Menu

Book a Week 2017 - BW31: Adventurous August

Robin M

Yes, the ones about the cats. I actually love cats (we have three :) ), but I don't think the books are in any way even remotely related to how cats interact with each other. And all the stupid names - Kittypaw and such. Uggggh.

I suppose it was even worse in translation, I did not manage more then 5 pages...

• Like 7

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suppose it was even worse in translation, I did not manage more then 5 pages...

Yeah, I only got about 5 pages before I had to put it down. I'm not sure it could get any worse in translation? Some German friends tell me that Twilight was actually improved by translation because the prose was so clunky in English and the translation somewhat smoothed it out and made it more coherent...

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 11

And I had meant to add... I seem to be avoiding getting into the Warriors book for 'younger dd recommends' square.   It's the only one I have left to finish that row, so I really should read it.  I read the first chapter.  I find Imitation of Christ more readable and engaging.  Ugh, I don't wanna.  

Has anyone read any of the Warriors books themselves, and will I be able to get through it without my brain oozing out my ears?  At least it's fairly short??

And dd is sooooo happy I'm going to read her favorite book! 

I read the first Warriors book.  It was... predictable, slightly violent, and weird.  It had a real plot, though, so it wasn't horribly bad.  I never read any of the other millions in the series, though, nor do I want to.  My daughter was super happy I read the first one.

• Like 9

I read the first Warriors book.  It was... predictable, slightly violent, and weird.  It had a real plot, though, so it wasn't horribly bad.  I never read any of the other millions in the series, though, nor do I want to.  My daughter was super happy I read the first one.

Gak.  I shall attempt to persevere.  I guess this is what you get when you write books by committee (I'm sure you already know that there are three 'authors', none of whom share the name of the fictional alias on the cover.  It's some kind of assembly line - one plots/outlines, one writes, one edits, or something like that).  I would love to know how these can be so beloved by so many kids!  My dd has read all of the Warriors books and all of the Seekers by a similar but not identical committee (in spite of the identical name on the cover), and has since refused to read almost anything else.  :glare:

Meanwhile, my entry for 'book recommended by older dd' was a book of arcane poetry inspired by Greek myth.  How did I end up with such different kids? :lol:

• Like 11

Dh and I have been lately engaged in a pitched battle for Middle Girl's reading affections. Dh had been trying for years with Wodehouse, but she lost interest after a couple of books. He was disgusted by her reading the entire Aubrey/Maturin series, which I figured would go down well with a child who had devoured all the Swallows and Amazons books, and waited until he had her in his office without reading material to give her some Dorothy Dunnett, the first hit free of course. I cunningly waited until he was out of town this week and got her started on Kristin Lavransdatter, but she dropped volume 2 the moment he breezed back from Toronto with yet another book about Lymond, whoever that is.

I have a disadvantage since I'm in charge of her literary education and sometimes have to make her read things she wouldn't choose for leisure, so the evenings and car trips are stacked against me. Also I've run out of historical fiction, which seems to be her preference. I'm toying with introducing her to Balzac: the Comédie Humaine would last her through college. Trollope would be good, too; but probably not enough naval battles in either of them.

• Like 13

Dh and I have been lately engaged in a pitched battle for Middle Girl's reading affections. Dh had been trying for years with Wodehouse, but she lost interest after a couple of books. He was disgusted by her reading the entire Aubrey/Maturin series, which I figured would go down well with a child who had devoured all the Swallows and Amazons books, and waited until he had her in his office without reading material to give her some Dorothy Dunnett, the first hit free of course. I cunningly waited until he was out of town this week and got her started on Kristin Lavransdatter, but she dropped volume 2 the moment he breezed back from Toronto with yet another book about Lymond, whoever that is.

I have a disadvantage since I'm in charge of her literary education and sometimes have to make her read things she wouldn't choose for leisure, so the evenings and car trips are stacked against me. Also I've run out of historical fiction, which seems to be her preference. I'm toying with introducing her to Balzac: the Comédie Humaine would last her through college. Trollope would be good, too; but probably not enough naval battles in either of them.

Everything about this post made me smile.  :)

• Like 11

Oh, I have read many Warriors books. :001_rolleyes:  DD always wanted to discuss them. They're not so bad if you can get used to the obnoxious names and wording (seriously, the cats know all the names of various herbs and such but humans are still "two-legs" and spring is "green-leaf"?). Luckily DS started reading the series, plus DD made a Warriors-obsessed friend at camp, so she has other conversation partners and I'm now off the hook!  

