Menu

Nordstroms Trunk Club (like Stitch Fix)

Night Elf

So I took a look at how it's different from Stitch Fix. You fill out a profile and can include a pinterest board if you like. You get to actually chat with your stylist to talk about what you're looking for. You get to pre-approve the items in your trunk before they are mailed to you. Alterations can be done at a Nordstroms store. Too bad there are none near me. Returns are free using the shipping label but it doesn't say it gives you a bag or anything so maybe you could use their box. You have 5 days to decide what to keep.

Their pricing is $50 - $500 for dresses, $60 - $300 for denim, $20 - $150 for tees and tanks, and $55 - $400 for skirts. It doesn't say anything about accessories or shoes. It also doesn't say you can set your own range, i.e. don't go above $X for this item. Maybe you could tell your stylist that when you chat with her.

Has anyone used this or are we all Stitch Fix groupies?

• Like 2

UPDATE: I am ordering a trunk. I filled out the profile to see what it looked like and afterwards it connected me with a stylist. We chatted about what I like and she's going to put together a trunk preview for me before the end of today. If I don't like something in the preview, I give her feedback and she exchanges it with something else. She said they send either up to or exactly 10 items, I'm not sure. I asked about prices and explained to her I was nervous about trying Trunk Club because I know they're an expensive store. I told her I didn't want to spend more than $60 on tops and I'm willing to spend up to $100 on items that are just super great like jeans and skirts. She said she could keep tops under $50 and pants at $60-$70. Sweet!

I'll keep this thread updated as I get more information from them. I'm surprised she said she could get a preview done today. It's Sunday!

• Like 13

UPDATE: I am ordering a trunk. I filled out the profile to see what it looked like and afterwards it connected me with a stylist. We chatted about what I like and she's going to put together a trunk preview for me before the end of today. If I don't like something in the preview, I give her feedback and she exchanges it with something else. She said they send either up to or exactly 10 items, I'm not sure. I asked about prices and explained to her I was nervous about trying Trunk Club because I know they're an expensive store. I told her I didn't want to spend more than $60 on tops and I'm willing to spend up to $100 on items that are just super great like jeans and skirts. She said she could keep tops under $50 and pants at $60-$70. Sweet!

I'll keep this thread updated as I get more information from them. I'm surprised she said she could get a preview done today. It's Sunday!

That is great!  

I love Nordstroms.  Their customer services is fabulous. 

At least half of my and dd18s clothes come from Nordstrom/Nordstrom Rack/Hautelook. I may have to look into this next year.  I don't really need clothes, but I need to break out of a rut with buying the same cut/style of clothes over and over.  LOL  It would be fun to have someone else pick a few things and see how they look.  I know they will do this at a Nordstrom store too, but the ones in our area are small stores, so they have less selection than an online shopper will. 

I'll be following to see how it works for you. My tall, thin wiry hard to fit son is a huge Nordstrom fan. Their customer service and return policies are excellent and the store assistants are great at finding things that work for him. Since I hate to shop, a trunk might just work for me, as I currently order the majority of my clothes online.

• Like 1

Okay, I got a preview of my trunk. I declined 4 out of 10 items. Then it said my trunk was being prepared to be shipped so I don't know if my stylist will replace the declined items before it ships out but if she doesn't that's okay. I okayed a skirt, boyfriend jeans, and 4 tops. I guess she's having as much trouble finding the really flowy skirts I love as Stitch Fix did.

I also realized another point in favor of Stitch Fix. They give you a 25% discount if you buy the whole box. The Trunk Club doesn't offer that. So yes, this will be more expensive than Stitch Fix. If I'm mistaken, I'll let you know but I don't recall seeing anything about discounts.

• Like 2

Okay, I got a preview of my trunk. I declined 4 out of 10 items. Then it said my trunk was being prepared to be shipped so I don't know if my stylist will replace the declined items before it ships out but if she doesn't that's okay. I okayed a skirt, boyfriend jeans, and 4 tops. I guess she's having as much trouble finding the really flowy skirts I love as Stitch Fix did.

I also realized another point in favor of Stitch Fix. They give you a 25% discount if you buy the whole box. The Trunk Club doesn't offer that. So yes, this will be more expensive than Stitch Fix. If I'm mistaken, I'll let you know but I don't recall seeing anything about discounts.

Do you know that you can sort Nordstrom skirts by length when shopping on line?

If this link works, I selected skirts, long length, under $100

Edited by Tap

That's cool that you're trying this too, Night Elf! You're like our Hive fashion guinea pig! :D

It's funny; as we were talking about SF and previewing, I realized I do like the "surprise" aspect of not knowing what is coming. It's strange; I didn't realize that about myself until we discussed it. I love opening the SF box! I'm so excited to see what's in there and it does make it feel like I'm getting a gift rather than just getting necessary clothes.

• Like 4

Do you know that you can sort Nordstrom skirts by length when shopping on line?

If this link works, I selected skirts, long length, under $100

She found one that fits my requirements. What I really want is a bohemian look but that's not easy to find in a traditional department store. So as long as it's long and flowy I'm good. I don't want any slits in the skirts so that knocks out a lot of them.

