Menu

Osteopenia

TCB

Just got the results of my bone density scan today and the nurse said I fall in the osteopenia range. I called them back to find out the actual number but haven't heard back yet. 

The nurse said I should take Calcium 600mg twice a day and Vit D 1200 iu daily.

What can you tell me about supplements for this? I have some D3 drops which contain 2000 iu per drop. I read that people who take PPIs or have low stomach acid should take Calcium Citrate.

By the way I'm 53 and have been menopausal for about 6-7 years.

• Like 2

My mom has had osteopenia for over 20 years. Vitamin D3 and calcium and other minerals. She's taken all the various prescriptions at one time or another. She swears by Reclast (sp?) and weight bearing exercise. She walks miles daily plus does aerobic dance (low impact) two or three times per week. She eats yogurt for breakfast almost every morning. She's in her mid 70's and it still not osteoporosis. Knock wood.

• Like 2

My mom has had osteopenia for over 20 years. Vitamin D3 and calcium and other minerals. She's taken all the various prescriptions at one time or another. She swears by Reclast (sp?) and weight bearing exercise. She walks miles daily plus does aerobic dance (low impact) two or three times per week. She eats yogurt for breakfast almost every morning. She's in her mid 70's and it still not osteoporosis. Knock wood.

That's encouraging to hear! I got my numbers back and my femur neck was T -1.2 and lumbar spine -1.4

The dr hasn't recommended prescription meds just supplements of calcium and vit D

I was diagnosed in my twenties and was on a prescription, started weights and upped my calcium intake. I got the numbers back in normal range in a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can I ask you what calcium and what amount?  I have a feeling I'll be diagnosed as Osteopenia one of these days soon, as it seems to run in my family.

• Like 1

I was diagnosed in my twenties and was on a prescription, started weights and upped my calcium intake. I got the numbers back in normal range in a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's fantastic and very encouraging! I've recently started walking regularly, not long enough before the bone scan this week,  and am going to start calcium as soon as I can get some and am trying to increase calcium intake.

I've recently started some medications that speed bone loss so I've been reading up on this quite a bit. Calcium carbonate is cheaper but should be taken with food. Calcium citrate is more expensive but better absorbed than carbonate if you take it between meals.  It is best to break up your calcium supplements throughout the day rather than taking it all at once because you will only absorb so much at a time. The vitamin D (be sure it is D3 and not D2) can be taken all at once. It helps you use the calcium more efficiently.

There are lots of studies looking at other supplements to help bone health but the calcium and vit D are the only ones my doctor is recommending at this point.

The impact of exercise on bone density is very interesting.  Not all exercise seems to help.  Swimming is awesome in many ways but doesn't help your bone density.  You need weight bearing exercise and not even all of that is helpful.  There are mixed results from running, for example.  Best bets at this point seem to point to sudden high impact - like jumping - to force your bones to add density.  Yep, I feel a bit silly but I make it a point to jump up as high as I can several times a day and land on a hard surface. Don't do them all in a row though, a bit of time between each jump is supposed to help.

• Like 2

Both of my daughters and I are osteopenic.  My youngest daughter and I both have vitamin D prescription for a megadose once a week, I think 50000 IUs.  SInce both of us already take so many other pills each day (me more than her), we both appreciate only having to take one pill a week versus a few pills extra every day.

• Like 1

I've recently started some medications that speed bone loss so I've been reading up on this quite a bit. Calcium carbonate is cheaper but should be taken with food. Calcium citrate is more expensive but better absorbed than carbonate if you take it between meals.  It is best to break up your calcium supplements throughout the day rather than taking it all at once because you will only absorb so much at a time. The vitamin D (be sure it is D3 and not D2) can be taken all at once. It helps you use the calcium more efficiently.

There are lots of studies looking at other supplements to help bone health but the calcium and vit D are the only ones my doctor is recommending at this point.

The impact of exercise on bone density is very interesting.  Not all exercise seems to help.  Swimming is awesome in many ways but doesn't help your bone density.  You need weight bearing exercise and not even all of that is helpful.  There are mixed results from running, for example.  Best bets at this point seem to point to sudden high impact - like jumping - to force your bones to add density.  Yep, I feel a bit silly but I make it a point to jump up as high as I can several times a day and land on a hard surface. Don't do them all in a row though, a bit of time between each jump is supposed to help.

Thanks! Really good information!

Both of my daughters and I are osteopenic.  My youngest daughter and I both have vitamin D prescription for a megadose once a week, I think 50000 IUs.  SInce both of us already take so many other pills each day (me more than her), we both appreciate only having to take one pill a week versus a few pills extra every day.

I've got some Vit D3 drops - 2 drops = 4000iu. Do you know if those are good for this?

A older woman in our church was telling me once that her doctor told her to walk, barefoot, on her wood/tile floors at home 45 min. a day because the jarring would activate bone growth. Her numbers moved into the normal range just from doing that.

I would be afraid to take calcium tablets because of increased heart disease.

Edited by Fifiruth

I have osteopenia, too. I have it as a result of a problem with my parathyroid. Did you get yours checked?

This was the issue w/my sister as well. It's worth checking, particularly for young people with osteopenia.

However, the OP is post-menopausal, so it's likely other causes. If a calcium ever comes up high on a blood test, parathyroid needs checked by someone who knows the disease. 