Speaking of annoying wording, one of the books I finished since I last posted was The Edge of the Sky: All You Need to Know About the All-There-Is. It's an experimental book in which the author tries to explain astrophysics using only the 1000 most common words in the English language. For example, scientists are "student-people;" telescopes are "Big Seers." I did not enjoy this experiment. A librarian recommended it to DS after he was the only person under 65 to show up for a library talk about quantum physics. He's not sure whether to be insulted.

Currently I am staying caught up on War and Peace and The Story of Western Science. I am also rereading Good Omens, because someone mentioned it recently and jogged my memory. I think the last time I read it was around the time DS was born. Also reading-related, DH and I watched Bridge of Spies last night since we've both finished the book. Great book and great movie. 

• Like 12

But what do you suggest to help me undermine my husband?

ETA: I mean, of course, to help me encourage good reading habits in my child.

Given my fondness for Dunnett and Wodehouse, VC knows where I stand in this battle.

May I suggest some historical fiction for middle girl though? No naval battles and frightfully modern but Olivia Manning's six novels forming a series known as The Fortunes of War are brilliant portrayals of everyday people coping with non-everyday events. I am delighted to report that the NYRB has republished the series in two volumes, The Balkan Trilogy and The Levant Trilogy. The books focus on Harriet and Guy Pringle, the latter being an infuriating but adored academic.

And how old is Middle Girl now?  I am a fan of Susan Howatch's Starbridge Novels, described well in this blog post as featuring "sex, scandal and Christian theology". Howatch has also written family sagas that are modern retellings of the Plantagenets or Shakespearean plays.  The Rich are Different and Sins of the Fathers focus on captains of the American financial industry with amazing parallels to Shakespeare's Julius Caesar and Antony and Cleopatra. But again, frightfully modern books.

• Like 9

Given my fondness for Dunnett and Wodehouse, VC knows where I stand in this battle.

May I suggest some historical fiction for middle girl though? No naval battles and frightfully modern but Olivia Manning's six novels forming a series known as The Fortunes of War are brilliant portrayals of everyday people coping with non-everyday events. I am delighted to report that the NYRB has republished the series in two volumes, The Balkan Trilogy and The Levant Trilogy. The books focus on Harriet and Guy Pringle, the latter being an infuriating but adored academic.

And how old is Middle Girl now? I am a fan of Susan Howatch's Starbridge Novels, described well in this blog post as featuring "sex, scandal and Christian theology". Howatch has also written family sagas that are modern retellings of the Plantagenets or Shakespearean plays. The Rich are Different and Sins of the Fathers focus on captains of the American financial industry with amazing parallels to Shakespeare's Julius Caesar and Antony and Cleopatra. But again, frightfully modern books.

Middle Girl is 14 and shockingly puritanical, so I have to be careful with my reading recommendations not to offend her. The Howatch may have to wait, but the Manning novels sound interesting, and our Half Price or library probably have them. Many thanks!

• Like 9

Middle Girl is 14 and shockingly puritanical, so I have to be careful with my reading recommendations not to offend her. The Howatch may have to wait, but the Manning novels sound interesting, and our Half Price or library probably have them. Many thanks!

Hmmm..I may stand with you regarding Lymond.  There is a scene in (scratching head) maybe the third or fourth book that shocked me.  Not for the puritanical!

• Like 8

Would she like something like Woman in White or Lorna Doone?

(Not sure if it is Puritanical enough, but together with Northanger Abbey and Agnes Grey dd loved these books)

• Like 9

:party: My baby is 18 years old today!   So I guess I shouldn't call him a baby anymore.  :lol:   He's grown into a very interesting young man whose enthusiasm for life tests me daily.   :tongue_smilie:

Edited by Robin M
  • Like 14

This morning I finished reading If All the Swords in England by Barbara Willard.  I was pre-reading it for Fritz for next school year.  It wasn't quite as good as the previous two Willard books I read, but still good.  This one was about Thomas Becket and his exile and death while he was the Archbishop of Canterbury.

• Like 8

:party: My baby is 18 years old today! So I guess I shouldn't call him a baby anymore. :lol: He's grown into a very interesting young man whose enthusiasm for life tests me daily. :tongue_smilie:

Happy Birthday to him!

DD left today for an outdoor/adventure camp in canoe and full rain :)

(Although the rain is a little extra, not included in the camp price)

• Like 9

Hmmm..I may stand with you regarding Lymond. There is a scene in (scratching head) maybe the third or fourth book that shocked me. Not for the puritanical!

Good, thanks. I let dh know and he said he'd figure out which book and stop giving them to her before that one. He's pretty puritanical and protective himself, but sometimes he doesn't register a scene as inappropriate for younger readers.

