp in my head or due to there always being noise around if I'm up and about.  I can't say I've ever tested it.  I just notice it when it's there.

The part that bothers me the most is that they called off the search to figure out the cause (and if it's fixable) even though there seems to be a plausible next step to check (before calling it off if that came back negative).  So when I hear it and my brain isn't occupied with something else, that's what it defaults to - the craziness of our system that I can't be in control of my own body when it come to my health.   :cursing:   With my other issues it's a pain thing (when they're bad) and then sometimes add in a similar mental frustration.  With that one it's all mental.

I used to also worry about potential problems if they're wrong.  With my suspected cause there's a 10% chance it will fix itself (something I used to hope for and still do, but consider very unlikely since it's been so long), an 80% chance that it just stays there without harm (what's likely to happen), and a 10% chance of stroke/death (all on any given year) according to the site I found it on.  That last part used to concern me.  Now I'm totally fine if a health issue ends my life... just make sure it ends it and doesn't cause major issues while still leaving me breathing.  Getting to that level mentally was necessary for me to be able to continue life instead of driving myself mad with the control issue part.  Driving myself mad would have ended life too - far higher odds (for me anyway) than 10%.  Came darn close to 100% at one point.  It's much more balanced now - I just know I need to keep noise around, esp if getting frustrated.

Problem solving.  Here's the problem.  Solve it.  When traditional methods don't work (aka, doctor appts), then start thinking outside the box.  (What makes it better?  Not hearing it?  Ok, that one "I" can control - most of the time.)

I'm glad you got in and are going to have some follow up. Is this appointment scheduling group putting you into pulmonology? 

FWIW, my mother had (has) something really similar. She has messed up lungs, likely from childhood exposure to smoke or untreated resulting asthma. Whatever the cause, it's easy for her damaged lungs to get clogged and chronically infected. She had testing and they are treating a resistant bacteria right now (no fever or similar, just increasing exercise tolerance/breathing issues). I think the (3 antibiotics) treatment goes on for a year or more. Presumably, her lung function will improve when the bacteria is gone. Actually, she's greatly improved on the antibiotics already, but they have to make sure they get all of them over time. 

But she won't be normal even after--her baseline lung function is poor due to that past damage, even when not infected. She does not have asthma. She saw an allergy/asthma doctor initially, then was transferred to pulmonology when asthma was ruled out as the cause of the issues. But her symptoms are very similar to yours. 

Edited by sbgrace
  • Like 1

I'm glad you got in and are going to have some follow up. Is this appointment scheduling group putting you into pulmonology? 

FWIW, my mother had (has) something really similar. She has messed up lungs, likely from childhood exposure to smoke or untreated resulting asthma. Whatever the cause, it's easy for her damaged lungs to get clogged and chronically infected. She had testing and they are treating a resistant bacteria right now (no fever or similar, just increasing exercise tolerance/breathing issues). I think the (3 antibiotics) treatment goes on for a year or more. Presumably, her lung function will improve when the bacteria is gone. Actually, she's greatly improved on the antibiotics already, but they have to make sure they get all of them over time. 

But she won't be normal even after--her baseline lung function is poor due to that past damage, even when not infected. She does not have asthma. She saw an allergy/asthma doctor initially, then was transferred to pulmonology when asthma was ruled out as the cause of the issues. But her symptoms are very similar to yours. 

Interesting about your mom.  I don't have the smoke-exposure background at all, but I've had a handful of "settled in the lungs" viruses over the years.

'Tis supposed to be pulmonology tests that are to be scheduled.  I just don't know when they'll call to schedule them - sometime within a week is what I was told - or call the office if I haven't heard within a week to be more specific.  I'm guessing the days are gone when we minions get to call THEM to schedule appts for things like this.  I already answered an unknown number that turned out to be a spammer today thinking it could be the call I wanted.  :glare:

Then I've spent the last hour getting a wee bit miffed that the doctor credited the difference in hubby's and my pulse when walking to,"he's obviously in better condition than you are."  Hubby chuckled on the phone with that one when I updated him.  Yep, my "works at a computer" hubby who mainly goes for walks because I tell him it's time for a break, so let's take a walk and even with that is almost always below my step count by a bit is in better condition.  Shall we compare diets too?  His weekly burger and fries + more to my half a taco salad (made with only a little meat) - esp since he eats the other half of mine?  But I forget that his penis gives him an advantage to essentially everyone.  (sigh)

And... if we had to run a 100 yard dash right now, he'd at least be able to do it.  I doubt I could even finish it running.  So yeah, he's in better condition.  Not because he tries and I don't though!

