Menu

Looking for good TV shows for ds who's 7

Do you want educational suggestions, fun suggestions, or a combination?

For the combo category, I would suggest the Schoolhouse Rock DVD. My ds7 & ds8 both like it. I got it from netflicks and put it in with no comment or explanation. About 10 minutes into it, my ds8 said, "Hey, you could learn something from these, couldn't you?"

Just for fun, my boys like Ben 10. We don't have cable so don't get the Nick shows...both like these (it does involve aliens & a boy who puts on a wristwatch thing and turns into different superhero-type creatures, just in case you're not aware and/or don't like that sort of thing)

The other TV show that my boys like (surprisingly) is the old Little House On the Prarie shows.

Now that I look at the above list, it seems a bit odd...make of it what you will.:001_smile:

The Way Things Work

Franklin

Little Bear (my ds7, almost 8, still likes this show!)

Liberty's Kids (older kids can probably understand this better, but my kiddos still like it.)

I don't know what your beliefs are, but there is a great dvd series put out by Dr. Jobe Martin called Incredible Creatures that Defy Evolution. There are 3 and they are working on another one. My kids LOVE these! Here's the website: http://www.explorationfilms.com/exploration-films-incredible-creatures-3.html

CBD is a good place to search. They offer a variety of resources, not just biblical. Here's the web address to the kid's dvd page.

http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/easy_find?event=HPT&N=1111708&Ne=1000000&Nso=1&Nu=product%2Eendeca%5Frollup&category=DVDs&Ns=product%2Enumber%5Fsold

I'm sure there are lots more, but these are the ones I could think of. HTH gets you started...

Ymmv as to whether or not you would consider these appropriate for your 7yo, but my 7yo (and 10yo) love shows on the Discovery Channel:

Mythbusters

Dirty Jobs

Man vs. Wild

SurvivorMan

How It's Made

And, they love various Food Network shows, such as:

Iron Chef

Unwrapped

Ace of Cakes

Dinner: Impossible

etc...

I think you can get dvds for almost all of these series.

Ymmv as to whether or not you would consider these appropriate for your 7yo, but my 7yo (and 10yo) love shows on the Discovery Channel:

Mythbusters

Dirty Jobs

Man vs. Wild

SurvivorMan

How It's Made

And, they love various Food Network shows, such as:

Iron Chef

Unwrapped

Ace of Cakes

Dinner: Impossible

etc...

I think you can get dvds for almost all of these series.

I gotta give a big thumbs up to the first 5 on your list (my ds watch them at grandmas and then educate me on all sorts of stuff). Both boys would be very excited to receive any of those.

I gotta give a big thumbs up to the first 5 on your list (my ds watch them at grandmas and then educate me on all sorts of stuff). Both boys would be very excited to receive any of those.

My oldest got my 5 and 7 year old hooked on Man vs Wild. Dh always watches it, but it is on after they go to bed. They just love it when he eats a sheep's heart. :glare:

My oldest got my 5 and 7 year old hooked on Man vs Wild. Dh always watches it, but it is on after they go to bed. They just love it when he eats a sheep's heart. :glare:

My kids love all of it too & I think they've seen all the episodes. I like it too, and when I watch, my ds will tell me when to cover my eyes. (I'm too squeamish to watch some of the parts.) :lol:

I agree with Magic School B us and most of the older series like The Jetsons, etc. We're particular fans of Rocky and Bullwinkle, as well as The Muppet Show. Of course, you can never go wrong with Bugs Bunny and Friends! We also love Spongebob around here.

One very good show on PBS is "Fetch with Ruff Ruffman". Very entertaining, educational, funny.

Wendi