Menu

Anyone get the letter from 'Tapestry of Grace'....

about their financial woes? They are going to start selling their material digitally.....since the printing is putting them under.

I feel really bad for them....but then again....there are so many people struggling....

I hope the best for them.....

Tammy

Looks like it will. "The immediate good news for you, our existing customer, is that going digital increases your options. Digital Edition Tapestry will cost less than the printed version, but even with all its added features, some families will simply prefer to have it in print."

I feel for them too, they put out a quality product and their service is great.

Now I'm wondering if I should order the redesigned yr. 1 so that I have it. I don't need it for another 2 yrs, but...

If you would prefer it in printed version and you have the money, I would do it now.

No! I did not get any letter! Does this mean that I will not be able to purchase my year 2 in paper form? I. do. not. like. digital. curriculum. I went to the bookshelf and cannot order the year 2 right now. It says pre-order year 2 bundle. Why is it a pre-order? Why can't I order it now? Feeling a tad bit franti-maniacal! :lol:

I'm actually excited about this. I think it would be great to offer it digitally and with regards to resale - if it's half the price then maybe we wouldn't need to be worried about reselling.

That would be wonderful for me. I would actually be able to afford TOG if something like this was to happen.

Jan

Why is it a pre-order? Why can't I order it now? Feeling a tad bit franti-maniacal! :lol:

I think that it's a pre-order because they need a minimum number of orders before they'll send it to the printer.

This next part is just a general reply to the thread, not to Melissa in particular:

I am excited about this. Although I love the smell and feel and look of professionally printed papers to put in my binder, I love the flexibility of having it in a digital format. I really think that this is the wave of the future. It's much more earth friendly, and I hate it that the Reading Assignment pages aren't on the Loom.

Dear friends,

Im sure that you, just like the rest of the nation, have read about the financial crises that began to unfold on Wall Street a few weeks ago. The prediction was that this devastation would trickle down to Americans across the country as capital assets began to lose their value, and mortgages were in jeopardy. Unfortunately, Lampstand Press is experiencing in real time what you are hearing in newscasts.

For some time we have known that we would need some additional investment to finish what weve started, and were very grateful to have had an investor who was willing to provide what we expected to need. Unfortunately, just as we were about to receive this vital investment, Wall Streets woes made it impossible for our investor to follow through, leaving us trying to another source of funds at a particularly bad time. Credit, investors, and capital have become impossible for us to find.

Things have looked rather bleak at Lampstand Press and we actually began making plans to shut down, even as we prayed for other options. Over the years weve received many calls and emails from people who tell us that Tapestry of Grace has borne fruit in the lives of their families and that homeschools have been revolutionized. After much prayer and counsel, we feel that our current experience is best expressed by these verses in John: Jesus said, "I am the true vine, and my Father is the vinedresser. Every branch in me that does not bear fruit he takes away, and every branch that does bear fruit he prunes, that it may bear more fruit." (John 15:1-2) We believe that God is pruning Tapestry, not cutting it off altogether.

If we are right, it means there has to be some way to keep providing you with this God-honoring homeschooling curriculum. Over the last month, we've seriously considered a long list of increasingly radical options, including moving our whole operation to an economically depressed area so that we could qualify for targeted investment money. We've put everything on the table, but God has not provided any outside source of financial supply as of today. After ruling out every other alternative, we've come to the conclusion that the only way to complete the Redesign project is make a fundamental change to the way we produce Tapestry year-plans.

The problem we face is very simple--we don't currently have the kind of capital we need to continue business as usual. Our business has always been seasonal, and thus it involves carrying inventory and fronting printing costs through the winter, when, of course, very few people are buying curriculum. Also, we have struggled to keep up with the up-front costs of printing. Each time our sales go up (and they keep going up) we sell out of our existing supply of Tapestry, which means we have to find the funds to reprint thousands more copies in order to supply even one more order. We are ready, willing, and able to keep redesigning Tapestry, but we just don't have the capital we need to print thousands of volumes a year in advance and warehouse them until the orders come in, nor to keep open a bookstore that stocks every resource book that we recommend.

