Menu

What bugs you more? The smart mouth or being ignored?

SKL

56 members have voted

1. 1. Which annoys you more?

• The sharp tongue or smart answer.
    • Being ignored.

I have one kid who is quick with a "smart" answer or a "tone."

The other one just doesn't bother to respond when I call her attention (some of the time).

I've had people tell me the one bugs them more than the other.  So I thought I'd do a poll.  Which one annoys you the most?

I have a hard time keeping my chill when I am ignored.  If they have an attitude, that's fine, at least we are communicating.  Not that I like attitude, though.

ETA- I have a fairly big sarcastic streak, so I sometimes (often?) enjoy their remarks.  I do try not to let them know that.

Edited by Guinevere
  • Like 4

My "smart Alec" is the quiet one so people can easily put up with his "smart answers" a few times a year. He is that quiet.

My chatty one is the one that irritate people and I get complaints about.

I can't vote since neither options describe my kids.

Edited by Arcadia

I have never dealt with either of these with any of my kids but I have with other people's kids. I really dislike sassy comments, eye rolls and just lack of common courtesy or disrespect. Ignoring is pretty hard to bare too...hmmm...maybe I am not sure...I would probably be confused and irritated if my kids did either of these.

Edited by nixpix5

Okay, my kids are older and do neither of these things hardly at all (only youngest a bit of smart answer occasionally and she is growing out of that).  All of them argued and were stubborn.  I had to keep in mind that stubbornness had served both me and my husband very well (in holding off on doing bad or destructive things due to peer pressure) and think about how it will eventually get better.  It has.  The only person I knew who ignored people was my mil and I thought it was about the rudest things ever.

• Like 1

Personally I'm more likely to yell at the kid who ignores me.  I'm like, at least say something - "just a minute" or anything.  It makes me crazy to be ignored.

The sharp-tongued kid gets corrected, but it's more likely to be a stern look / word rather than a holler.  :P

• Like 1

Being ignored, because at least if they give me a wise-a$$ed remark, it might be intellectually clever. But it doesn't take any cleverness to just sit there like a stone. ðŸ˜

Being ignored. It's a very quick way for my children to lose any privilege they hold dear. I find little as disrespectful as someone purposefully ignoring somebody who is speaking directly to them. Obviously, this doesn't apply when somebody accidentally ignores (i.e. daydreaming, etc.) -- I'm prone to that myself and I get it, lol.

The sass? It grates, but I tend toward a smart mouth, as does my husband, and two of our three children... most certainly the teenager... and I just don't find it as big a deal as intentional ignoring. Probably just a personal preference.