Would she like something like Woman in White or Lorna Doone?

(Not sure if it is Puritanical enough, but together with Northanger Abbey and Agnes Grey dd loved these books)

She's read all of those - except Lorna Doone, which she started and quit - and recently informed me she was done with Collins, Austen and Brontës. She really like Wuthering Heights though.

:party: My baby is 18 years old today! So I guess I shouldn't call him a baby anymore. :lol: He's grown into a very interesting young man whose enthusiasm for life tests me daily. :tongue_smilie:

Happy birthday to him, and congratulations to you! Edited by Violet Crown
  • Like 9

:party: My baby is 18 years old today!   So I guess I shouldn't call him a baby anymore.  :lol:   He's grown into a very interesting young man whose enthusiasm for life tests me daily.   :tongue_smilie:

Happy Birthday to him!!!

She really like Wuthering Heights though.

I loved WH as a teen and reread it several times in my 20's. I was a bit surprised when I did a reread in my 40's.....that book definitely changed as I aged.

I have been happily reading The Magpie Murders and it sent me off on a rabbit trail of Agatha Christie publishing information which I thought others might enjoy. AC's grandson is a character in the book and it is mentioned that she gave him The Mousetrap for his 9th birthday......she did. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-20768657. Another interesting article is this one http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/books/features/the-big-question-how-big-is-the-agatha-christie-industry-and-what-explains-her-enduring-appeal-1631296.html

• Like 8

Happy birthday to your ds, and congrats on surviving the journey, Robin!  May his enthusiasm carry him through early adulthoond!

As I've noted in past years, August 5th is a terrific date for a birthday ;)

• Like 9

I also scored today at the library's 6-buck-a-bag sale. I picked up some Saramago, Zadie Smith, Coetzee, Patchett, LeGuin.  Oh, and Horrorstor, which I remember Stacia mentioning a while back. Lots of good Bingo stuff! I've got 82 Bingo books to go, not counting books in progress. I re-organized my Bingo Challenge shelf, I'm down to 114 choices to fill those 82 slots.  It's in horseshoe distance, at least! 

• Like 11

The library discard store was good to me today, too. I picked up Stevie Smith's novel - everyone remembers Smith, right? "Not waving but drowning"? - Novel on Yellow Paper, which is indeed printed on bright yellow paper. I've heard of it but never seen it before, and it was brand new. Also poet Randall Jarrell's translation of Goethe's Faust, Part One. Unlike Robin I am a selfish wretch and keeping both of these.

• Like 9

Violet,

Will your dd be into detectives?

Judge Dee, Father Brown, Sherlock Holmes, Agatha Christie?

Dd liked them to read during Freetime.

This year she takes Father Brown to every camp. (The complete sherlock holmes has also been travelled)

Her bedtime routine goes pretty quickly so she discovered she can read one or more stories before the remainder of the girls is ready...

• Like 8

I also scored today at the library's 6-buck-a-bag sale. I picked up some Saramago, Zadie Smith, Coetzee, Patchett, LeGuin. Oh, and Horrorstor, which I remember Stacia mentioning a while back. Lots of good Bingo stuff! I've got 82 Bingo books to go, not counting books in progress. I re-organized my Bingo Challenge shelf, I'm down to 114 choices to fill those 82 slots. It's in horseshoe distance, at least!

Saramago is on my TBR list. What book or books did you score?

• Like 6

I got The Elephant's Journey.  I have a mixed track record with Saramago. I liked Blindness, The Gospel According to Jesus Christ, and Cain, but I've abandoned Seeing and All the Names. I have a few others on my TR list too.

You are way ahead of me. The ones that were recommended to me are Journey to Portugal, In Pursuit of Portugal's History and Culture; The Year of the Death of Ricardo Reis; and Baltasar and Blimunda.

Hmmm...examining a list of his prolific work, I think that it is safe to say that the ones recommended to me are less controversial books.

• Like 7

I got The Elephant's Journey.  I have a mixed track record with Saramago. I liked Blindness, The Gospel According to Jesus Christ, and Cain, but I've abandoned Seeing and All the Names. I have a few others on my TR list too.

You are way ahead of me. The ones that were recommended to me are Journey to Portugal, In Pursuit of Portugal's History and Culture; The Year of the Death of Ricardo Reis; and Baltasar and Blimunda.

Hmmm...examining a list of his prolific work, I think that it is safe to say that the ones recommended to me are less controversial books.

I actually read The Elephant's Journey earlier this year......I will be totally honest and admit I was rather desperate for an "E" book at the time. That being said overall I enjoyed it. Parts were quite interesting.

• Like 7