The solution to the problem that seems to have emerged is equally simplestop delivering Tapestry through printing presses. This letter is to inform you that we are exploring a shift from printing year-plans to electronic delivery. If it succeeds, with God's help, we would be able to redesign Tapestry of Grace Year 4 on the same basic schedule as the previous three years. The only difference is that it will only be available digitally. While for some people this may at first seem like a real inconvenience and an added cost because you anticipate printing the entire year-plan at home, please consider that printing really unnecessary in order to use all of the content that you are used to receiving in print. The typical user mom reads Tapestry background materials from the printed manual, and then prints out only the worksheets or maps that she needs for her specific students from the Loom disc. Delivering Tapestry on disc instead of in print is really only a small change for most users. Change is often disheartening at first, but please consider this: there are many clear advantages to a digital version of Tapestry of Grace. A few of these include:

All of Tapestry becomes searchable, constituting an instant index feature.

Tapestry becomes highly portable: just take your laptop and disc wherever youre traveling! No more bulky manuals to lug around.

Tapestry volumes on disc take up a tiny fraction of the space that printed manuals do in your home.

The Loom files and the year-plan PDFs will all be on one easy-to-use disc.

We will be able to offer Tapestry at a lower coast to all customers. This makes us dance and sing, because it has been the increases in printing costs and overhead that has partially been to blame for our price hikes in recent years.

Shipping costs will also be much reduced for you and for us. Indeed, for those who buy via a new download system that we envision in the future, there will be no wait or cost involved. Shipping issues and expenses will be eliminated altogether.

You will now be able to print out all the Reading Assignment Charts that you wish to! This has been an often-expressed desire, which we can now satisfy. J

It will be much easier to keep book lists and assignments current. Indeed, one exciting option with a digital delivery system is the opportunity for us to support Tapestry for years to come in an easy and straightforward manner by creating interactive, Internet-based Reading Assignment pages (like the PDFs on the online Loom) that receive digital updates automatically at the click of a mouse via the Internet.

Electronically delivered Tapestry pages will be immune to damage, and wont need page protectors :). Also, if you lose any part of your manual, youll be able to just print out a replacement copy for yourself!

If you have PDF writer software installed on your computer, you can easily add digital notes and/or highlighting to your electronic version, just as you do in your printed version, but your Tapestry original files will truly remain pristine in all circumstances. Flexibility is still our middle name, however, and if you wish to print Teachers Notes or any other pages of your week-plan, you will be able to do so (without a PDF writer), and mark them up with your own notes, creating your own customized teaching notebook.

In the future, we conceive of re-mastering Tapestry so that customers can buy it for specific learning levels. So, for young families, we anticipate selling at a reduced cost the Tapestry materials one needs for just the early years, and then giving parents the flexibility to add in Tapestry materials for older students in later years. This will lower the entry price point, giving moms of younger students only what they need to complete Tapestry studies in the grammar stages with the ability to add upper level materials in later phases of their homeschools. Thus, digital Tapestry can grow with the family, and expenses can be spread out over the years, instead of needing to be a one-time, up front purchase that then lasts for years.

When available, and again, in the future, we will be able to interlink Tapestry sections with our other supplementary products. So, we envision that you will be able, from the week-plan, to click on, view, and/or print associated maps, evaluations, writing helps, etc. that relate to the material in each week-plan.

Also, we will be able to link to online resources, like Project Gutenberg free copies of literary and primary source works, core books that are free online, etc. In looking at the landscape of publishing, we see that more and more books are becoming digitally available at very inexpensive prices. While we bemoan the passing of printed books, the new world with which we are all confronted may soon make these as much of a luxury as hand-written manuscripts became as the printing press came into use in the 1400s. As far as we are concerned, our preference will always be for printed books, but there is no denying that an optional for digital resources will make Tapestry more affordable, portable, and available to a greater number of homeschoolers as time goes on.

(part 2 coming up)

Follow this link (http://tapestryofgrace.com/digital/) to see the format that we are immediately able to deliver for completed units of Tapestry (Years 1 and 2, and the first two units of Year 3). If we receive adequate encouraging feedback, a workable copyright agreement from World Book, and new financing for the move to fully implement our vision for digital Tapestry, we anticipate the ability to eventually develop all the above enhancements and more!

