Menu

Traveling through CO - what can I see where?

StaceyinLA

We will be going up through CO, coming from NM, and heading to Casper, WY. It looks like we'll travel through (or near - we will be on the interstate) Pueblo, Colorado Springs, Denver, and Fort Collins. Any must-sees in those areas that aren't too far off the interstate and welcome dogs (or at least have places we can park in shade and leave car running with a/c on for a short time - we'd be able to lock it).

Edited by StaceyinLA

It's a shame you'll be driving through Colorado but staying on I-25 without making any excursions into the mountains.

Yes I know it is, and I might change up the route to do that, but I'm not sure - it adds a lot of time driving and we will really need the stops to get out, especially with the dogs. Since our end stop is Seattle, I plan to see plenty of mountains. I know it's not the same, but we really just want to see what we can without adding too much time/driving to the already 40-hr trip.

Colorado is killing me. There are a LOT of neat things to do, and we just won't have a lot of time. I'm thinking we'll do these stops around Colorado Springs, then we are thinking of stopping in the Fort Collins area because it'll be a good distance for us to make another stop.

Fort Collins is a great city for dogs.  Many of the restaurants allow for dogs on their patios.  You can takes dogs and minor children to most breweries too.  All of the outdoor areas in Front Range Village are dog friendly and there's a fenced dog park.  Not the best for seeing anything cool and I think other than Doug's and Cafe Athens it's all national chain restaurants, but might not be a bad place to stretch your legs and let the dog run too. It's a pretty quick drive from the highway.  We like to drive Hwy 14 and stop along the river.

Rocky Mountain National Park is a fun place to visit, but it's about an hour off I-25.  You can your dog into the park, but not on the trails.

Fort Collins is a great city for dogs. Many of the restaurants allow for dogs on their patios. You can takes dogs and minor children to most breweries too. All of the outdoor areas in Front Range Village are dog friendly and there's a fenced dog park. Not the best for seeing anything cool and I think other than Doug's and Cafe Athens it's all national chain restaurants, but might not be a bad place to stretch your legs and let the dog run too. It's a pretty quick drive from the highway. We like to drive Hwy 14 and stop along the river.

Rocky Mountain National Park is a fun place to visit, but it's about an hour off I-25. You can your dog into the park, but not on the trails.

Thank you! We are definitely planning to stop in Fort Collins and waste a little time. I guess how much depends on how much we do in Colorado Springs (and the list is getting quite long). Looking at the map, Fort Collins looks really neat. I'm super excited about the brewery visits, but I won't be able to imbibe because I'll be driving.

in Colorado Springs - i'd seriously make the effort to go to Garden of the Gods.

http://gardenofgods.com/

We are definitely planning to do this unless the crowds prohibit it. Apparently there have been record crowds there this summer. I hope they're all back to school or something by the time we drive through! ;-p Edited by StaceyinLA

I-25 is the armpit of the state.  But there are a lot of side-trips or short-back-road routes you could take instead that won't slow you down too much.  

I'm not just picking on I-25--it's pretty much the truth about any I-your highway number here.  

Just as an example, you could get off I-25 and go through Broomfield, Lafayette and go up US-287 to Fort Collins.  It is a much prettier drive and won't cost you THAT much time.

Yeah, my least favorite place in Colorado is I-25. Everything I can think of to suggest would require a detour off of it except Garden of the Gods. It's too bad Viestenz-Smith mountain park just up the road from Loveland near the Dam Store was destroyed in the floods a few years ago. I loved that park.

If Garden of the God's is too busy and you miss, you can go to Red Rocks which is of C470.  It would add a bit to drive but it is very pretty as well so you'd still get to see the red rocks.  You could have lunch in Morrison, there are several restaurants there where you could eat on patio with dog.

• Like 1

I-25 is the armpit of the state. But there are a lot of side-trips or short-back-road routes you could take instead that won't slow you down too much.

I'm not just picking on I-25--it's pretty much the truth about any I-your highway number here.

Just as an example, you could get off I-25 and go through Broomfield, Lafayette and go up US-287 to Fort Collins. It is a much prettier drive and won't cost you THAT much time.

I might consider that just for that shorter leg of the trip. We just can't afford to do that everywhere or we'd be on the roads for a week! I would LOVE to do much more sightseeing, but we just don't have much time. We really considered driving through the mountains once we got past Denver, but it adds at least 4 hours to that day, and with 40 hours of driving total, I'm not up for it. I will definitely look at this though - seems doable and we'd at least get to see something nicer.

So where would I get off I-25? Would that be before or after we would exit for GOTG? Could I do that leaving GOTG headed to Ft. Collins?

120th. North of Denver. Go west a few miles and in broomfield go north on 287.

That can't put me on there for long then - isn't Fort Collins only about an hour and a half past Denver? That might be perfect just to be able to do a little extra sightseeing without adding lots of time.

Rocky Mountain National Park! Right next to Estes Park. That place is AMAZING!

If I had one place to go, I would also head to Rocky Mountain national park. It is amazing. It too may be crowded and some of the sites in the park can't accommodate large amounts of traffic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rocky Mountain is amazing.  It's a under 2 hours from Denver and, for right now, and 1.5 from Ft. Collins.  But double check when you go. The shortest way from Fort Collins is Hwy 34, but 34 was wiped out during the flood in 2013.  It's been opened for tourist season and closed or down to one lane during other parts of the year.  You can get there via 36 too.  Just check the CDOT website before your route it out!

If I had one place to go, I would also head to Rocky Mountain national park. It is amazing. It too may be crowded and some of the sites in the park can't accommodate large amounts of traffic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are dogs welcome there? I feel like we looked it up and the route from Denver to Casper, WY that included that was a LOT longer, like it would add several hours to our trip that day. Is it really worth it? Would it be worth skipping everything else to go that route? Edited by StaceyinLA