Menu

What is it that some do not like about HSLDA (spin off)

Oh, this is a much more fun thread.. :)

http://hsislegal.com/

This website explains it all about why I do not like them. I think they are fear mongering, I think they stick their noses where they don't belong and don't stick their noses where they are needed most, I think they have worn out their need.. I could go on, but that website explains it all.

There is NOTHING that HSLDA does that a normal attorney cannot do with the power of the internet.

:D Some of us have happily been HSLDA members for a long time. Some of us have seen them come to the aid of friends and fellow homeschoolers who were being harrassed by CPS. Some of us have had their students benefit from their programs. Some of us have sent their graduates to Patrick Henry. Some of us would actually encourage you to join. :D

and I usually stay out of threads on the subject. It's like sacking fog with HSLDA-naysayers.

If you'd like to PM me, I'll share my thoughts with you, but I won't say anything here.

Ellie---do share your wisdom.. it doesn't matter that I might disagree (or agree since I don't know) but you do have a lot of wisdom, so share, please?

Dolly-- to each their own. But I'd never recommend them not when a decent lawyer can do the same thing. Plus there are so many things HSLDA does not do that they should... and Patrick Henry? eek.. :)

I've never had a report called on me, but I have called reports on others (serious, awful abuse incidents) and have had experience with fostering both personally and through friends. I have seen way too many incidents of DCFS' bad behavior.

To be perfectly fair, I have also seen dedicated social workers and child welfare workers who have been truly God-sent.

My point is, it makes a lot of sense to me to have lawyers well-versed specifically in homeschool law and case law. I cannot say that HSLDA is perfect by any stretch--but I have never, ever seen a perfect organization, so I don't *expect* HSLDA to be perfect.

although for the most part I think they provide a valuable service to the homeschooling community. In a sense, a membership with HSLDA is like an insurance policy, and probably a very helpful one at that for some people. My husband is a lawyer, and although he could represent us if we encountered a legal problem with homeschooling, he is not specifically trained to deal with homeschool laws. He would be the first to advise people that lawyers should not represent themselves. Thus, we have a membership as a family.

Also, the fee for HSLDA generally runs around $100.00 (give or take a few dollars) per year, and for many people, especially homeschooling families that might not have a lot of money, that's extremely inexpensive for legal representation that might run into many hours' worth of work for a lawyer.

I'm not saying that members should agree with all of HSLDA's positions; I believe that HSLDA will represent any member, regardless of personal beliefs or persuasions. I just think it's a good insurance policy, personally.

I agree with this 100%. My DH and I are both attorneys, and we do not think smart lawyers represent themselves.

Lawyers charge more per hour than the HSLDA charges for a membership. It's a good deal, IMO.

although for the most part I think they provide a valuable service to the homeschooling community. In a sense, a membership with HSLDA is like an insurance policy, and probably a very helpful one at that for some people. My husband is a lawyer, and although he could represent us if we encountered a legal problem with homeschooling, he is not specifically trained to deal with homeschool laws. He would be the first to advise people that lawyers should not represent themselves. Thus, we have a membership as a family.

Also, the fee for HSLDA generally runs around $100.00 (give or take a few dollars) per year, and for many people, especially homeschooling families that might not have a lot of money, that's extremely inexpensive for legal representation that might run into many hours' worth of work for a lawyer.

I'm not saying that members should agree with all of HSLDA's positions; I believe that HSLDA will represent any member, regardless of personal beliefs or persuasions. I just think it's a good insurance policy, personally.

I completely agree with Toni.

I think they are fear mongering, I think they stick their noses where they don't belong and don't stick their noses where they are needed most, I think they have worn out their need.. I could go on

While knowing that you have legal coverage, should the need occur, is great, I gradually came to feel as if HSLDA was nothing more than a bully pulpit for a certain individual's viewpoint. Homeschoolers are not all right-wing conservative Christians (and I say this as a somewhat conservative Christian).

Ria

I agree with this 100%. My DH and I are both attorneys, and we do not think smart lawyers represent themselves.

Lawyers charge more per hour than the HSLDA charges for a membership. It's a good deal, IMO.

are needed?

I live in a very homeschool friendly area, with a lot of homeschoolers, and have never heard of anyone being harassed by anybody.

I know when homeschooling was on its way to becoming a mainstream HSLDA was a much needed organization.

