Menu

Vaccines (Is this the right board to post?)

Okay, I have two questions.

First, I have ds7 and ds 5. They're shots (up to 4 years) are up to date. Now for their boosters they're supposed to get between 4-6, are they necessary, or can they be delayed even after 6? ds7 hasn't gotten his three boosters.

Second, ds2 is behind on all his shots. last time, doctor told me he had to get certain shots (b/c he's older than 2 now) for them to be effective. i forget which ones, may Hib or DTaP. Should I keep giving him his shots spaced out, or can I wait until he's three or even four to continue. Tried looking for alternate schedules on the web but none talk about the 4-6 year range, and all the alternate schedules just space out the shots; they don't wait until an older age.

Hoping that some of you will have info or experience to share.

Thank you.

Well, I have delayed my ds 5's MMR and Varicella boosters, but that is all. Mostly it is because he had a reaction to them last time and i have just been putting off getting them again (fever and rash, nothing huge). If you are going to vaccinate, I would go ahead and get the shots. If you have decided not to vaccinate, then don't. That is a personal choice. However, if you are planning to finish the course, I would go ahead and do it sooner rather than later.

I am not "much" of a delayed vaccinator. A little bit. I have been trying to spread out shots so that they don't get 10 in one day. My 5 year old just got boosters that will cover her until she's 14 or something, so I assume those are ones that your 7 year old would need. She needed 4. With most of those covering multiple things, I thought it was too much.

What I based my decision on.

varicella is chicken pox......I delayed that one a bit for my 5 year old. It's chicken pox, for goodness sakes. None of us have any medical conditions that make it a problem. We'll get the shot eventually.

Polio...This is dangerous. BUT, there hasn't been a case of polio in the U.S. in 20 years. We delayed this one, because it can have a reaction if taken at the same time as MMR. Once I told them to skip it, they told me to wait at least a month on it (although, they didn't volunteer this information before-hand.)

MMR--We got this. She had never had a reaction

DTaP--We got this. The Diptheria and Tetanus in this one aren't to be messed with, in my humble opinion. I *think* I read that this is one that delayed vaccinators say to definitely get. Double check that.

I'm sure others will have varying opinions.

About the chicken pox vaccine...

And, if you any problems with the issues of what types of cell lines the chicken pox vaccine is taken from, you might choose to not have that one given at all. If anyone has any new info, it's welcomed, but last time I looked the chicken pox vaccine is from a human cell line. (and with all the research I could see, it's from a fetal cell line....)

• 1 year later...
Guest MurrellMom
About the chicken pox vaccine...

And, if you any problems with the issues of what types of cell lines the chicken pox vaccine is taken from, you might choose to not have that one given at all. If anyone has any new info, it's welcomed, but last time I looked the chicken pox vaccine is from a human cell line. (and with all the research I could see, it's from a fetal cell line....)

The chicken pox vaccine is a highly controversial vaccine. It all depends on your doctor and what research you read/believe. My daughter received her first chicken pox vaccine and hadn't yet had her 2nd booster. She ended up getting SHINGLES!!! Turns out, according to some of the research, that's really common. Also, some research is showing that kids are now getting chicken pox when in their 20's now since their vaccine "wears out." The problem with this is that 1.) Shingles is VERY painful - worse than chicken pox 2.) If you get chicken pox when you're in your 20's, the rate of hospitalization is many times higher due to the incidence of pneumonia occuring.

So...do your research and see what you think. There really is research on both sides of the spectrum and its hard to know what's true and not true.

I did some delayed vaccinations for my two. I am not really into vaccinating but my dh is into delayed vaccinating, so we compromised over the years by my being really, really slack about it.

I would do all the research you can so you can make a very informed decision.

I took my two kids a few years ago now for some boosters and my doctor, who herself is very careful with vaccinating and knows I am too, insisted they get a titre (sp?) to see if their bodies still had the antibodies...it turned out they did and therefore didn't need boosters at all...and we are talking about a 10 year time gap here, from 2 till about 12 years of age. So...only one shot was necessary, at age 2, to give immunity possibly for life.

Vaccination schedules are very generic- they don't take individuals into account- they are for the masses, to get the greatest number of people vaccinated to the greatest degree possible. It's all about economics and figures, not about your individual child. If my kids can need only one shot, how many others are getting two or three unecessarily?

