Menu

So, Science in the Beginning ROCKS!!!!

ktgrok

Thank you to whomever suggested it! We are loving it! I hadn't even considered it because we are old earth, pro evolution, etc and I figured it would be too heavy on the Jesus for us, lol. But seriously, it is interesting, concise, and EVERY EXPERIMENT WORKS!!! At least, all the ones we have done so far. I'm blown away by that alone, lol. And they are easy, not stuff that takes me an hour to set up. 

Thank you!

• Like 7

I keep looking at this, it's very tempting. But I already have my science plans set for this year. Lol. My oldest send beyond the range it's intended for anyway. I need to remember it for in a couple years when my two oldest kids are doing their own middle school and high school stuff, and use it with my two youngest boys!

Thank you to whomever suggested it! We are loving it! I hadn't even considered it because we are old earth, pro evolution, etc and I figured it would be too heavy on the Jesus for us, lol. But seriously, it is interesting, concise, and EVERY EXPERIMENT WORKS!!! At least, all the ones we have done so far. I'm blown away by that alone, lol. And they are easy, not stuff that takes me an hour to set up.

Thank you!

So it is really OK if you are old earth and evolution? I thought it seemed quite a good series but had the same concerns.

So it is really OK if you are old earth and evolution? I thought it seemed quite a good series but had the same concerns.

Well, it is organized around the days of creation..so the first section is on light. So I just think of it as an organizational thing and don't take that literally. 

Now, I don't know that it is going to cover evolution, but in 2nd grade I just need some basics. WE can add in evolution in other ways. 

I just looked over this. I'm a young earther but I find a lot of the ye texts WAY too heavy on the ye apologetics.

What age do you think would be too old for the first book, what would be too young? I've got a bunch of littles and it appeals to me to wait a little for my 1st grader so that I can teach them all together in a few years. I tend to use a lot of random library books for the early elementary years in lieu of curriculum.

We are OE and I think this text is great. It doesn't hit YE in a heavy way. I don't often worry to much about it though as I have always had the conversation with my kids about open hand and closed hand biblical issues. Somethings all Christians need to agree on and others aren't as imperative. I give my kids both sides. I use Christian curriculums but always keep secular texts on hand to give two perspectives. It has been important to me that they know their parents are scientists and Christians and here is what we believe. I have had them watch YE documentaries and secular documentaries and everything in between. I feel like anything YE is mild in this curriculum and is solid science for kids.

What age/grade do you think this would work for? It says elementary, but there's a really broad range there. Is it something that's appropriate for younger elementary, like first grade?

I started last year with my DS in first grade. He loved it and retained so much. I'm sure it depends on the child and their interests though but even DD at 4 enjoyed the experiments and picked up some things from it.

So compare this to the Apologia Elementary series for me. Why would this be a better choice over the other?

I think it comes down to whether or not you like to teach an array of topics or if you like to cover one scientific branch at a time. Apologia is focused (i.e. Astronomy one year, botany another, zoology etc). I am someone who likes deep study topics but I think many children really love to have variety in science at that age. In the Beginning does a nice job with this. It is meaty, varied, experiments work and the way it broken up is unique. I like the Apologia series for early elementary a great deal. It just comes down to personal preference and what you feel like covering that year.

I think it comes down to whether or not you like to teach an array of topics or if you like to cover one scientific branch at a time. Apologia is focused (i.e. Astronomy one year, botany another, zoology etc). I am someone who likes deep study topics but I think many children really love to have variety in science at that age. In the Beginning does a nice job with this. It is meaty, varied, experiments work and the way it broken up is unique. I like the Apologia series for early elementary a great deal. It just comes down to personal preference and what you feel like covering that year.

What about it as far as age/grade level? Do you find Science In The Beginning to be more flexible, and able to be used with younger ages than the individual Apologia elementary series? I have the Human Body and the Astronomy and I don't know that I feel either would really work for a 1st grader. (Actually, I KNOW the human body wouldn't, as it isn't really intended for that, but the astronomy seems a bit over 1st grade level as well).

Edited by StaceyinLA

What about it as far as age/grade level? Do you find Science In The Beginning to be more flexible, and able to be used with younger ages than the individual Apologia elementary series? I have the Human Body and the Astronomy and I don't know that I feel either would really work for a 1st grader. (Actually, I KNOW the human body wouldn't, as it isn't really intended for that, but the astronomy seems a bit over 1st grade level as well).