But is that still the case in a lot of the country?

It's like sacking fog with HSLDA-naysayers.

What does that mean, sacking fog?

I don't care for HSLDA because they are a conservative lobby that does not represent me politically, though they claim when they propose legislation to represent all homeschoolers (not just their members) in the US and are turned to as "The Experts" on policy and practice.

They don't want my money. :-) I'd be way too snarly about how they use it.

I have nothing against the individual executives and lawyers in HSLDA personally, though.

I'm a nay-sayer, but I'm pretty up-front about why (specific policies, politics, etc) that they don't get my money.

Well, apparantly, two families are now facing investigation within my own homeschool group. And of course, they are HSLDA members. I don't know the allegations, as it was not put out in the email, but even when *I* faced charges, all I had to do was show them the law and they backed off.

And one of those charges was brought on by a CPS worker herself. Once it was found untrue and inaccurate, and once I showed them the law, I have never had a single problem, even living in a county were HSLDA supposedly "is needed".

My biggest points of contention with them are:

***They really have worn out their welcome. In the beginning of homeschooling, they were needed. But not now. There simply is nothing HSLDA cannot do for me that a real lawyer can't do.

***Chris Klicka does NOT speak for me. And I loathe that he tries to. I may not be conservative, Christian or anything else, but his views are NOT ALL homeschoolers views and I'm sick and tired of hearing about him sticking his nose in issues that have nothing to do with homeschooling!

***The biggest thing is divorce. They will not, absolutely refuse to help even a member, in a divorce hearing. Even when homeschooling is brought to the forfront of that hearing, they refuse to step up and help and to me, that's where they are needed most!! NOT in congress lobbying for ALL homeschoolers.

***They ARE Klicka's bully pulpit and I don't like that.

And I'm sorry RoughCollie, but if you and DH are both lawyers, you do NOT need HSLDA!!! You are both homeschoolers, you both know the law, probably better than Klicka does and I feel you both could do a much better job representing yourselves!! That is a compliment, btw, so no one better shoot me a stupid neg. rep for it. I just can't see two well trained homeschooling lawyers needing the help of someone who really does NOT have your homeschooling interests at heart!!

I think they are fear mongering, I think they stick their noses where they don't belong and don't stick their noses where they are needed most, I think they have worn out their need.. I could go on

While knowing that you have legal coverage, should the need occur, is great, I gradually came to feel as if HSLDA was nothing more than a bully pulpit for a certain individual's viewpoint. Homeschoolers are not all right-wing conservative Christians (and I say this as a somewhat conservative Christian).

Ria

This is exactly how I feel about HSLDA as well - fearmongering, sticking their noses (and legislation) in where it is not needed, and not representative of all homeschoolers (and they present themselves as if they are).

Toni you said:

***The biggest thing is divorce. They will not, absolutely refuse to help even a member, in a divorce hearing. Even when homeschooling is brought to the forfront of that hearing, they refuse to step up and help and to me, that's where they are needed most!! NOT in congress lobbying for ALL homeschoolers.

Where did you get this information? They helped me about 7 years ago when my ex-husband made silly threats about having the courts force me to put our 2 boys in public school. They sent me a huge packet of info (court cases, etc.) and I wasn't even a member.

especially if you're in a homeschool-friendly area. We live in a state where it's essentially homeschool-friendly, but our school district isn't always the "kindest" towards homeschoolers. We've heard of not-so-good things sometimes happening with homeschoolers. So---we're members.

I look at it this way: even if I never need their services (which is extremely likely I wouldn't need them, ever), I can think of the money as sort of a "donation" (loose use of that word, here) towards the legal fees of some family that might really need them.

Toni you said:

Where did you get this information? They helped me about 7 years ago when my ex-husband made silly threats about having the courts force me to put our 2 boys in public school. They sent me a huge packet of info (court cases, etc.) and I wasn't even a member.

They only sent you a huge packet of information, they did not stand up for you in court or send someone to represent you during because they won't. Read the link I provided above, divorce is a "domestic" case for them and they consider it one where they are not to interferre.

They will do as you said--send a packet of information--and that's it. Nothing more. Nothing that is actually needed, IMHO.

As it happens, I agree with you. We are not members of the HSLDA. Our being attorneys seems to intimidate the folks in our town's school system.