That's cool that you're trying this too, Night Elf! You're like our Hive fashion guinea pig! :D

It's funny; as we were talking about SF and previewing, I realized I do like the "surprise" aspect of not knowing what is coming. It's strange; I didn't realize that about myself until we discussed it. I love opening the SF box! I'm so excited to see what's in there and it does make it feel like I'm getting a gift rather than just getting necessary clothes.

I did like the surprise of the first SF box because I liked everything in it. I was disappointed in the second box though. It wasn't fun to keep pulling out items that just wasn't me.

This is the last box I'm getting. It's going to have 10 items and I'm only keeping the things that fit me very well. I'll probably get another box around Christmas full of winter stuff. I don't yet know if I'll go with SF or TC. It will depend on how well I like the items in my TC box. They are very cute but how they look on me is a guess.

The only reason I'm doing more than one box right now, using both SF and TC, is because I'm revamping my wardrobe. I want a cuter look. I got my hair cut and now I want new clothes. I might even start wearing a little makeup! Haha!

• Like 9

I did like the surprise of the first SF box because I liked everything in it. I was disappointed in the second box though. It wasn't fun to keep pulling out items that just wasn't me.

This is the last box I'm getting. It's going to have 10 items and I'm only keeping the things that fit me very well. I'll probably get another box around Christmas full of winter stuff. I don't yet know if I'll go with SF or TC. It will depend on how well I like the items in my TC box. They are very cute but how they look on me is a guess.

The only reason I'm doing more than one box right now, using both SF and TC, is because I'm revamping my wardrobe. I want a cuter look. I got my hair cut and now I want new clothes. I might even start wearing a little makeup! Haha!

Yes, my experience was the same: the first box was so great and I loved all but one thing. Second box, not so much (although I liked some aspect of each thing). Third box was happy days are here again! :D

She found one that fits my requirements. What I really want is a bohemian look but that's not easy to find in a traditional department store. So as long as it's long and flowy I'm good. I don't want any slits in the skirts so that knocks out a lot of them.

Have you tried looking on Amazon?   If you type in boho skirt, you get a lot of hits!   Many have free returns as well.  And you can check reviews for information on  quality, fit, etc. 

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_pg_1?fst=as%3Aon&rh=n%3A7141123011%2Cn%3A7147440011%2Cn%3A1040660%2Ck%3Aboho+skirt&keywords=boho+skirt&ie=UTF8&qid=1503877634&spIA=B01COOE4TM,B01MT39RBD,B071999Y3S,B06ZXWXB4C,B072DZ1LX2,B06Y5QFGB3,B01N7POQ7V,B0111Q5WI6,B01M5CFDWO,B01N6L20TK,B01COODU2E,B01N0ZIXM1,B071VJXXPD,B06Y58DDF6,B073J92PWS,B06XCS97TL&lo=none

Edited by Kebo

Thank you all for the links. I did buy a skirt and top off Amazon. I love them! Perfect fit. That makes 2 skirts I own now. I need at least 4. If I like the one in the TC box, I'll keep it and still have to buy one more online. I'll come back and look at these suggestions.

• Like 1

Depending on your size, Free People is also good for bohemian styles.

ETA: I just took a look at Free People because I haven't in a while.  They don't seem as bohemian as they used to be.   :confused1:

Have you ever seen Holy Clothing?   I have one of their dresses and love it.

Edited by Where's Toto?

Night Elf, I hope you like what you get! I'm very interested to see how it turns out. I've tried making an appointment with a stylist at Nordstroms and I got a couple things, but I am too much of an introvert to enjoy shopping that way.

• Like 1

Oh wow, I had no idea about this! I am a huge Nordstrom shopper, and have a personal stylist that I use on a semi-regular basis. This sounds like a cool thing too! And it would be easy for me to return because I have many stores around me. I can't wait to hear what your results are!

One thing you might want to do is start following bloggers. That's how I get a lot of my clothing ideas -- I follow them usually on facebook and they link directly to stuff they recommend and then I pick the things that are my style (I follow bloggers that are only my style anyway). It's a super cool way of shopping for me!

Yes keep us posted! I almost tried Trunk Club but I was scared off by the price points. I am enjoying the surprise of Stitch Fix as well, even though I don't like everything. I do kind of feel like I am opening a present.

I was able to preview the 10 items my stylist chose for me. Honestly, the prices didn't look any different than the prices at Stitch Fix. From Trunk Club, the cheapest item in my trunk is a $17 tshirt. The rest of the tops are reasonably priced too, all but one is under $40. The last one is $59 and it's a tunic. The skirt is $49. The jeans are $78. The denim jacket is $78. The black flats I definitely won't be keeping because they are $80 and I can go to the local shoe store and get a much cheaper pair of shoes than that! And I'm also getting Toms which is $55 which is the normal price for those shoes. I have 4 pairs of Toms though so I doubt I'll keep them.

There is a $25 styling fee that is credited to your account when you buy something.

What Trunk Club doesn't do that Stitch Fix does, is offer a discount for buying the whole box.. However, I'm positive I will not be buying all 10 items that Trunk Club sends. That's too much money and too many clothes.

• Like 2