Menu

Inexpensive Christmas ideas

Turning my thoughts to Christmas I know this will be a really tight year. I need ideas for inexpensive Christmas presents for my children. Yet, I don't want to just buy stuff that will wind up in the dumpster in a bit. What are your ideas? Things I can make? Do? Any ideas would be appreciated. :)

How about giving them tools to start a hobby?

Whittling, knitting, crocheting, paper dolls, etc.

Obviously, choose something that fits their interests and personality.

One of my sons got a gameboy and a book on making paper airplanes the same yr, and the paper airplane book was his favorite and most used.

Go figure, we didn't even think he would like it~

Last year, 8 and 10yo sons got a small swiss amy knife, and they whittle every stick they can get their hands on!

We have an entire arsenal in our back yard that they have carved.

And only one small nick, no missing fingers. :D

One idea given here last year that was a HIT at my house was cereal.

I don't buy cereal because it is too expensive. I bought the generic brands of Lucky Charms, Cap's Crunch, and Fruit Loops, wrapped them, and gave the boxes to them Christmas morning. The kids LOVED it!

We spent about $25 per child last year and will do the same this year. It really isn't hard for us, but my dc (a) aren't as "into" popular things (the boys always ask for tools, trucks, or construction equipment) and (b) they do get things from extended family. For example, Lowes had tool sets for about $10 last Christmas that were cheap tools, but great for a 5 and 6 year old.

My 10yo is looking for a used mini-bike to buy and fix up for his brothers. He is working here and there to earn money to buy this himself.

My mom shared with me that she had stilts (made by her fav uncle) that she loved.

I googled and found a few how to build stilts websites. So if my dh can find the time, I hope he gets them made.

I think a swiss army knife is a great gift for a 12 yo. I have a child that like gadgets, so the most gadgets on his knife --- the better. The Dangerous Book for Boys or The Book of Boy Stuff are great full of interesting stuff.

For the girls, perhaps a Knifty Knitter and some yarn? Or a cake decorating beginner's kit along with some cake mixes and frosting? My grandma gave me a nice stationary set complete with waxing seals and I treasured it.

I saw portable CD players (walkman like) for $10.

Seems like $50 is a lot if you avoid middle to high-end electronics.

Guest Virginia Dawn

I made flannel sleep pants with matching pillow cases for all my dc last year. I bough the flannel at a 50% sale.

I also made fleece robes for the two older boys.

Cook books, aprons, etc. Paint by numbers sets. Cool mittens and/or hats. There are a variety of Klutz how to book from hair braiding to bracelet making. Hookrug kits. Journal books/fun pens.

My 12yr would really like the paper airplane klutz book. Rockets are fairly inexpensive if you have a large field to shoot them off in. Swiss army knife as someone mentioned. My dh found some little r/c cars for the boys one year that they played with a lot.

The Klutz books look like a LOT of fun. There's almost always a 50% off coupon in the Michael's flyer if there's one near you. That brings them down to a reasonable price.

For your girls, I saw the cutest idea. For just a little gift, get a pair of gloves and some hand lotion, nail polish, nail file, etc. to put inside the gloves. You could do the same with some fun, funky socks and pedicure supplies. I know my girls would love it if I bought them their own foot bath thing to go with that idea, even if they had to share.

For your 5 yo I saw the cutest little aprons with slots sewn on the front to hold crayons/markers. Here's a link. That with some fun new coloring books would be a hit around here.

Edited by TXMomof4

With $50 per child, you might consider hitting the Apple store and looking at the refurbished ipod shuffles or at some other inexpensive MP3 player. The 1GB ones can be had for $39, and are like new. We just got a refurbished pink Nano for our 8 yo daughter as her Yule gift. It's the previous generation, but it will make her quite happy. She's been very responsible with the old small irivers that we had over this past year and likes listening to music and audiobooks on them. I know some libraries have audiobooks you can download to an mp3 player. If you do this, consider the clear hardshell Belkin cases for them. They are less expensive than the ones Apple has and do a great job of protecting the player. My husband has had one for close to a year for his ipod and while the case is quite scratched the player is pristine. I believe he got his at Best Buy.

Another option might be an inexpensive digital camera. She got one of those for Yule last year and has enjoyed it. The one we picked was a bit over that price range, but I am sure there are some options within it.

If any of them like crafts, you could assemble boxes of craft supplies. Board games to share? My mother in law is getting my horse mad daughter Herd Your Horses this year.

My daughter also loves the Highlights and Puzzlemania magazines. Her grandmother gave her a subscription to them, but we also regularly see them like new in the magazine bin at the thrift store or library book sale table. She likes picking up the older ones there, for 10 cents to a quarter each. There are also other magazines for different ages. Perhaps you could keep an eye out for some of these to put together?

Nick's Mama-Zack's Mama Too 'My mom shared with me that she had stilts (made by her fav uncle) that she loved.

I googled and found a few how to build stilts websites. So if my dh can find the time, I hope he gets them made.'

We made stilts one year and they were, and still are a great hit four years on. We used a simple pattern from a book called 'One to One' by Gareth Lewis (which we already owned).

A lucet or knitting fork is a great gift (only usually a few dollars). It is a traditional way of weaving from the Viking age. It is easy to use and makes great necklaces, laces for shoes, rope for games.

Paper dolls printed from the computer for girls (actually our son loves the boy dolls too) and put into a pretty box.

http://www.paperdolls.com/pages/pdgallry.htm

Make a puppet theatre from MDF. Three pieces screwed onto 2 by 4 at the corners and with a two by four at the remaining side with a curtain. The front piece with a window cut out as a stage. It doubles up as a den or shop too. It makes a great sharing present. We used left over blackboard paint to have a space to write what show is be enacted.