BUT if I felt like I needed the insurance, I'd join HSLDA. I don't want to handle a case that has to do with hsing law. It would take up too much of my time, getting up to speed on that.

For those who are not attorneys, and who cannot afford to pay an attorney, I think membership in the HSLDA is a good insurance policy.

For those who are attorneys, I think it depends on whether an individual prefers to either pay or handle their own case, or let the HSLDA do it.

And I'm sorry RoughCollie, but if you and DH are both lawyers, you do NOT need HSLDA!!! You are both homeschoolers, you both know the law, probably better than Klicka does and I feel you both could do a much better job representing yourselves!! That is a compliment, btw, so no one better shoot me a stupid neg. rep for it. I just can't see two well trained homeschooling lawyers needing the help of someone who really does NOT have your homeschooling interests at heart!!

They only sent you a huge packet of information, they did not stand up for you in court or send someone to represent you during because they won't. Read the link I provided above, divorce is a "domestic" case for them and they consider it one where they are not to interferre.

They will do as you said--send a packet of information--and that's it. Nothing more. Nothing that is actually needed, IMHO.

I asked for advice and they spoke with me at length about my situation. Regardless of how you see it, they were very helpful. :)

HSLDA has a long-standing policy of not taking cases involved in domestic relations court--the kind of homeschooling cases most common today.

From the site I linked to. HSLDA's site is down right now or else I'd link it directly. Simply put, you got lucky. They do not and have not taken, as a rule, domestic cases. If you had requested an attorney show up in court, one would not have been provided for you because they do not do, as a rule, domestic cases.

Again, *I* tell new homschoolers that there is nothing HSLDA can do for you that you cannot do for yourself. Know the law, and know your State Rep (if you have one) or join your local homeschool group. As it turns out, my state has a very knowledgeable rep who DESPISES HSLDA because she feels the same about them as I do--and she IS a conservative Christian. Now, she never advertises this, and in fact, has worked with HSLDA before in Florida, but she generally does not recommend them.

From the site I linked to. HSLDA's site is down right now or else I'd link it directly. Simply put, you got lucky. They do not and have not taken, as a rule, domestic cases. If you had requested an attorney show up in court, one would not have been provided for you because they do not do, as a rule, domestic cases.

Here is a quote from HSLDA:

— In third-party custody cases (brought by a grandparent or other relative) HSLDA will provide members with defense for the portion of the case relating to home schooling. Although we do not take divorce or custody cases, we do provide a helpful packet of legal information and will, when there is an opportunity to set precedent, file an amicus brief on behalf of the home schooling parent.

While they may not come and stand beside you in court, which I wouldn't want anyway since they aren't divorce attorneys, they will help if they can. And I'll say one last time that they were very helpful and I wasn't a member.

are needed?

I live in a very homeschool friendly area, with a lot of homeschoolers, and have never heard of anyone being harassed by anybody.

I know when homeschooling was on its way to becoming a mainstream HSLDA was a much needed organization.

I guess it depends on what you mean by harassed. Here in Hawaii, I know of several people who have been informed by principals that they are required to do things not outlined in law. This includes testing at grades where testing is not mandated, providing testing by a certain date and participating in testing at schools instead of using one of several standardized tests. This has happened to friends of mine, not just a friend of a friend of a friend. And it is being done by principals who ought to know better because they have been corrected year after year after year.

I have also watched as homeschoolers, supported by HSLDA, were almost the only voice against mandatory universal preschool (this was in the District of Columbia).

I don't think that you have to follow their endorsements uncritically. And I don't think that only legislation that they support is worthy (for example, increasing access to public school activities like sports for all homeschoolers). I also don't think that all homeschoolers fall in line with the wider range of HSLDA politics.

But neither do I think that HSLDA reps are evil men, intent on fooling homeschoolers. I was once part of an email loop that discussed legislative action for homeschoolers. Scott Sommerville was part of the group. I was amazed at the graciousness with which he answered some very vitriolic emails. So I guess I'm saying that I don't think you should take all HSLDA bashing at face value either.

But, iHSLDA is not insurance. They can choose who they will represent and who they won't. Also, if they don't have an attorney who is licensed to practice in your state, they can only advise and send letters. They do not pay for a local attorney.