We'll see what the tests say - and I'll continue working our finances to make this the last winter we need to spend where it's cold.  If I get rid of the ponies, cold, and hills, I can pretend it's not there for a little while at least (as a backup plan).

Eh, test(s) aren't until the 28th of Nov since we won't be home the 21st (the other date available).

I guess it'll be a while before I have any sort of answers.

Oh well.  'Tis bound to be closer than if I'd decided not to bother and just live with it.

Interestingly enough, hubby came home from his "working in the field" day today.  I'm currently at 6000 steps for the day - even with not doing chores this morning due to the early appt.  He's currently at 3000 something (forgot exactly where, but lower half).  Practically all of his other numbers (bp, cholesterol, triglycerides, etc) are worse than mine.  The only exception is blood sugar level since my mom was nice enough to let me inherit her diabetic tendency, but my diet keeps things below "need to take action" levels.  His would not (for me).

Yeah, he keeps in better condition.  At least we can laugh about it.  And my good bp - even at a dr's office which is unusual for me - is part of why the dr did not think anything was wrong with the heart.  Pulse at that time was 65.  BP was 128/78.  Other than what's "wrong" with my body causing the issues, everything else is doing just fine in spite of my lack of staying "in condition." 

I have asthma that I got as an adult.  I do not think doctors can tell I have asthma from listening to my lungs when I am not having an asthma attack.  All I know is that they always say "My lungs sound clear" and nothing about how they sound asthmatic.  I do know that while a doctor suggested I might have asthma, it wasn't certain until I went to a pulmonologist and had tests. As to wheezing, I am not sure why that feature is so commonly used to show what asthma is.  I have very rarely had wheezing even when I was having a bad asthma attack and the same with my daughter who has worse asthma then me and the same with my dh.  The main symptom all of us have when having an asthma attack is feeling we are not getting enough air to breathe. 

As to monitors and determining if you are breathing good, with treatment, I have gotten better.  My best, after another bout of pneumonia, was about 380.  After five years of more treatment than before the pneumonia, it is now 455 which is better than average for my age, sex, and height.  The main thing that the peak flow monitor can do if you test regularly is check whether you are going to get an asthma problem soon since the peak flows often start falling a day or two before you actually get a problem.  As to reactive airway disease, that is what the military called asthma in order to not trigger insurance problems later. Both my dh and my dd were called that.  For dh, it was so he could stay in the military.  For dd, it was so asthma didn't show up for later insurance issues.  It is also the reason I was not diagnosed in having lupus for a long time-- they were already treating me with medications for another, less dangerous disease, that were the same medications that could be used for lupus anyway and it was better for me insurance-wise if that word didn't appear in my records.  But yes, my youngest had asthma from when she was little though her attacks were so infrequent then that no permanent medications were needed.  However, by the time she became an older teen, the asthma became a much bigger issue and now she is on not only maintenance medications but because she had an attack that necessitated an overnight stay at a hospital, she was even put on a biologic for asthma.  My dh has done much better with his asthma.  He still does not need maintenance medications.

• Like 1

I have asthma that I got as an adult.  I do not think doctors can tell I have asthma from listening to my lungs when I am not having an asthma attack.  All I know is that they always say "My lungs sound clear" and nothing about how they sound asthmatic.  I do know that while a doctor suggested I might have asthma, it wasn't certain until I went to a pulmonologist and had tests. As to wheezing, I am not sure why that feature is so commonly used to show what asthma is.  I have very rarely had wheezing even when I was having a bad asthma attack and the same with my daughter who has worse asthma then me and the same with my dh.  The main symptom all of us have when having an asthma attack is feeling we are not getting enough air to breathe. 