The immediate good news for you, our existing customer, is that going digital increases your options. Digital Edition Tapestry will cost less than the printed version, but even with all its added features, some families will simply prefer to have it in print. For such existing customers, we do still have a limited number of printed year-plans and individual units in stock. In the weeks ahead, those of you who act right away will get to choose the form of Tapestry that is best for your homeschooling years to come.

We must raise much needed immediate funds and test the viability of a change to digital delivery systems for Tapestry. We also want to serve you, our valued existing customers, with enough forward notice for you to make an informed decision. In order to accomplish these ends we are making the following special, limited time offers.

Note: there are two different types of sales detailed below. The first one, our Overstock Sale, has already been announced and runs through November 15th while supplies last. The second saleof Year 2 and Year 3 pre-ordersis new and ongoing.

OVERSTOCK SALE ITEMS:

A limited number of Year 1 Redesigned Bonus Bundles (normally $295) for just $225. The supply is very limited for these, and orders will be filled on a first-come, first served basis. We reserve the right to discontinue this offer when our limited stock is sold out.

A limited number of Year 1 complete (all four units) is also on sale: normally $225, we are offering these at $180, with the same reservations of first come first served as with Bonus Bundles above.

All resource books for Unit 1 for Years 1, 2, and 3 (excluding multi-year or multi-unit books) currently in stock are now on sale for a flat 25% off the retail price. This is an overstock sale, and again, quantities are limited and no backorders will be accepted for this sale.

For all of the above purchases, we have excluded the use of gift certificates. If you wish to secure your printed copy of Tapestry Year 1 Redesigned (or Year 1 Bonus Bundle) or Unit 1 resource books from the Bookshelf using a gift certificate that you currently have, you will need to call Lampstand Press and do so over the phone. Please be advised that prices against which your certificate will be valued will be retail prices, not sale ones.

For all of the above sale items, we have excluded the use of Share & Save gift certificates. If you wish to use your gift certificate to purchase any of the above products at full non-sale price, you will need to call Lampstand Press and do so over the phone.

YEARS 2 AND 3 SALE ITEMSPREORDERING ONLY WITH DELAYED SHIPMENT

The global credit problems and our subsequent lack of investor capital have made it impossible for us to print Units 3 and 4 of Redesigned Year 2 (second printing) and Units 3 and 4 of Year 3 Redesigned in a timely fashion without taking new orders. We are therefore offering digital copies of these four units to those customers who have backorders already placed with us. If you are currently waiting on Units 3 and 4 of Years 2 (second printing) and Year 3, you should be receiving a separate email that informs you of our plan to send you free digital copies of Units 3 and 4 in lieu of your printed one, while we gather enough orders to make one last print run of these units.

Here is our offer to customers who wish to place new orders and so obtain a paper copy of either Year 2 (second printing and now completely redesigned, but not yet printed) or Year 3 (first printing: currently completely redesigned through Unit 3, with a planned completion/print date after February 1, 2009). For both of these year-plans, we currently have Units 1 and 2 in print, however, we will ship complete plans after Units 3 and 4 return from the printer.

We cannot promise that these print runs will happen unless we reach a threshold of 450 new orders. (However, given our normal sales numbers, this is not a high threshold to reach under normal circumstances.) Our plan is simple: you can reserve your copy of either Year 2 or Year 3 (complete year-plans only; no individual units) at the sale price of $200 per individual plan (normally $225) using a credit card under the following terms and conditions:

Your credit card WILL NOT BE CHARGED until a total of 450 pre-orders are collected. At that time, we will discontinue this offer.

You will be notified (via the email address that you give us) when we have achieved this order threshold and given one working week to cancel your order. There will be a $25 cancellation fee for each cancelled order. If we do not receive a cancellation from you, we will finalize your order by charging your card.

If the threshold remains at 450 orders within two weeks of the end of the cancellation period, we will charge all 450 cards and send the year-plan(s) to the printer. Printing takes 3 to 5 weeks, depending on how busy the printer is.

Year 2, Second Printing, is now completely redesigned, and will go to the printer as soon as the 450 orders are gathered.