HSLDA is an advocacy group for a small segment of the homeschooling population. The work behind the backs of state organizations and have influenced drafting of laws that were not in the best interests of homeschoolers. They purport to speak for homeschoolers everywhere, yet don't do an effective job of it.

My biggest objection is that they don't represent me politically. I don't appreciate them spouting off that homeschoolers want this or want that. If they want to express their opinion, they should specify that they are representing HSLDA members, not homeschoolers at large.

I am not a member of HSLDA because I disagree with many of their policies. There is a big deal about the fact that they will represent members in court. Do they also publicize the fact that they lobby against virtual charter schools. They actively lobby against school choices that do not meet their narrow definition of homeschooling. When they lobby for these position they claim to be representing their homeschool membership.

It just seems dishonest to me. Don't try to scare me into believing I need your legal protection and then go off and limit my homeschooling options.

this summer. We have been members for 3 years, and I saw them as an insurance policy. I had only had to contact them once, and they were helpful. Then this federal election cycle began, and they backed a candidate, so we aren't continuing with them any more. By backing a federal candidate, they acknowledged that the federal government has some element of control over the educational system of this country. No such authority is provided by the Constitution. I don't want an attorney who doesn't understand the Constitution. I'll find a way to hire a good attorney if I ever need one.

I worry that HSLDA is more a political arm of right wing fundamentalist theology than it is about protecting homeschooling itself. That's the perception, not sure if it's the reality.

If I lived in the US, I'd at least be openminded about joining -maybe- but honestly probably not. I'd be willing to take a closer look. Since I live overseas the decision is easier since I don't agree with what they do and if I really did need them I doubt they could help me anyways.

Here's the problem: I love HSing, I want to help the HS community grow. I want as little red tape for HS families as possible. At the same time, HSLDA is little more than right wing conservative fundamentalists. They are essentially a branch of the Republican Party. They give money to candidates on a broad range of coservatgive social issues, none of which have anything to do with HSing. Now I do recognise that the NEA (school teacher's union) hates HSing and wants to crush/regulate us to extniction and they have a big voice in the Democratic Party.

The thing is that most politicians of either stripe really don't care about homeschooling. They're fighting some grand battle for health care reform or tax relief or Medicare. Even ones on the Education committees talk about No Child Left Behind or charter school vouchers, or tuition tax credits, or any number of things. Homeschooling is way, way down the list of priorities in the sub-branch of education. Most politicians don't care about it.

If HSLDA targeted Education committee members of both parties and offered cash for a pledge to support HS or just not to push regulation opposed to us. That would be cool. Liberal Democrat or Conservative Republican, it doesn't matter, if your HS friendly you get cash. If not, we'll approach your opponent in the next election with the same question.

HSLDA doesn't do this. They care about abortion and family values legislation and automatically reject anything the UN says about children. They aren't looking out for us as HSers. In court they are, but they aren't doing the job in politics. They're just another religious right group.

It seems to me that the HSLDA would help secular HSers if they were members, but they certainly don't do anything to build bridges to the secular HS community. A fig leaf would be nice. Maybe a gesture of solidarity with us. As it seems, they appeal to the fundamentalist Christain-right HSers and almost exclusivly promote Christian conservative Republican politicians on a broad range of social issues that have zero to do with HSing.

Well, I both live overseas and am new to HSing, maybe they do try to reach out but I haven't noticed.

Well, I'm not a fan of HSLDA, but I don't hate them, either. When we were first getting ready to homeschool, they were highly recommended to us by the only homeschooling family we knew at that time. Since I'd had to go through the whole team evaluation, monthly meetings, constantly working with the school board to make sure dd got what she needed, I joined before homeschooling just in case (I was new, as I said.) I won't say I got my money's worth, but it helped my peace of mind to submit my first notices of intent to homeschool on their forms in case they were interested in giving us flack. It turns out that this is a very homeschool friendly place, but our friends didn't live in the same area.

I do think HSLDA has a strong tendency to use fear mongering, which always bothers me wherever I see it (as in the media, for example). I don't agree with all of their platforms. I didn't continue our membership after the first couple of years when I was more savvy. I also really don't care for the whole term "generation Joshua." I still get their emails after all this time, but don't bother reading most of their articles. When I get their alerts, I check with any from a more local, more liberal and actually an unschooling oriented group. When both sides are concerned, a huge red flag raises for me, because then I am convinced it affects more than one area of homeschoolers.

