Menu

What is your AoPS Pre-Alg teaching approach?

sweetpea3829

I sat down and opened the Pre-Al book tonight for the first time and...immediately felt overwhelmed, lol.

Dorothy, we aren't in Singapore anymore!  

It seems so...dry and wordy.  A far cry from the combination of Colorful Singapore and Beast Academy that has guided DS10 along for the past 5 years.  I'm not sure he's going to enjoy this jump.  

So what is your teaching approach?  How do you mesh the student workbook with the online resources such as Alcumus?  (I'm not even positive what Alcumus even IS).  What other online resources are really important to buddy with the Pre-Al book?  

DS needs to wrap up Beast 5 and thus, I have a bit of time...we'll probably jump in at the turn of the year.  

• Like 1

I was also quite nervous when I came face to face with the text for the first time!

Ds and i read the intro together one day, then I explained the daily plan for using the book:

During 45 minutes,

- attempt problems, ask for help if needed

- read problem solutions and compare/correct to work

- attempt exercises, ask for help if needed

- go over exercise solutions with mom and make corrections

- 15-30m alcumus later in the day

Typically, a section takes DS 2-3 days. Review sections take longer, and I'm saving the challenge problems to revisit every five chapters. (So when we finish chapter 5, we'll cycle back to challenge problems for ch 1-5.)

We're in chapter 4 and I have to say DS has risen to the challenge beautifully. He asks less often for help with each passing section. His timer is going off and he's asking for more time. He is starting to say he likes math!!!

Previous to starting, i had been "talking it up" about how great algebra and upper math is compared to arithmetic. Apparently he now agrees.

He's 10, entering 5th grade.

• Like 1

AoPS pre-algebra did not come out in time for my two oldest, but my youngest used it when she was 10.  Prior to AoPS, she used Singapore Standards along with CWP. 

I would guide my D through the lesson problems, with her working these problems out on our big whiteboard.  She would then complete the exercises on her own.  As a supplement, she also took the two online classes.  However, I don't think you would need any additional online resources: the book provides plenty of problems.

Good luck. 

Oh, thought of another thing. I had DS do SM5 by transferring the WB problems to a notebook, to help develop that skill of organizing work on a blank page, transferring problems without error, boxing his answers, etc.

This is what we are working on right now.  I am having DS practice this skill daily using the Hands on Equations word problem book and Zaccaro's Becoming a Problem Solving Genius.  My goal is for him to master neatly and correctly transferring problems from a book to a notebook, numbering his problems, showing all of his work in logical steps, circling his answers, and honestly comparing his work to the solutions in order to learn from his mistakes.

At the same time, I am working through AOPS Pre-A.  I am solving the problems very neatly in a notebook as an example for him...and so that the concepts (and tricks) are fresh in my mind so I am ready to coach/explain/encourage as necessary.

I expect DS will be ready to start Pre-A in 6-12 months (mid-3rd grade or beginning of 4th) once his handwriting matures a little, he is comfortable doing math in a notebook, and he has finished up Math Mammoth 6.

Wendy

• Like 4

My oldest - we read the lessons together working them on a whiteboard as we went. Then we did the exercises in our own notebooks, but still while sitting side by side. We stopped whenever we hit 45 min. That was usually about 2 days per section, 2 days for review, 1 day for challenge problems (we did not do all). The last 5? 6? chapters went much faster though.

This method works well for both of us. We have used it for both Intro to Alg and Geometry. She likes having me there (even though I'm often not allowed to talk...) and I have benefitted from a self ed standpoint.

Child #2 - We used the same method as oldest when we started AoPS last year. This year I plan to continue working through the teaching sections with him, but have him work the exercises alone. I don't expect him to be able to learn from the book independently until Algebra.

Neither child has used Alcumus, and we rarely watch the videos.

This is what we are working on right now.  I am having DS practice this skill daily using the Hands on Equations word problem book and Zaccaro's Becoming a Problem Solving Genius.  My goal is for him to master neatly and correctly transferring problems from a book to a notebook, numbering his problems, showing all of his work in logical steps, circling his answers, and honestly comparing his work to the solutions in order to learn from his mistakes.

At the same time, I am working through AOPS Pre-A.  I am solving the problems very neatly in a notebook as an example for him...and so that the concepts (and tricks) are fresh in my mind so I am ready to coach/explain/encourage as necessary.

I expect DS will be ready to start Pre-A in 6-12 months (mid-3rd grade or beginning of 4th) once his handwriting matures a little, he is comfortable doing math in a notebook, and he has finished up Math Mammoth 6.

Wendy

Yep, I'm glad I separated this skill out a math-year ahead of AOPS.  