Year 3 is being redesigned and edited. Unit 3 will be ready to print in two weeks; Unit 4 should be ready for press in late January, and possibly sooner. To save costs in both printing and shipping, we will send them to the printer together.

Again, all these quantities, especially at these prices, are strictly limited to 450 orders. In the future, we may be able to use this form of pre-ordering to produce more printed Tapestry volumes, but we anticipate that it is much more likely that these are the last print runs of Tapestry that we will be making, so if you wish to use Tapestry in print form, please place your order as soon as possible.

We are not at this time marketing digital Tapestry to the general public. We must do more research into costs, finish the process of gaining a written digital copyright agreement with World Book, and must install new software ordering systems in order to do so. However, as mentioned above, we plan to send prototypes of the first iteration of digital edition Tapestry to those Year 2 and Year 3 customers who lack promised printed units as soon as they are ready, per the email they will receive separately.

We are grateful to you, our beloved homeschool family, for the trust you've placed in us in the past and the support you've shown us through prayer and through emails as we have all enjoyed the amazing fruits of Tapestry of Grace. In the troubling times in which we live, we count on the grace of God now more than ever, and need your patience and partnership so that we can continue to provide the curriculum that we find so satisfying to Christian homeschool families in the future. Please continue to pray for us as we work as hard as we can to continue to produce Tapestry of Grace.

With appreciation and fondness,

Marcia Somerville

President

Lampstand Press, Ltd.

I am hoping they offer a discount on the digital to folks who already own the redesign (like how they offered the redesign at a special price for classic users). We travel quite a bit, and let me tell you, lugging my page protector-ed 5 inch notebook unit across the country was a pain!

I do like the printed version though, and am considering pre-ordering Year 3. I am thinking Year 3 on the re-sale market will be scarce as hen's teeth. I am also worried that the plans for digital will fall through and I won't get Yrs. 3 and 4 at all :(. What do you think is the likelihood of them continuing?

Then I remind myself.... it's only curriculum! :D

I am also worried that the plans for digital will fall through and I won't get Yrs. 3 and 4 at all :(. What do you think is the likelihood of them continuing?

Then I remind myself.... it's only curriculum! :D

I think they are extremely committed to seeing the Redesign through to the end. I know they are doing everything possible to make this happen.

Does this mean that they will never have redesigned Year 4 available as a hard copy? Still confused.

I had just ordered Year 1 redesigned from the overstock sale when this note came out. I could pre-order, but would I still be able to get map aids, lapbooking kits, evaluations, pop quizzes, and books for these years? If you buy Year 2 or 3 as a pre-order for the $200.00, will you still be able to get map aids, lapbooking, etc. later on (that will match the redesigned)?

Anyone have any idea?

Thanks!

Brenda

Does this mean that they will never have redesigned Year 4 available as a hard copy? Still confused.

I'm not sure about that, but I tend to doubt it will be availabe in printed version for at least the next year or so. It's not like you couldn't print it yourself from your digital copy though if you wanted it in print version.

I had just ordered Year 1 redesigned from the overstock sale when this note came out. I could pre-order, but would I still be able to get map aids, lapbooking kits, evaluations, pop quizzes, and books for these years? If you buy Year 2 or 3 as a pre-order for the $200.00, will you still be able to get map aids, lapbooking, etc. later on (that will match the redesigned)?

I haven't heard them mention any of the mapaids, etc, so I don't think those are the main issue. I think it's the high cost of printing that is hurting them right now. My guess is that all the "extras" will still be available. Some of them, like the MapAids and Evaluations may also go digital (that's how they do it for the ones in the yearplan that they are currently redesigning.) All the products that they have done online/digitally in the past have been put on CD when that part of the redesign was completed.

Thanks, Shellie! You have always been my TOG voice of reason! :D

LOL! I have known Marcia for quite a while and she is one of the most honorable women I have ever known. I don't think that they would be considering going digital if they didn't have reason to expect to be able to complete Year 4. I know they've been in deep prayer about this, as their collective heart there at TOG is to serve us homeschooling moms to the utmost best of their abilities. And my own thought is that because they are so close to the end of completing Year 3 and then there is only 1 more yearplan to complete, they will give their all to see it through.

