Menu

What's with the ads?

SparklyUnicorn

would there be any point in

DS taking a stat course?  I think it's a 147 course. 

He doesn't want to take the next math courses next semester because he heard lousy things about the teacher (he is taking Calc 2 now).  So he might take computer programming.  But then he discovered that his current instructor teaches stats.  He loves her and now wants to take her class.  I think it's kind of a waste, but I'm not dead against it either.  I do think it's rather cool he likes her so much.

Why would it be a waste??? Stats is very useful.

In many fields, it may be more useful than calculus.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 8

We are actually doing that next semester and postponing calculus until the fall due to professor issues.  I think statistics is very important and is a valuable class.  

ETA  - even better if you know the professor is good!  

Edited by Kassia
  • Like 3

My husband, the math major - and major math lover, just said the other day, "everyone needs a good Stats course." 

I never took a good one or a bad one. 

Edited by lmrich
  • Like 3

Why would it be a waste??? Stats is very useful.

In many fields, it may be more useful than calculus.

AGREED!  I recommend stats often.  IRL (not just college majors) it's far more useful than Calc.  One might not have to calculate stats often IRL, but understanding it all - the populations, standard deviations, biases, skews, pros & cons, and more sheds a ton of light on many "studies" and "facts" that are presented.

If you have a good teacher, that's an added bonus.

• Like 3

Stats would be my number 1 choice for "everyone should take it". Frankly it would be my top choice for a college quantitative literacy class as well.

• Like 4

I like stats.  Not dissing stats.  Just comparing what we are doing now to the stats class I took...he might fall asleep.  LOL  But he does like the teacher and I agree there are some good concepts to be learned.

And I already have the book! 

• Like 1

Since he will already have had calc 1 and 2, he may be eligible to take a calc-based stats course, which may be much more interesting than a non-calc-based one.  (With a little luck, maybe that's what this teacher is teaching?)

• Like 1

I thought he was going to be a math major, or am I thinking of someone else? 

Math majors (and minors) will be taking stats of some kind at every school, I imagine. dd is a business major and a math minor, she is taking calc based stats and they will let it substitute for business stats (same for calculus). 

And, I am completely in favor of students taking classes with professors they love! That's never a waste, imo. 

• Like 3

I like stats.  Not dissing stats.  Just comparing what we are doing now to the stats class I took...he might fall asleep.  LOL  

I agree that this is a real possibility, and I would suggest that he talks to the professor about it. It really depends on how much he already knows about stats, what the other students are like, and whether there's a better stats class he could take now or in the future (e.g. if he majors in STEM, this class likely won't count towards his degree (other than as general elective credit, which he may or may not have space for anyway), and he would likely need to take some sort of upper division stats class, so, it would quite possibly be a waste of time/money). 

And I agree that stats and probability is important. I just don't know if this class would be a good fit... but I don't know much about your son (nor this specific class... just about the 1000 level stats class I took in college).