Menu

Happy November! Can we start talking about Thanksgiving?

Is it at your house, or are you travelling?

(I'm hosting this year. But it won't be the same since my husband will be out of town for a Thanksgiving Day football game)

Are you cooking? Everything or just a few things?

(I am cooking, but not everything. I'll be taking care of the appetizers, the turkey, dressing, cranberry sauce, and the rolls)

What is your all-time favorite Thanksgiving food?

(I love a turkey sandwich with cranberry sauce on a pumpkin roll for breakfast the day after.)

Will you be making the famous WTPumpkin Knot Rolls?

(Of course! They are a vital part of my all-time favorite!)

Do you have a recipe to share that you think no Thanksgiving table should be without?

(This is the best cranberry sauce I've ever eaten.)

At home or traveling? We'll be at home this year and, as of this moment, there is no family coming in. I've been toying with the idea of doing a big potluck Thanksgiving with 3 other Homeschooling families we are close to, if they don't have plans. I should probably get on that, huh?

Are you cooking? As of this moment I'm cooking everything.

Favorite food? Most definitely the next day turkey sandwich paired with the gobs of sweet potato casserole that my crazy family doesn't eat.

I have just learned about the knot rolls (thanks to your post), and now I will HAVE TO make a plan to include them. YUMMY!

Sadly, I am NOT the person from whom you would want to receive recipes.

Thanks for starting this thread!

Ex has dd for Thanksgiving this year, so most likely, I'll be over there. I'll most likely bring a dish or two to contribute, but I'm not sure what that would be right now.

I am going to try those rolls and cranberry sauce, though!

I forgot to add: my favorite food is the mashed sweet potatoes and pecan pie.

It's at Mom's (i don't cook big meals on my birthday), my grandmother is supposed to be in town too!! DH will be out of town hunting, that will be nice actually.

Hopefully nothing - but if she asks i'll make something. I think my kids are making me a birthday cake.

mashed potatoes. All is good if that is all that turns out!

Probably not - i don't like/eat pumpkin. I'll send my mom the recipe! (i haven't looked at it)

Do you have a recipe to share that you think no Thanksgiving table should be without?

Hmmm, not yet! LOL!! We are pretty basic around here.

It's at my father-in-law's house. He's 89 so we do everything there for ease for him. He lives about 10 minutes away though so it isn't really traveling. The rest of the family lives here or close. I'm an only child so my parents join in and we all are together which makes things easy and nice.

Not sure. It will probably be a combo of me and SIL cooking. Other SIL cleans up but hates to cook. BIL likes doing big things of meat so may do the turkey, but I'm not sure if he is coming yet.

Mashed potatoes on that day. For leftovers turkey sandwiches...must be on white bread (think Wonder or Sunbeam) with mayo and salt. It's the taste of nostalgia.

Never heard of them until now. They look good. I actually have half a can of pumpkin in the fridge...I may have to try these next week as a test run.

This is a great recipe for Thanksgiving or Christmas. We usually use it as an appetizer although I think it's also good on turkey or ham. It's adapted from a recipe in the 2005 Woman's Day. They recommended making tree shaped chips out of green tortillas to serve with it. I did that the first year but decided not worth it after that. :)

Cranberry Salsa

1 bag (12 oz) fresh or frozen cranberries (no need to thaw)

1 Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored and chopped

1/2 large red bell pepper

1/2 medium red onion

3/4 cup sugar

1/3 cup cranberry juice

3 Tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro (I sometimes leave out if I don't have it.)

1 jalepno pepper, chopped

1 tsp grated lime zest

Put cranberries, apple, red pepper and onion in a food processor; pulse until chopped. Transfer to a large glass bowel. Stir in remaining ingredients until blended. Cover and refigerate.

I don't know yet. There are some extended family issues and there is a good chance my parents will come here instead of us all meeting in KS at my Grandma's house.

If my parents come here, dh will cook the turkey and my mom & I will make everything else. If we go to Grandma's, I'll likely get to spread the peanut butter on the celery.

My mom's dressing. Or Grandma's rolls.

Possibly. I've made them once already this year.

Yes, but I don't have the oomph to hunt it down right now. It's my mom's dressing. It's delicious!

Is it at your house, or are you traveling?

I'll be traveling. We always go to Gatlinburg, TN for Thanksgiving. We meet my family there for a mini vacation.

No. We will be eating Thanksgiving dinner at the "Dixie Stampede" near Dollywood.