As for their theocratic ideas, that's almost a separate topic. On one hand, while I think many of the Biblical standards are good, moral standards, they are often interpreted so many different ways, and who is to decide which interpretation is right? I just don't believe that God is a politician--I don't think God is Republican, Democratic, Libertarian or any other party. More importantly, if our government is to represent its citizens, we cannot say that it is strictly a Christian country. Nor has it ever been. For better or for worse, we need to continue the separation of church (or you could insert religious beliefs of any kind, for not all include a church) and state.

Ellie---do share your wisdom.. it doesn't matter that I might disagree (or agree since I don't know) but you do have a lot of wisdom, so share, please?

Dolly-- to each their own. But I'd never recommend them not when a decent lawyer can do the same thing. Plus there are so many things HSLDA does not do that they should... and Patrick Henry? eek.. :)/quote]

Toni, you are such a sweetheart :-)

I will only say that after 20 years I have only the utmost respect and admiration for the work that HSLDA has done. I am puzzled as to why people say HSLDA is "fear mongering;" people want to know why they should be members, HSLDA gives examples of cases they have handled, and somehow this is construed by critics as scaring people into joining.:confused:

Ok, that's more than I intended to say.

Ok, one more thing: I could spend $125 a year for many years and never reach the fee that an outside attorney would charge to handle my case, and he would probably not have the expertise that HSLDA attorneys have. And more than one hser has obeyed the law to the letter, and showed school officials proof that they have done so, and still had to go to court.

Ok, that's really it. At this point I have already begun to sack fog.

I would like to give you the benefit of the doubt. Perhaps your geographical distance has something to do with the innaccuracies in your post.

HSLDA does a lot of good things for homeschoolers, members or not, religious or not, and certainly regardless to their political affiliation.

They are a Christian organization.

I'm surprised people expect HSLDA to make some disclaimer before every statement that they represent a certain sliver of the homeschooling population. I don't agree with one of my senators from FL 90% of the time. But when he gives a speech and says "the people in Florida want this or that," I have the understanding to know he's not talking about me. I wouldn't expect that. Why everyone gets ruffled when HSLDA says something they don't agree with just baffles me. This "they don't represent me" anger is pointless.

I have often said, when these discussions pop up, I would rather see those who are opposed to HSLDA just form their own organization and stop criticizing a group that has been very transparent in their positions.

As for the democrat v. republican thing. They will ping a republican who is trying to put limits on homeschoolers or parental rights just as fast as a democrat. I'll let you look into which party predominately tries to limit homeschoolers. Not trying to break a board rule, here.

jo

Wish I'd thought of it first [*bg*]

I would like to give you the benefit of the doubt. Perhaps your geographical distance has something to do with the innaccuracies in your post.

HSLDA does a lot of good things for homeschoolers, members or not, religious or not, and certainly regardless to their political affiliation.

They are a Christian organization.

I'm surprised people expect HSLDA to make some disclaimer before every statement that they represent a certain sliver of the homeschooling population. I don't agree with one of my senators from FL 90% of the time. But when he gives a speech and says "the people in Florida want this or that," I have the understanding to know he's not talking about me. I wouldn't expect that. Why everyone gets ruffled when HSLDA says something they don't agree with just baffles me. This "they don't represent me" anger is pointless.

I have often said, when these discussions pop up, I would rather see those who are opposed to HSLDA just form their own organization and stop criticizing a group that has been very transparent in their positions.

As for the democrat v. republican thing. They will ping a republican who is trying to put limits on homeschoolers or parental rights just as fast as a democrat. I'll let you look into which party predominately tries to limit homeschoolers. Not trying to break a board rule, here.

jo

HSLDA presents a conundrum for me. I am a politically moderate atheist. Often times I feel that they are so far politically from where I stand, especially on their ideas on family and marriage, that I could never be a member. Other times I agree wholeheartedly with their work for homeschooling in general. We are not members and are not likely to become members unless the environment for homeschoolers in our state ever becomes less friendly.

