Menu

Story of the World and Beowulf

Mama Geek

We are working our way through Story of the World Vol 2.  We just read the excerpt on Beowulf and dd wanted to attempted to read the whole poem.  We are breaking for lunch around line 300.  I didn't read this until high school.  I am just dumbfounded and she wants to keep going.

• Like 2

I would recommend getting a good audiobook version. It's meant to be listened to, after all.

Yes!  

Seamus Heaney reads his translation.  A bit abridged.  It's been a while, but we enjoyed both reading and listening.   You can find it on youtube.

Edited by marbel
  • Like 3

The Robert Nye version is in chapter book form and a pleasant read. Or if you think she's ready for the poetic form I'd go with the Heaney audio version read by himself.

There are also loads of kiddie retellings. I use one by Rumford for my littles.

• Like 3

Here are free audios of part 1 and part 2 of Seamus Heaney reading a slightly abridged version of his poetic translation of Beowulf.

And while I usually try not to push books on people, I LOVED this illustrated edition of Heaney's translation -- beautiful layout and fabulous color photos of historic sites and artifacts from approx. the time of the poem's creation, with very helpful margin notes and author's explanation about the translation. SUPER choice for high school students. :)

ETA -- I just noticed in your signature that DD is 7yo... In that case, I like Silver Moon's suggestion. Good prose retellings for elementary ages:

Beowulf, by James Rumford

The Hero Beowulf, by Eric Kimmel

Dover Children's Classics, by H.E. Marshall

Beowulf, A New Retelling, by Robert Nye

You also might enjoy watching the Animated Beowulf, an abridged prose version narrated by Derek Jacobi. It's 30-minutes long, and FREE on YouTube in six 5-minute segments:

part 1

part 2

part 3

part 4

part 5

part 6

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 9

Here are free audios of part 1 and part 2 of Seamus Heaney reading a slightly abridged version of his poetic translation of Beowulf.

And while I usually try not to push books on people, I LOVED this illustrated edition of Heaney's translation -- beautiful layout and fabulous color photos of historic sites and artifacts from approx. the time of the poem's creation, with very helpful margin notes and author's explanation about the translation. SUPER choice for high school students. :)

ETA -- I just noticed in your signature that DD is 7yo... In that case, I like Silver Moon's suggestion. Good prose retellings for elementary ages:

You also might enjoy watching the Animated Beowulf, an abridged prose version narrated by Derek Jacobi. It's 30-minutes long, and FREE on YouTube in six 5-minute segments:

part 1

part 2

part 3

part 4

part 5

part 6

Thank you for these links!

This is perfect timing.  We are doing BP Middle Ages, and it suggested reading Beowulf.

Pam 

• Like 2

A few years ago they released Tolkien's translation of Beowulf.  It's rich and dense, like a dark chocolate truffle. Not something you hork down, but something you savor.

For kids the illustrated one by Kevin Crossley-Holland might be an option if they don't find the pictures too unsettling. It is a story about monsters and battles after all.

part 1

part 2

part 3

part 4

part 5

part 6

Hi, Lori D!

I can't tell you how many of your posts like this one that I have bookmarked in my browser so I can refer back to them. Thank you!

• Like 1