I agree with sudden impact/jumping for bones and weight bearing. You might research MK-7 (K-2). I've seen some good things, but I thought it might have increased my blood pressure. Generally, I take vitamin D, magnesium, and vitamin K with calcium rich foods. I'm concerned about heart risks with calcium supplements themselves.  

Edited by sbgrace
  • Like 2

Thanks! I'm wondering if blood calcium levels are high with parathyroid problems?  I'm fairly sure mine are normal. 

In my understanding, blood calcium would be high. But the levels can vary (high, normal, high again) in a person with the disease. So anytime a calcium is high, a doctor would need to take it seriously. A person with symptoms would want checks more than once, as it can be normal/fluctuate. My sister's was found because she had repeat kidney stones (she had other, unrecognized at that time symptoms, including osteopenia). But my mother and an aunt have osteopenia, while my other aunt as osteoperosis--all post menopause, and none w/parathyroid disease. 

• Like 1

I had been sliding toward osteopenia for several years, and received that diagnosis last year. Mine came from cancer treatment and early menopause.

I no longer take calcium supplements - my GP recommended not taking them. I am dairy free for reasons unrelated to osteopenia. I do take Vitamin D, try to be diligent about weight bearing exercise, and I eat calcium-rich food. 

I eat prunes. There are several studies claiming their benefit for bones. I can try to find them again if you want me to. Here is one about postmenopausal women:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26902092

Edited by Penguin
  • Like 1

I had been sliding toward osteopenia for several years, and received that diagnosis last year. Mine came from cancer treatment and early menopause.

I no longer take calcium supplements - my GP recommended not taking them. I am dairy free for reasons unrelated to osteopenia. I do take Vitamin D, try to be diligent about weight bearing exercise, and I eat calcium-rich food. 

I eat prunes. There are several studies claiming their benefit for bones. I can try to find them again if you want me to. Here is one about postmenopausal women:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26902092

Interesting study! Do you mind saying why your GP recommended not taking calcium supplements?

Interesting study! Do you mind saying why your GP recommended not taking calcium supplements?

IIRC, he was withdrawing calcium supplement recommendation for ME based on concerns about heart disease. That is not to say that he would have made the same recommendation to someone else, of course. The research is mixed, so YMMV. I don't like taking supplements so there is that factor. Other people are pro-supplement.

On the other hand, I am fine with changing my diet for just a chance at improvement. So I eat prunes :)

IIRC, he was withdrawing calcium supplement recommendation for ME based on concerns about heart disease. That is not to say that he would have made the same recommendation to someone else, of course. The research is mixed, so YMMV. I don't like taking supplements so there is that factor. Other people are pro-supplement.

On the other hand, I am fine with changing my diet for just a chance at improvement. So I eat prunes :)

I bought prunes today. So I'm going to start off with D3 and prunes and think about the calcium. I've also started jumping up and down on the hard floor as well as my daily walk. My kids think it's pretty hilarious!

• Like 2

I was diagnosed with osteopenia 4 years ago. I started lifting heavier weights (taking Les Mills BodyPump classes). I eat little dairy and don't take calcium supplements. I had it retested a month ago and it's now in the normal range! 

• Like 3

I was diagnosed with osteopenia 4 years ago. I started lifting heavier weights (taking Les Mills BodyPump classes). I eat little dairy and don't take calcium supplements. I had it retested a month ago and it's now in the normal range! 

Good for you!! Is there any way of doing the weights thing at home? I just can't get to a gym easily and really need stuff I can do at home, but can't afford to install a complex gym at home.

I can't right now find the link to the study that said 10 prunes per day, but I can find secondary sources of it. I think it was an Italian study. Your tummy might complain if you go straight from no prunes to 10 per day :)

"A study in 2011 found women who had eaten 10 prunes a day for a year had "significantly higher" bone mineral density." Source: The Guardian.

• Like 1

I can't right now find the link to the study that said 10 prunes per day, but I can find secondary sources of it. I think it was an Italian study. Your tummy might complain if you go straight from no prunes to 10 per day :)

"A study in 2011 found women who had eaten 10 prunes a day for a year had "significantly higher" bone mineral density." Source: The Guardian.

My tummy has problems already so I'm definitely starting slow! I had 2 today and I'm going to work my way up. The study that you linked earlier in the thread found 5/day as effective as 10/day, but it was in a group of slightly older women so I don't know if that makes a difference.

My tummy has problems already so I'm definitely starting slow! I had 2 today and I'm going to work my way up. The study that you linked earlier in the thread found 5/day as effective as 10/day, but it was in a group of slightly older women so I don't know if that makes a difference.

Yep, you are right to point out that the linked study found 5/day to be as effective for the group studied. Sorry for any confusion.
  • Like 1

Good for you!! Is there any way of doing the weights thing at home? I just can't get to a gym easily and really need stuff I can do at home, but can't afford to install a complex gym at home.

Yes, I'd suggest you start with light hand weights and follow a video. Then, purchase a larger set of hand weights when those exercises become easy. For your lower body, in addition to jumping, you can do lunges and squats. 

Hopefully, someone will link to good weight lifting at home videos as I've been at a gym the last 4 years 

• Like 1