Menu

Need clothing ideas for my mom

sixpence1978

I admit to being completely out of the loop regarding clothing.  I tend to stick with jeans/khaki and t-shirts pretty much 100% of the time.

My mom's 65th birthday is coming up.  Unfortunately, just within the past few weeks we have learned that she has ovarian cancer and has started on chemo.  She is asking for some new pants because of all the bloating issues she has been having.  She has mostly been wearing PJ and sweat pants, but would love something that would be comfortable on her abdomen without feeling so frumpy.

My first thought was for the LE Starfish pants, but a previous thread made it seem like those have gotten tighter.  Any ideas of where to look?  She isn't the type to really go for leggings and a tunic though might be converted as long as it isn't too wild and crazy.  She is your typical pear shape, about a size 14.

Thanks for any help and suggestions.

I wonder if some maternity pants would work? She could wear them with long tunics, which are in style. Maybe sew on some snaps to fold over some of the belly fabric if they're a little too loose? A few snaps, so that if the bloating gets more or less throughout the day she can tighten or loosen them.

Edited by Garga
  • Like 1

After I had emergency abdominal surgery I had to go hunting for pants that were loose enough around the waist but still looked decent.  I didn't like leggings because the waistband was at the wrong spot.  I ended up with wide legged palazzo pants with a very wide waistband - like about 10 inches wide - that came up over my belly button and thus avoided all the ouchy spots.  Sort of like maternity pants but not designed as such.  Something like this:

http://www.bodypeacebamboo.com/products/bamboo-palazzo-pants-black

Walmart has nice looking sweats with a wide comfy (not tight) waistband and straight legs, not elastic cuffs, so they look like pants. They have black, dark grey, dark blue etc. My mom loves them. They are also soft and warm. I find hers in the women’s dept on a shelf.

I wore these when I was having ovarian issues: cysts, benign tumors, and ascites; and wore them after my ovary/fallopian tube removal.

http://www.coldwatercreek.com/pants-and-shorts/wear-to-work/ponte-perfect-holly-pants/60016.html?dwvar_60016_color=203#start=5&cgid=misses-pants-wear-to-work

When I was huge with ascites pre-surgery, I wore these pants by Lucy. They are knit and very comfortable but can be dressed up or down. The are expensive but very good quality.

http://www.lucy.com/shop/bottoms/everyday-pant-214338?variationId=005

She could also do the Lands End Starfish pants but go up a size or two since they fit smaller than they used to.

Edited by trulycrabby

Thank you guys so so much.  I have tons to look through now.

Yes, her problem right now is from the ascites.  Surgery will probably be in her future.  Right now she's just trying to figure out how to dress with her uncomfortable belly plus her PICC line.  She'll probably be getting a port in at the same time as her surgery.

These suggestions are great and I can't thank you enough.

A nice addition might be a super lightweight angora shawl/throw that could be used over the shoulders or on the lap. That way, if she feels too hot or too cold, there's nothing to struggle into or out of.

ETA

When my mother was ill, she loved getting new sheet sets with coordinating bolster pillows, etc. please forgive the suggestion if your mother is more active.

Edited by Alessandra