Home-made dressing-up costumes.

I agree with craft things. How about a new set of coloured pencils they could do with?

Origami paper. Here is a great site for ideas for things they can do with it:

http://www.origami-club.com/en/

More paper toys you could print out for them and put into a nice folder or box:

http://www.vam.ac.uk/moc/kids/things_to_make/index.html

http://www.thetoymaker.com/2Toys.html

Doctor's set:

Put some first aid bandages, cotton balls, old tweezers etc and some home made 'prescriptions' and perhaps a printed out eye-chart into an old black handbag or plastic box as a doctors bag. You bound to have lots of medically looking things around the house that will fit the bill.

Home-made tape of you reading stories.

Second-hand books and toys. Children rarely know the difference as long as it is something they like.

I also agree with sweets that they wouldn't usually have.

I shall put my thinking cap on for more...:001_smile:

Edited by Lorna

Your younger kids might be a little young to go for this, but I have a friend who turned things around this year. She and dh proposed to the kids that since times are tough and so many people are in need, they give gifts to a needy family instead of receiving gifts. Their kids went for it, but their youngest is 8. If you could pull that off, it would be a wonderful learning experience for the kids, plus you could easily stay within the $50 budget.

Good luck.

BTW, in our house, we have agreed to receive just one gift. We have not suffered a layoff or foreclosure like so many families, but in this climate, I cannot fathom the idea of my kids getting mountains of gifts while so many suffer. Perhaps a really cool video game for each child. They will love it and we can promote moderation.

We are lucky because 3 of our dc are still too young to care what they get! I bought all of the baby's presents at a yard sale. I will spend less than $10 each on the twins. Probably about $20 on the 5 yo. I would like to spend $50 on the girls each to get them exactly what they would like. And then I guess another $50 on the oldest. Averaging that works out to just under $30 per child. That doesn't include their stockings, but I will keep that cheap - usually dollar store stuff or things I have collected free throughout the year.

Drama Queen, every Christmas St. Nick fills up paper cones with some crazy kind of cereal that is all sugar that Mom would never buy! The cones are on the tree when the dc get up, then they eat the cereal for bf Christmas morning. They love it!

Don't know if this would fly with your young ones, but here goes.

Scour appliance stores for empty boxes of varying sizes. Get lots of duct tape in several colors. Give them some space and don't require it to get cleaned up for a long time! :001_smile:

There are also a few good books about projects you can make with duct tape.

All of these have been hits at our house.

Wendy

Just asked my brood for their favorite Christmas presents. Turned out to be the year I bought sleds and skates at yard sales during the summer!

I wanted to ask about the year we got a gift for two American Girl dolls? They also said the year we got a computer was good. I am surprised because Dad was so paranoid for the first six months they only got to practice typing!

Don't worry and enjoy the fun and they will have great memories. Last year I bought second hand books and some series books like all the Roald Dahl and they read the second hand ones first.

Personally , I want to try the stilts. My daughter wants her own sewing or knitting bag with stuff inside it already , she is 11.

We always do junk food cereal:lol: for Christmas. One year my mother sent us money for Christmas dinner but the children were too small to get excited over turkey and stuffing so I bought cereal with it as well. I thought I had the only children who used to embarass me in the cereal aisle, gazing longinly at a box of Cocoa Pops, " I hope I get this for Christmas." I was surprised I didn't get handed donations. One woman had tears in her eyes witnessing my drama queen.:nopity::nopity::nopity:

We always do junk food cereal:lol: for Christmas. One year my mother sent us money for Christmas dinner but the children were too small to get excited over turkey and stuffing so I bought cereal with it as well. I thought I had the only children who used to embarass me in the cereal aisle, gazing longinly at a box of Cocoa Pops, " I hope I get this for Christmas." I was surprised I didn't get handed donations. One woman had tears in her eyes witnessing my drama queen.:nopity::nopity::nopity:

:lol::lol::lol:

K

How about building them a medieval castle out of boxes. Here's a website that has great directions!

http://www.squidoo.com/cardboard_castle

You could then maybe make them a couple of costume, get them some paint and let them decorate it! You could also get a few craft supplies and let them make banners, cool hats, etc.

You could maybe find some used books on tape for that time period.

Melissa

• 1 year later...
How about building them a medieval castle out of boxes. Here's a website that has great directions!

http://www.squidoo.com/cardboard_castle

You could then maybe make them a couple of costume, get them some paint and let them decorate it! You could also get a few craft supplies and let them make banners, cool hats, etc.

You could maybe find some used books on tape for that time period.

Melissa

Ummm...that might be the most fabulous gift I ever heard of! Wow!!!!!

I have made a box castle for my ds's "Knight" birthday party. The kids loved it.

My kids always get a giant sized favorite food - HUGE bottle of Ketchup or jar of garlic stuffed olives.

Your little girls might like a bin filled with dollar-store bought stuff like stationery, envelopes, scotch tape, stickers, order forms and receipt pads, signs that say "Open" and "Closed". Maybe set up an area that can be a store.

Don't know if this would fly with your young ones, but here goes.

Scour appliance stores for empty boxes of varying sizes. Get lots of duct tape in several colors. Give them some space and don't require it to get cleaned up for a long time! :001_smile:

There are also a few good books about projects you can make with duct tape.

All of these have been hits at our house.

Wendy

And sheets. Don't forget the sheets! :lol: