Menu

Adam Ruins Everything

Moxie

I stumbled across Adam Ruins Everything on YouTube. I guess it is also a tv show? Whoa. Fascinating and kinda scary. Glasses, health care costs, funerals, the hymen--everything I know is a lie!!

Edited by Moxie

I stumbled across Adam Ruins Everything on YouTube. I guess it is also a tv show? Whoa. Fascinating and kinda scary. Glasses, health care costs, funerals, the hymen--everything I know is a lie!!

I think the only one I've ever seen was his thing on circumcision. But now I am curious about the glasses... after just having bought new glasses for every glasses-wearer in my household. Do I want to know?

ETA: Found it and watched it. I am surprised. I wonder how the making of lenses falls into that. I buy my own glasses cheap at zenni. But DS has a crazy high rx so his lenses are always expensive, no matter where I have looked. And I have been buying his frames at wally-world because they replace the frames free for an entire year, which means he gets 3-4 pairs of free frames (same lenses) every year because he breaks them every few months.

Edited by DesertBlossom

I think the only one I've ever seen was his thing on circumcision. But now I am curious about the glasses... after just having bought new glasses for every glasses-wearer in my household. Do I want to know?

Here you go!

ETA: Found it and watched it. I am surprised. I wonder how the making of lenses falls into that. I buy my own glasses cheap at zenni. But DS has a crazy high rx so his lenses are always expensive, no matter where I have looked. And I have been buying his frames at wally-world because they replace the frames free for an entire year, which means he gets 3-4 pairs of free frames (same lenses) every year because he breaks them every few months.

What you're doing sounds fine. IIRC the video really talked about glasses in general, not specifically lenses. For lenses I went through our optometrist's office. They needed a certain type of lens for dd, anyway. I couldn't get what I needed at zenni for her so I found out what brand the doctor's office carries. Then I saw that it was cheaper for me to order myself. I found a buy one get one half off coupon on facebook, too so I ordered hers and ds' there (Kids Bright Eyes). So I ordered the frames and brought them into the store. They were supposed to charge a fee for setting the lenses when you bring in your own frames, but they waived it.

His stuff is hit and miss. Some of his sources are just articles from the web. Some are academic. He's no different from anyone else purporting to give you the real story. Check his facts. Don't blindly accept everything he says. He has a tendency to use selective sources and leave out the whole story. That makes it enjoyable to watch him "ruin" stuff but doesn't make everything he says true.

• Like 5