Less my location than my attention. I've only been looking into homeschooling recently as my daughter is only 9 months old and we haven't really started much of anything as far as teaching. So please if anything is innacruate if you could be more specific, thanks...

jo

The GOP is much more homeschool friendly and the Dems have a lot of influence by the teachers unions who are known to be hostile to HSing. So generally most money would go to GOP members. But the HSLDA doesn't seem to use HS as much criteria for anything. They don't work both sides amd they have other social issues taht have nothing to do with HSing. Am I wrong? Please tell me if I am.

From what I can tell, and I've only been paying attenton for a year and a half, HSLDA looks more like a cheerleader of the Republican Party than it looks like an advoicacy vehicle for HS. Maybe if the HSLDA was more evenhanded and focused on HS, this would be less of a problem, but it looks like they have other religious right motives so they alienate secular homeschoolers or Democrats who would otherwise help.

Ria

Amen, Ria. This is how I feel about HSLDA as well.

Granted, Florida is a pretty easy state for homeschoolers, but HSLDA gave me the creeps the first time I met their representatives at my very first homeschooling convention.

Also, if they don't have an attorney who is licensed to practice in your state, they can only advise and send letters. They do not pay for a local attorney.

I'm not sure if this information comes from HSLDA's website or other available information; if it does, I'd sure like to see it. Unless I misunderstood the "behind the scenes" events, I don't think this statement is accurate, and here's why:

My best friend is a lawyer here in our state, and she was contacted and hired by HSLDA to represent a homeschooling family further north of us. She was self-employed at the time and was not associated with HSLDA. Nevertheless, they contacted her and had her represent this family and paid for all of the legal expenses. HSLDA flew out at least one legal expert to assist her in preparing her defense. She won the case, although homeschooling law was not her forte.

Guest Virginia Dawn

We have been members for 15 years. I really believe they have done a lot to help very many people who would not have been able to help themselves. We looked at our membership as low cost insurance. Because we never needed them, we were happy to think the money was being used to help others. However, now I think they have been looking for reasons to continue to justify their existence in order to maintain their incoming funds in the last few years.

We even considered sending our oldest son to PH, until we realized it would definitely not be a good fit. In that setting there are somethings you can not question, the age of the earth being one, the steps to salvation another. A member of our faith group was ostracised for bringing up alternative view points in a Bible class and not backing down on his position.

More and more, we have begun to recognise many of their positions as extremist and their words mere lip-service to the constitution. Their endorsement of Huckabee was the last straw. We were e-mailed asking us to join them in supporting him, and sent a reply which, as graciously as possible, explained that we did not believe HSLDA should be endorsing a presidential candidate, especially one whose record was not strictly constitutional. The answer they sent back was a farce, pleading ignorance of the other candidate's positions and records. :eek: It was quite clear that their support had nothing to do with homeschooling or the constitution, but their own doctrinal theology.

That severed the last thread of any desire we had to remain supporters of HSLDA.

are needed?

This is my thinking as well.

Ria

Agree.

Also, if they don't have an attorney who is licensed to practice in your state, they can only advise and send letters. They do not pay for a local attorney.

I'm not sure if this information comes from HSLDA's website or other available information; if it does, I'd sure like to see it. Unless I misunderstood the "behind the scenes" events, I don't think this statement is accurate, and here's why:

My best friend is a lawyer here in our state, and she was contacted and hired by HSLDA to represent a homeschooling family further north of us. She was self-employed at the time and was not associated with HSLDA. Nevertheless, they contacted her and had her represent this family and paid for all of the legal expenses. HSLDA flew out at least one legal expert to assist her in preparing her defense. She won the case, although homeschooling law was not her forte.

I had heard of a case in IL where they told the couple that they did not practice in IL so the best they could do was send them a packet and advise them. The couple had to pay for their own attorney. I had a link to it, but it is broken. I guess I'll have to withdraw this as hearsay.

What I meant by the behind the scenes comment was about how they have private meetings with state legislators without involving the local homeschooling groups. They have helped to draft legislation that was more onerous that previous legislation. While we have not had that experience in IL (and thank the dear Lord for that), we have experienced their heavy handed tactics in other ways. They nearly derailed our efforts to beat a defacto homeschooler registration bill (it was to register homeschoolers vaccination records) after they purported to speak for all homeschoolers and did not let any of the nearly 100 people who showed up for the hearing to speak. We had a ton of work to do after that bill made it out of committee due to the HSDLA rep's poor job of defending the rights of homeschoolers.