My ds is 2.5yo and only got 2 of the Hib (supposed to get 3) because at the time there was a shortage. At the military clinic we went to, they were giving priority to children who had not had any doses of Hib. At a later check-up when asked about shots, I mentioned that he had not received the third dose. I was told that it no longer mattered. I was given the impression that it was no longer likely he would get it since he was older. Certainly check with your child's doctor, but since he is 2, he may not need this one.

The chicken pox vaccine is a highly controversial vaccine. It all depends on your doctor and what research you read/believe. My daughter received her first chicken pox vaccine and hadn't yet had her 2nd booster. She ended up getting SHINGLES!!! Turns out, according to some of the research, that's really common. Also, some research is showing that kids are now getting chicken pox when in their 20's now since their vaccine "wears out." The problem with this is that 1.) Shingles is VERY painful - worse than chicken pox 2.) If you get chicken pox when you're in your 20's, the rate of hospitalization is many times higher due to the incidence of pneumonia occuring.

So...do your research and see what you think. There really is research on both sides of the spectrum and its hard to know what's true and not true.

:iagree:I have read this as well. I also know a homeschool family who had a chicken pox party in my area. Who showed up? One of the doctors who helped developed the chicken pox vaccine with her children. :001_huh:

It is better to get chicken pox at a younger age. The older you are the more likely you are to have a bad reaction to the pox.

Also, some research is showing that kids are now getting chicken pox when in their 20's now since their vaccine "wears out."

This is what the chicken pox booster is supposed to help with. For the longest time they didn't recommend one until this problem cropped up.

This is what the chicken pox booster is supposed to help with. For the longest time they didn't recommend one until this problem cropped up.

Yes, every six years for the rest of you life, you will need to get a chicken pox booster. I remember hearing that they may change the recommendation to be once every three years.:001_huh:

It is better to get the chicken pox. IMHO

My brother was 5 and developed a staph infection from CP and was put into the hospital from other complications. He was otherwise a healthy child. I know it's rare but when the Dr. brought up the booster for my kids and mentioned complications, I remembered this time in my life. I think a 1 second stick every 3-6 years is better than staph infections!

Edited by jannylynn

My brother was 5 and developed a staph infection from CP and was put into the hospital from other complications. He was otherwise a healthy child. I know it's rare but when the Dr. brought up the booster for my kids and mentioned complications, I remembered this time in my life. I think a 1 second stick every 3-6 years is better than staph infections!

But... you can usually catch it before this. I got some meds for my son when his chx pox wasn't clearing up after a normal amount of time. I also kept him oiled up with a witches brew of neem oil, jojoba oil, olive oil, EOs, and probably some more. Although he looked so horrible that my DR made the rude comment... that it was good he was a boy... :eek: He actually healed up with no scars...

:D

Certainly talk to your doc. If you are upfront about your concerns, most peds will discuss the benefits vs risks and give you an alternative schedule.

DTaP is one I would not mess with though. Your ped should be able to tell you what goes around your area also. We have whooping cough around here every year, and a few cases of measles in a neighboring city have been reported from time to time. Hep B is another I would not mess with, but then I have a great aunt that still deals with complications from this over 15 years after it ended, and she was not in the high risk groups to get it.

The MMR booster that is supposed to be given between age 4-6 can definitely be given later. I was in college when they started giving the boosters, before that it was only one shot. So they started giving MMR even to all of the college students because they found that two doses were needed for protection.

If you are going to vaccinate anyway what would be the benefit to waiting until age 3 or 4 for your 2 year old? In that time he will just be vulnerable.

Have you seen the CDC catchup schedule? It's easy to find by googling. There are a few shots (Hib and I think Prevnar) that are no longer given at all past preschool age, and are not even required for school entry, only daycare and pre-K, because they tend not to affect older children as severely.

The MMR booster that is supposed to be given between age 4-6 can definitely be given later. I was in college when they started giving the boosters, before that it was only one shot. So they started giving MMR even to all of the college students because they found that two doses were needed for protection.

If you are going to vaccinate anyway what would be the benefit to waiting until age 3 or 4 for your 2 year old? In that time he will just be vulnerable.

Have you seen the CDC catchup schedule? It's easy to find by googling. There are a few shots (Hib and I think Prevnar) that are no longer given at all past preschool age, and are not even required for school entry, only daycare and pre-K, because they tend not to affect older children as severely.

There was also a bad batch of MMR shots in the 1970s for a few years. I had my last booster in 1976. That seems to be a key year for them not to work. My doctors tried to shoot me up after each of my deliveries.