As to monitors and determining if you are breathing good, with treatment, I have gotten better.  My best, after another bout of pneumonia, was about 380.  After five years of more treatment than before the pneumonia, it is now 455 which is better than average for my age, sex, and height.  The main thing that the peak flow monitor can do if you test regularly is check whether you are going to get an asthma problem soon since the peak flows often start falling a day or two before you actually get a problem.  As to reactive airway disease, that is what the military called asthma in order to not trigger insurance problems later. Both my dh and my dd were called that.  For dh, it was so he could stay in the military.  For dd, it was so asthma didn't show up for later insurance issues.  It is also the reason I was not diagnosed in having lupus for a long time-- they were already treating me with medications for another, less dangerous disease, that were the same medications that could be used for lupus anyway and it was better for me insurance-wise if that word didn't appear in my records.  But yes, my youngest had asthma from when she was little though her attacks were so infrequent then that no permanent medications were needed.  However, by the time she became an older teen, the asthma became a much bigger issue and now she is on not only maintenance medications but because she had an attack that necessitated an overnight stay at a hospital, she was even put on a biologic for asthma.  My dh has done much better with his asthma.  He still does not need maintenance medications.

Thank you for this post with more information.  I do far, far better with more information than less.  I suppose my ability to just trust someone else isn't very high.  I need reasons and prefer details.

I've been looking up some of the tests they plan to do online and it looks like it will be pretty thorough - a good thing in my mind.  I'm curious about two things.  1)  Was the Navy correct three decades ago or did they totally change my life's plans over a mistake?  I know I can't do a thing about it now, but the curiosity is still there.  And 2)  What's going on now and can it be improved or fixed?

Saturday's lingering effects definitely left quite an impression on me at just how bad this has gotten in a relatively short period of time.  I don't feel like I got back to 100% (of my normal) until today.  I'm not even sure I'm at 100% right now because I felt that way yesterday and the lingering effects came back as soon as I resumed my normal walks.  (Effects don't usually linger.)  Today I've just been at school - no hills, no stairs, all flat.  So 6300 steps in with nothing "stressing."  At least that seems normal.  I'm not going to get a hill in today.  It's raining.  My commitment to 10,000 steps isn't high enough to deal with rain.  And I like feeling normal, at least for a day, before pushing it again.

On a totally different note, middle son called today to share a high point of his med school day/time/whatever.  Afterward I caught him on what's going on (now) with the lung issues.  The lad is a wealth of knowledge - super good for those of us who like more information rather than less about what's going on.  It's quite probably a great thing for anyone who likes knowledge to aim a lad or lass toward med school to be able to use that source later!  ;)  And since he's not jaded yet, he's eager to share his knowledge.  :hurray:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Quick question if anyone reading knows.  Lung functioning tests are tomorrow at 12:30pm - supposedly some sort of 2 hour variety, but that's all I know.

The past week I've been a couch potato (due to location).  Being a couch potato makes it seem like there is nothing wrong with the lungs.  They never get even moderate challenge.  Today we returned home, did typical chores and a walk and they're still there - same as always.

I KNOW if I do some typical, but not super common, chores tomorrow morning that will stress the lungs enough to cause the pain problem that caused me to call the doctor in the first place.

Is it a good idea to do that?  (I'm not talking about running a marathon or anything unusual - just typical, but more straining pony farm chores - things I could normally do without any issues at all a year or two ago and much worse now than earlier this year.)  Or am I better off just sticking with normal?  Or even keeping as a couch potato for the morning?  Or will it not make a difference?  (Other than the activity will cause the pain to linger for at least a day - maybe two.)

I'm undecided.  Eons ago the Navy said my results were better with exercise, not worse, but it sure feels worse now.  I'm not even sure if exercise is part of the testing planned.

My goal is fair tests, showing what is wrong (whatever that is).  If they end up saying nothing is wrong, I'm finished with this whole thing (medically), so I don't want that to happen due to some fluke of our traveling. though hubby says it just means we'll take middle son up on his suggestion to get things checked out at his med school.

Ok, so just putting an end on this thread 'cause I personally like having conclusions to threads.

'Taint asthma.  IMO, it never was asthma in my life and that puts a rather nasty thought in my brain about how those Navy docs totally changed my life plans 29 years ago, but that's something I can't change now and my 21 year old self had no clue to pursue it further or that the test they did wasn't a test for "asthma."  I shall just have to let time dim that nasty thought.  Fortunately, I like the life I've lived, so that helps, but still... (sigh)  There was nothing with today's test that even remotely matched what I feel when this happens - now - or back when I couldn't complete the run decades ago.  That one doesn't match these either FWIW, but I had just assumed more progression over the 3 decades.