I think I might like having a digital copy, however, thr price would have to be dramatically reduced to offest the printing I would have to do.

I know that I myself prefer a printed copy, but if I had my own disk and could go back and reprint pages that got messed up or lost (I actually do need to replace a couple for these reasons), I'd be delighted!! It kind of sounds like the best of both worlds once you really sit down and think it through. It's just scary at the onset because it's new and different than what we are used to.

We are not at this time marketing digital Tapestry to the general public.

This letter was meant for current TOG users and wasn't supposed to be released publicly, if it was meant for public consumption it would have been published at the website.

There is the TOG forums to discuss these things at, not here where there no answers and only speculation.

This letter was meant for current TOG users and wasn't supposed to be released publicly, if it was meant for public consumption it would have been published at the website.

There is the TOG forums to discuss these things at, not here where there no answers and only speculation.

Thanks Jessica. I'd like to see speculation minimized here too. I know that the folks at TOG are truly interested in serving us well and they are working diligently to that end. I know that they will be more than willing to answer all our questions, but we probably need to be patient in getting all the answers.

about their financial woes? They are going to start selling their material digitally.....since the printing is putting them under.

I feel really bad for them....but then again....there are so many people struggling....

I hope the best for them.....

Tammy

Lucky for me I own all 4 years so it really isn't a big deal to me. Nor am I surprised. I realized a long time ago that the margins in hsing were tight and it would only take a down turn to make the market more challenging. SL has even floated the idea of a digital product on their forums, so TOG might not be the only one's.

Praying...

Heather

Not sure what to do...

I have over $200 in Share and Save money, but I am not allowed to use it with the Year 2 and/or Year 3 pre-sale ( I just tried to buy them). At least I tried to redeem them and it's not letting me. My understanding was that you could not use share and save with the Year 1 bundle, and year 1 and 2 books mega sale. It did not specify the Year 2 and 3 bundles.

I was thinking I could go ahead and buy both years and just save my certificates and use them towards the purchase of books later down the line...but who's to say TOG will be in business then!? I'm not sure what to do... Consider the share and save money a complete wash?

The digital link was nice, but I know myself sooooooo well and I will not like using a digital version. I would prefer to buy the year 2 and 3 now in paper-form while there is still an option to do so, but give up over $200 in gift certificates? Hmmm....

what to do, what to do.

Not sure what to do...

I have over $200 in Share and Save money, but I am not allowed to use it with the Year 2 and/or Year 3 pre-sale ( I just tried to buy them). At least I tried to redeem them and it's not letting me. My understanding was that you could not use share and save with the Year 1 bundle, and year 1 and 2 books mega sale. It did not specify the Year 2 and 3 bundles.

I was thinking I could go ahead and buy both years and just save my certificates and use them towards the purchase of books later down the line...but who's to say TOG will be in business then!? I'm not sure what to do... Consider the share and save money a complete wash?

The digital link was nice, but I know myself sooooooo well and I will not like using a digital version. I would prefer to buy the year 2 and 3 now in paper-form while there is still an option to do so, but give up over $200 in gift certificates? Hmmm....

what to do, what to do.

Hi Melissa,

If you want to use your S&S money, you have to call and place an order over the phone. You would get a non-sale price, but you would get to use your S&S money that way. That's what it said in the email.

You're right Jessica. I always forget that there is the TOG forum.

Not sure what to do...

what to do, what to do.

I have quite a bit of money in S&S credit too.

I am going to pray about "donating" it back to Lampstand. It wasn't money that I earned, rather money that they were giving to me as a gift. I'd love to use it to buy things from them, but I'd also like to see them stay in business. I'll bet they'd be really blessed if a lot of us were willing to forego our certificates, but I don't think they'd ever ask because they promised us that we could still have them, you know?

Melissa,

I suspect they are getting a lot of calls from people like you who want to place order with their SS money.

Also consider that you should be able to take it down to your local printer and have it printed out. Not that it will be a cheap proposition, but you should be able to.

Heather

Hi Melissa,

If you want to use your S&S money, you have to call and place an order over the phone. You would get a non-sale price, but you would get to use your S&S money that way. That's what it said in the email.