• Like 1

We spent 2 years on it and our approached definitely evolved. At the beginning we read the text together and worked the problems together. He loved the videos, but st first didn't like alcumus. Flash forward to the end of the book. He was working completely independently, sometimes watching videos multiple times if needed and aggressively working toward badges in alcumus, with it set at the highest difficulty setting. He insisted that I order both intro to algebra and geometry for this year and the AOPS sweatshirt, which he wears with pride.

I'm so glad I didn't hurry him or worry about his page. He figured out how to do it in his own and it's now his favorite subject.

• Like 2

My ds started last spring in 6th. I gave him the book and a graph paper notebook and told him to let me know if he had problems or if he wanted me to grade something. I mentioned the videos, which we all watch together because they are fun. I've seen him do Alcumus, although I don't know if he always remembers that it is out there.

It has gone pretty well. Occasionally we discuss a problem that is giving him trouble, and since I've never done the book we are on pretty equal footing and can figure it out as partners. I do wish he were moving through it faster, but I've read the forum enough to know that I should just set those dreams aside!

I told him he could skip the challenge problems and work them in the summer, but then summer came and went. Now I'm thinking perhaps I'll adopt Monica's idea and have a 5 chapter lag. I need to go make a note of that somewhere...

With three kids doing math at the same time, I just can't give sole focus to any one person, but my "system" has been working for us.

We sit side by side and work through it with a graph book. Depending on the section he needs more or less guidance. Quite often I sit with him the whole time so I'm there if he gets stuck. Ds has ADHD and needs extra assistance because his brain get's off track and his working memory is not the best. I scaffold as much as he needs to be successful.

The beginning chapters were very variable as to how long they took. Now that we are nearly 2/3rds through each section takes about 1 day. We take 2 days at the end of the chapter to work on review questions and he does about 15 min a day of Alcumus that he is working for review behind where he is in the book.

Edited by soror

I sit next to my student and read out loud from the text.  I write out the problems and our attempts at solutions as my student dictates to me.  This way I can show good problem solving documentation, i.e., lining up my equal signs, no stream of consciousness equations, etc.  Then the students do the exercises on their own away from me.  They check the solutions against the answer key and I am called to help with any exercise solutions they didn't understand.  

We spend 1 day on each section of the chapter, and then 2-3 days each on Review and Challenge problems.  

We sit side by side and work through it with a graph book. Depending on the section he needs more or less guidance. Quite often I sit with him the whole time so I'm there if he gets stuck. Ds has ADHD and needs extra assistance because his brain get's off track and his working memory is not the best. I scaffold as much as he needs to be successful.

The beginning chapters were very variable as to how long they took. Now that we are nearly 2/3rds through each section takes about 1 day. We take 2 days at the end of the chapter to work on review questions and he does about 15 min a day of Alcumus that he is working for review behind where he is in the book.

I sit next to my student and read out loud from the text.  I write out the problems and our attempts at solutions as my student dictates to me.  This way I can show good problem solving documentation, i.e., lining up my equal signs, no stream of consciousness equations, etc.  Then the students do the exercises on their own away from me.  They check the solutions against the answer key and I am called to help with any exercise solutions they didn't understand.  

We spend 1 day on each section of the chapter, and then 2-3 days each on Review and Challenge problems.  

How long does it take to get through one full section in a day?  My ds takes about 40 minutes (variable, some sections are really long!) to attempt the problems and then read the text solutions.  He takes another 45 minutes (again, variable) to do exercises and then check them with me.  

• Like 1

Since the first section with the problems is about learning, I don't let that drag on too long.  If we can't get at a solution, we quickly move on to the solutions.  No need to struggle over the stuff that is being introduced for the first time.  I do let them struggle with the exercises.  

But I think others prefer the struggle with the problems, and that's probably a better approach and more discovery-minded.  We just don't want to spend too much time on that.  

Also, my kids aren't doing the problems independently.  I am there to guide them to the solutions, and when I'm really on the ball, I use Socratic questioning to lead them to the answer.  This is a big time-saver.  

Edited by daijobu
  • Like 2

How long does it take to get through one full section in a day?  My ds takes about 40 minutes (variable, some sections are really long!) to attempt the problems and then read the text solutions.  He takes another 45 minutes (again, variable) to do exercises and then check them with me.  

As of late it has been about an hour. 

He is not doing it on his own.

He is older (13) and some of it is review for him.

• Like 1

We decided to try a section before our official start day so it won't be brand new on the first day. This thread is very helpful! I had her do SM5 practice problems out of the textbook on notebook paper last year and I'm so glad! (She didn't appreciate my "back in my day....." reminders that we did math that way every day from 3rd grade on. haha)

Edited by kesmom