As to what it is... dunno.  Seems the doc only asked to have asthma checked.  She'll get the results in a few days.  (Rural areas might be a little more lenient with testing folks giving results than is "protocol," but I'm not complaining and if anyone else feels it's wrong for them to do so, stuff it.  It's my life.)

Unless the doc suggests something else, I think I'm done with it.  I know I can do less and not have it bother me - at least for the time being.  I may just switch to a less active lifestyle - coupling that with snowbirding in the south for the nerve issues - no stairs, no hills wherever we opt to go.  Or... I might just continue on pushing through with doing what I want to do and enduring the after effects while grumbling about it knowing it hasn't killed me yet and being ok with the idea that if it does "next time" I'm ok with it.  The thought is not a bad one.

It could also be a mix - cutting back when it bugs me (mentally) and pushing on when it doesn't.  I'll think about it for a bit.

I will actively be working to sell the ponies.  They're the biggest source of "must do" chores.

• Like 1

Pulmonary Specialist is a Pulmonologist.  IMO you should see one of those. And as I recall from another thread, your first year Med. student DS found a Vascular issue when doing an incredibly basic test on you a few days ago.  So, for that, I would suggest that your #1 doctor should be an M.D. who is a Board Certified Internal Medicine/Cardiologist.  If that doesn't take in a Vascular issue, he or she can refer you to a Vascular specialist.  I would want the Lung Capacity testing done and a Stress EKG done.  I hope what is causing this is minor. 

• Like 1

I too would gently suggest that you see a pulmonologist. Quite possibly a cardiologist as well. This has been an issue for many, many years now, and it sounds like a very minimal work up at best has been done. I think you owe it to yourself to get some more answers, and it is likely that you will need to see a specialist to do that. It is possible that the military doctors were completely wrong, but it is also possible that this most recent doctor was wrong.

• Like 1

Creek,I read most of what you write esp about your medical journey.But asking just in case i missed reading I'm asking you

So they dd the PFT and your numbers looked good?And so the dr says its not asthma?

Sending you a pm

This test was a completely drug induced one.  It was normal breath testing followed by methylcholine (could be a little off there) testing.  No exercise at all.  Nothing they did even remotely brought on symptoms of what happens.

The Navy test was a treadmill/breathing test.  I'm not sure what was available 29 years ago, but supposedly now that test is only to check for exercise induced asthma (which I didn't have - even back then).  She thinks they assumed I had asthma rather than testing for it and just labeled it accordingly - no exercise induced, yes to basic.  That "yes" got me kicked out of the AF.   :cursing:

I have never in my life had anything I'd consider asthma based upon what I see of it from others - not even when I couldn't finish that one run.  That literally could have been something as simple as being out of condition due to getting married over the summer instead of continuing to exercise.  I wish I knew then what I know now.   :banghead:

The doctor doesn't even have the results yet.  I have them early... unofficial, of course, since not from the doctor, but no reason I know of to doubt it.  This test did not in any way replicate symptoms that happen (then or now) so that part matches what I was told.

I too would gently suggest that you see a pulmonologist. Quite possibly a cardiologist as well. This has been an issue for many, many years now, and it sounds like a very minimal work up at best has been done. I think you owe it to yourself to get some more answers, and it is likely that you will need to see a specialist to do that. It is possible that the military doctors were completely wrong, but it is also possible that this most recent doctor was wrong.

Not really.  I don't think what happened 29 years ago is related anymore.  There was absolutely nothing in between that and the last 2 or 3 years to suggest it was ongoing - not even one incident.  The change in breathing probably started a year ago or so (chest pains have been around on and off for perhaps 3 years - that's when the stress test was done and came back fine).  Mentally I just connected the breathing issues and assumed that "will deteriorate later" bit I was told was finally happening, so ignored it.

I don't know what to think now TBH.  My mind is still getting over the "my life was drastically changed over a mistake" bit.  I'd always wondered since there were no incidents, but now that I know it's still mind blowing.

Pulmonary Specialist is a Pulmonologist.  IMO you should see one of those. And as I recall from another thread, your first year Med. student DS found a Vascular issue when doing an incredibly basic test on you a few days ago.  So, for that, I would suggest that your #1 doctor should be an M.D. who is a Board Certified Internal Medicine/Cardiologist.  If that doesn't take in a Vascular issue, he or she can refer you to a Vascular specialist.  I would want the Lung Capacity testing done and a Stress EKG done.  I hope what is causing this is minor. 