Thanks Shellie! I missed seeing that in the email...that's what I get for speed reading through it. Sorry!

I can say hat i have pondered using TOG for some stuff - and i'd buy a digital format in a heartbeat!

I'm happy to hear they have found a way to continue - and would love to support them in that endeavor!

:iagree:

I understand that the letter was supposed to go to only current TOG customers, but I am glad that someone posted it here. I would love to let TOG know that I would buy a digital format.

Jan

I understand that the letter was supposed to go to only current TOG customers, but I am glad that someone posted it here. I would love to let TOG know that I would buy a digital format.

Jan

If you would like to email them and tell them of their support, you could use this email addy:

suggestions@tapestryofgrace.com

I'm sure that in the next few days their inbox will be overflowing, so I personally wouldn't expect an answer back quickly, but I think it would encourage them to hear of your support for them. And, I know they would certainly appreciate all the prayers that you could offer up for them at this time! :)

I have quite a bit of money in S&S credit too.

I am going to pray about "donating" it back to Lampstand. It wasn't money that I earned, rather money that they were giving to me as a gift. I'd love to use it to buy things from them, but I'd also like to see them stay in business. I'll bet they'd be really blessed if a lot of us were willing to forego our certificates, but I don't think they'd ever ask because they promised us that we could still have them, you know?

That is a great idea Anj! I was feeling a tad guilty for using it when they are hurting so badly. My conscience was speaking and I was not listening! Besides, you're so right! It's not like I earned that money...sheesh!...it was a gift from them to me. Gifting it back to them would be the right thing to do. Thanks for the clarity!! I will go ahead and order my year plan and not worry about the GC's.

Any ideas on how to let them know I want to "gift" the certificates back to them?? I would love to bless them that way. Though its not actually usable money...just money they won't be losing. I suppose ordering my year plan(s) will help though.

Also consider that you should be able to take it down to your local printer and have it printed out. Not that it will be a cheap proposition, but you should be able to.

I'm initially thinking that's what I'll do with Y4 next year. I really like having those pages in hand and my own printer prints things off-kilter. I would rather spend the extra money to have it printed nicely than to do it myself and be frustrated with my own printer's results. And you're right, the lower price of the digital version would definitely help offset my own personal printing costs. I do also like the option of having it all on disk so that if something happens to some of my pages, I can have them reprinted.

If you would like to email them and tell them of their support, you could use this email addy:

suggestions@tapestryofgrace.com

I'm sure that in the next few days their inbox will be overflowing, so I personally wouldn't expect an answer back quickly, but I think it would encourage them to hear of your support for them. And, I know they would certainly appreciate all the prayers that you could offer up for them at this time! :)

I didn't use that addy - i found one for customer service, but i did just drop them a line letting them know that i was EXCITED at this prospect.

Really i am. I would be be able to buy it - use what i decide to, not have a ton more paper to store and gee, i'm just really excited :D I haven't 100% decided to NOT use it for High School, but with a digital delivery and less paper to store - i could pick and choose parts to mesh with some other stuff.

Yup, works for me!

I didn't use that addy - i found one for customer service, but i did just drop them a line letting them know that i was EXCITED at this prospect.

The one I posted is at the top of their forum website. Here is their customer service addy (although I'm sure they're hopping busy now.)

custserv@lampstandpress.com

I'm sure that they would be so encouraged to hear of your excitement!

Jan

I agree, Jan. I'm glad it was posted.

I can't imagine that with all those customers that they had any notion such an email would remain out of the public eye.

i am really grateful that they are doing all they can to finish their redesign and make this curriculum available to us. i really love TOG. if i had to switch to another curriculum i would go through a considerable period of mourning!

we are just wrapping up year 1 redesign. i've been ordering by the unit. i guess i should go ahead and pre-order year 2 redesign so that i can be sure i have a year's worth of tapestry to fall back on. certainly by the time we finish with the printed version of year 2, year 3 redesign will be available in digital format... :confused:

Jan

This letter is available from the front page of their website. They may have sent it out to existing customers a bit in advance, but it is publicly available now.