Before the whole series was written, Science in the Beginning was originally designed for when oldest child in the family (out of those from grades 1-6 that is) was about 4th or 5th grade or even up to 6th.  

That means grades 3, 2, 1 would be more of tag along siblings.  The tag along sibs in SITB would listen to the intro material, do the demo/experiment with everyone, then be given a simplified notebook assignment.  They'd probably zone out during the explanation and extra information intended for upper elementary.   Assignments for notebooking at given at 3 levels in each lesson, so it's easy to know about which one to give to your child.

Compared to apologia elementary... I like that SITB had a lot more fun to do activities.  You might want to give the first couple of lessons a try from the online sample.  (lessons 1-4 are regular level lessons.  Lesson 15 which is also shown on the sample is more of an "advanced" lesson that could be fun.   Also on the publisher's website is a free download notebook journal to use that was made by some users.  we didn't always write out our assignments in that book.  We'd talk and share out loud.

Before the whole series was written, Science in the Beginning was originally designed for when oldest child in the family (out of those from grades 1-6 that is) was about 4th or 5th grade or even up to 6th.

That means grades 3, 2, 1 would be more of tag along siblings. The tag along sibs in SITB would listen to the intro material, do the demo/experiment with everyone, then be given a simplified notebook assignment. They'd probably zone out during the explanation and extra information intended for upper elementary. Assignments for notebooking at given at 3 levels in each lesson, so it's easy to know about which one to give to your child.

Compared to apologia elementary... I like that SITB had a lot more fun to do activities. You might want to give the first couple of lessons a try from the online sample. (lessons 1-4 are regular level lessons. Lesson 15 which is also shown on the sample is more of an "advanced" lesson that could be fun. Also on the publisher's website is a free download notebook journal to use that was made by some users. we didn't always write out our assignments in that book. We'd talk and share out loud.

I am using Apologia Astronomy with my 1st grade twin boys this year and they are not having any difficulty with it at all. I think it is perfect for 1st to 2nd grade. Both of my boys are really interested in space though and read a number of space themed readers so that could explain their interest level. The activities feel young to me, so perfect for them right now.

ITB is about perfect for my 2nd grader but I feel like a great time to do ITB is 3rd or 4th. Kids will get more out of it. I will pull from it now if I want cross information for something but we haven't done the whole book yet. I'm a mix and matcher ;)

Sounds good. I actually have the Astronomy, so it might be cool to just go ahead with that, although I don't know if the younger K4ers will get anything at all from it - maybe doing some crafts and stuff that would go along with it. I think they'd all enjoy doing little experiments though, which was why I considered the ITB book. I'll be doing science with them a day each week and doing the projects at my house with their moms (my daughters) doing a day or two of science at home. We certainly don't think the 4yos NEED a science program, but I want to use something with the first grader that they can at least get a little out of if we do projects each week.

Sounds good. I actually have the Astronomy, so it might be cool to just go ahead with that, although I don't know if the younger K4ers will get anything at all from it - maybe doing some crafts and stuff that would go along with it. I think they'd all enjoy doing little experiments though, which was why I considered the ITB book. I'll be doing science with them a day each week and doing the projects at my house with their moms (my daughters) doing a day or two of science at home. We certainly don't think the 4yos NEED a science program, but I want to use something with the first grader that they can at least get a little out of if we do projects each week.

Your young ones will probably like the crafts. The balloon solar system, walking around to mimic rotation, pinhole box, etc. They are really little kid friendly I think. I often throw in my own. I did phases of the moon with oreo cookies for example (we opened them and cut the cream to the phases and mounted on black paper, labeled with white crayons etc). There is also a fun Curious George Constellation book and various other young readers you could mix in. We like the Space Cat in the Hat book :)

Your young ones will probably like the crafts. The balloon solar system, walking around to mimic rotation, pinhole box, etc. They are really little kid friendly I think. I often throw in my own. I did phases of the moon with oreo cookies for example (we opened them and cut the cream to the phases and mounted on black paper, labeled with white crayons etc). There is also a fun Curious George Constellation book and various other young readers you could mix in. We like the Space Cat in the Hat book :)

Are you talking about the crafts in the Astronomy book? I haven't really looked at it too much, so I'm not really sure what is in it, but yes, that's what I was thinking. In fact, one of my dgds is almost 5 and doing K, so I think she'll actually get a fair amount out of it. The other one maybe not so much, but she's fascinated by stars and loves looking through her telescope, so she will probably enjoy it as well.

Edited by StaceyinLA