Yeah, I'm aware that his vascular test makes this even more "interesting" for lack of a better word.  I'm not sure what to make of it all with no other cardiac symptoms (even the chest pains are on the wrong side to be the heart).  The last stress test came back fine.  It was three years ago though.  Still, no other cardiac symptoms.  On a basic normal paced (not quick) walk tonight my pulse was 118.  Coming home and doing basement to second floor with a load of laundry it went up to 124 (and the breath is short upstairs at that point).  Three minutes later after folding jeans it was down to 106.  Eight minutes later and sitting it was down to 86.  Two hours later (now) and still mostly sitting for that time it's 77.  That seems to my uneducated brain to be ok.  It goes high - much higher than my boys or hubby - but it comes down with regular stuff.  It only stays high longer when I do a bit extra.  But I know I'm not able to do a stress test again once they add an incline or jogging, so who knows?  At rest in the evening - esp being a couch potato at my mom's, it was usually in the upper 50s or low 60s.  I thought that was supposed to be a good thing.

I think vascular goes with hearing the pulse and a few other known things where blood vessels exist or were found and they shouldn't have been, but how much further it goes - esp since it was only in my left hand, not right, I'm just not sure.

FWIW, I couldn't easily hear my pulse last night.  That sounded weird!  At my mom's I heard the heartbeat, not pulse, for 4 nights when lying down on my left (pulse for the nights before that and in other positions).  Last night - nothing on the left or right - it was silent.  I could make it out faintly when lying on my back, but not anywhere near as loud as normal.

My mind wants to think it's fixing itself.  ;)  In reality, it could be that I was super low on fluid... very thirsty, but too lazy to get something to drink.  I'd only had about 24 oz worth and almost all of that in the morning.  I don't know.  I could find out tonight.  If it was just a low fluid thing, at least I know how to give myself a break in the future, so there's that.  If my body is finally getting around to fixing itself, I'll be ecstatic.  That's the best way to get rid of problems!

Have you had a Doppler vascular assessment? If itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s not lungs, youĂ¢â‚¬â„¢re hearing your pulse and your med student has suggested vascular, you might want to get one done. Find a vascular specialist and get a referral. You might get some answers.

No, nothing purely vascular has been tested.  When I point blank asked for it a year or so ago I was denied, told it wasn't a problem because I wasn't fatigued, and told to reduce stress.  I reduced stress.  I ditched the dr appts.  Now if only the annoying and sometimes painful symptoms would go away.

But over that year I've learned to live with them, making small adjustments here and there to make them as least annoying as I can.

Prior to that last appt a year ago I was reminded (twice - different doctors) of how having had a serious condition (in my case, my brain tumor) makes one sensitive to anything else that happens in their body.  That is essentially their conclusion of what is happening - side effects from radiation magnified by my brain.  Who knows.  Maybe they are right.  The radiation doc disagrees, but they just say he doesn't know what he's talking about and he tells me anything else is outside of his specialty, so he's of no further use unless I think there's something wrong with my tumor (I don't).

I had no intention of going to a doctor again unless it were something incredibly obvious to all - not just something I feel.  I did that for painful lumps under my left armpit.  Those can be felt by anyone, and were looked at by US, determined not to be cancerous (yeah) and then I was told they're fatty tissue that has always been there. I'm wrong in thinking they came in essentially overnight for a really painful couple of days.  I know I'm right with that.  Hubby also knows I'm right.  Neither of us can prove it, so I live with it.

I thought this one would be obvious to all too since it's obvious to anyone I walk hills or stairs with.  But I believe the tests.  It's not my lungs and especially not asthma.  There is no fatigue or other symptoms of cardiac.  The vascular one middle son came up with only happened with a couch potato life.  I can fix that when I'm not at my mom's or in-laws.  It didn't happen when I resumed more normal activity.

Maybe radiation has caused my brain to come up with things on its own.  Who knows?

ETA  And not hearing my pulse last night must have been due to low hydration.  I'm just sitting in my chair now with no other noise around except our computers and I can hear it - same as always.  (sigh)  At least I know how to get a break from it now.  I've no desire to really mess with my kidneys by doing it all the time though.

100 years ago someone would have had to live with these things.  Probably 50 years ago too.  I can do it now.

It's still super irritating that my life was so greatly changed by a mistake.  GRR!

Edited by creekland

Just adding a vent on here (mainly because I don't feel like putting it on the main board, but feel like venting).

Today I find myself still absolutely livid at the Navy's mistake.  Furious is another word I could use.  It changed my whole life from one I was looking forward to for quite some years - a career in the AF that would have been incredibly appealing - to one now where my claim to fame is "substitute teacher."  I know part of the reason I stay off FB is because hubby sometimes updates me regarding what some of our peers are doing or have done with their lives.  I can be updated through him.  I don't need to see it all for myself.

I know some on here can't relate as they've always wanted to be SAHMs, and there's nothing at all wrong with that, but what if you ended up having to do a career instead - not getting to stay home essentially at all because of a mistake someone else made (with finances or whatever).  It all "could have been," but wasn't - just because you were too naive at the time to know you should challenge something.

I remind myself that I've enjoyed my life.  I remind myself that my kids would not be who they are if things had been different (even if just due to different times for conception).  Those facts should make me feel better (sigh).  They don't.  Different isn't always bad.  With the AF there would have been more travel (something I love) and I just plain enjoyed it.  Hubby also would have likely stayed in the Navy doing something he enjoyed instead of getting out to be an engineer due to my circumstances.

I honestly wish they had never tested it now.  I always had doubts in more recent years, but doubts were better than certainty.

I have nothing against those who did the tests I requested, but I'm done requesting anything. Sometimes it's just better not to know. Que sera, sera.  Bodies are designed (by God or nature - take your pick) to heal themselves.  Mine can do so if it wants to.

I'm also going to take a little bit (not sure how long) of a board break.  I've been trying to "lose" myself in threads.  That's not working out too well for me (nothing against those threads).  I'm going to be heading outside and getting stuff done with ponies and around the house.  Maybe a good bit of physical exertion will help distract my mind instead of just sitting around on a computer mostly.  I'd be quickly designing a trip if I could as that's the best distraction (sigh), but right now, that's not in our budget.  We're home for a short bit.  Hubby must get work done (to keep our bills paid) before we're off to family again.  I'll be back at school again soon.  That might help - or not - things like this will obviously be shared there among my friends too. 

My healthy friends...they've opened their own law practices, one teaches at Harvard, many are VPs of research in their companies.  I wasn't lucky enough to find a company willing to employ people with my issues, and I take comfort in that being a a SAHM helped me help a few hundred kids via my volunteer work.  Five just graduated from college, and none would have gone without me to show them the possibilities and pointing out that not getting into honors program is due to lack of seats, not lack of brainpower.  

Best wishes as you sort thru it. 

:grouphug:  back.  This is similar to what I'm trying to concentrate on.

Fortunately, yesterday going out with the ponies was enjoyable.  I resisted the urge to do any sort of massive exertion (at least sane enough to not want that complication making things physically worse on top of the mental aspect) and stuck with just enjoying my critters while I still have them, letting my mind revisit the past 29 years (or at least 20 anyway as that's when we moved to PA) with my boys and the countless other critters who have been here, then kids at school, and similar - none of which would have happened with my Plan A.  I don't know what would have happened there and never will.

Next year we'll try to spend 4 months of winter in the south and flat.  That should at least eliminate most problems I get, esp if I cut back what I do here.

And as a final follow up - no other appts or questions - all is normal (as I was told) with my lungs, so the official diagnosis is lack of conditioning.  Nothing else is planned.

My family has to laugh at the out of conditioning bit.  It goes right along with stress, of course.  None of these things hit other people who do far less "conditioning" things or have far more stress in their lives, but hey, my mom and I are special.

Such is life.

Dr Hive and Dr Real Life differ considerably.

At least I know I can snowbird starting next winter and avoid chores and hills, etc, to pretend life is relatively normal (most of the time).  In the meantime, if this winter (shoveling snow, etc) actually does cause harm instead of just breathing issues and pain, then that will, at least, solve the problem.  If not, that which doesn't kill you just makes you stronger.  It's been the motto of my life lately and shall remain so.  I can't fathom any reason I'd head to a doctor again - at least - until middle son knows more and has reasonable suggestions.  He's seen it.  He knows my life and personality.  No one else does.  I'm just one of the crowd to them and stats say...