Country Ham

No.:001_huh:

4 Heaping Scoops of Love

3 Dashes of Laughter

2 Kisses

1 Hug

Mix all together and enjoy!

nt

We get together with three other families in town, and it's someone else's turn to host this year.

I'm cooking some sides. And then on Saturday I'm cooking a whole feast for our own little family, 'cause we love Thanksgiving food!

Turkeybreastsimpleherbedstuffingmashedpotatoesgravygreenbeanscranberryrelishandredwine, followed by pumpkinpiepecanpiewhippedcreamandcoffee :D

Nope, 'cause one of our feasting families is a master baker, and 'cause when I do our own feast, the one thing I never have managed is making the rolls. Just one too many from-scratch things! I'm putting this recipe in the mix for the following week, though....

Nope. All of our Thanksgiving foods are pretty basic and well-known, and besides I think everyone should have whatever THEIR must-have food is, on their Thanksgiving table.

Not at my house, not traveling too far. We're probably either going to celebrate Thanksgiving at Grandma's (30 minutes away), at dh's Aunt's (20 minutes away), or could even be at dh's Uncle's (1 hour and a half away).

I'm making Scalloped Corn, my signature dish. If dh's aunt is not there, I'll throw in some dessert as well.

Roasted butternut squash (with thyme -- mmm..).

I didn't know about them until today! Looks delicious.

Guest Virginia Dawn

Since my parents divorced, it is always at my house. My dad comes for the week. Mom comes at Christmas. This will be the first year without my dd and grandson. :-(

I cook everything. Dad brings lots of stuff though- butternut squash from his garden, and extra groceries.

There is something about the combination of flavors in turkey, gravy, stuffing, and cranberry sauce, I couldn't pick just one thing. I also adore pumpkin pie with real whipped cream.

I haven't decided yet. I did make them once and they were great.

Our dinner will be pretty traditional, but I did freeze green tomato mincemeat earlier in fall.(the recipe was a conglomerate of recipes I found on the net) I will make a pie with this because my dad likes mincemeat. I hope it turns out ok. My kids think the thanksgiving table has to have little dishes of olives and gherkins on it.

At my house. We have a dear friend over every year (sometimes others as well).

I typically cook everything except the mashed potatoes which are brought by the above mentioned dear friend. Much of the dinner is prepared beforehand and baked on Thanksgiving day.

Hmmm. I'd say it's a toss up between cheesy broccoli and rice, sweet potatoes w/pineapple and marshmallows, and pie (apple and pumpkin) w/whipped cream. I think pie wins.

I have completely missed this recipe. Will look into it.

Cheesy broccoli and rice (We don't do green bean casserole.)

1 onion, finely chopped

4 oz sliced mushrooms

2 T butter

3 C cooked white rice (about 1 C uncooked. Wild rice is also very good.)

1 16oz pkg frozen broccoli

1 can cream of mushroom soup

1 large jar Cheese Whiz

In a large saucepan, sauté onion and mushrooms in butter until soft. Stir in rice, broccoli, soup, and cheese. Bake in a casserole dish at 350* for 30 minutes. Serves 10-12.

At our house. We manage an 55+ RV park. Quite a few of the residents don't have anywhere to go for Thanksgiving so we are planning a Thanksgiving dinner potluck.

I'll be making a couple of turkeys and the gravy. Everyone else will bring the sides and desserts.

Everything! We had brussel sprouts for the first time last year. They were so yummy! I love the sweet potatoes, the mashed potatoes and gravy, even the canned cranberry sauce. I better stop. I'm starting to drool.

Nope. I'm a rebel.

I brined the turkey a couple of years ago and I don't think I'll ever cook another turkey without soaking in it brine first.

It's at my house this year. We're having the 5 of us, my mom (who lives with us), my sister and her husband and kids (they're divorcing and none of the kids know it yet....this should be fun, huh?) And my sister's mil, who is none too happy with my sister this year :glare:

I'll be cooking everything, but due to eating allergies, my sister will bring her own food. My niece and nephew only eat dinner rolls or pastina, so she'll bring that too. Oh, and my bil gets sick on turkey. Other than that.... :glare:

Turkey, stuffing, and cranberry sauce -- all on the fork together. Yum!

I've never tried them before. I'm looking for something new to make this year; maybe I'll try these! Thanks!

Not a recipe, but it wouldn't be Thanksgiving without our homemade tree of thanks that we make every year! Well, that, the deep-fried turkey, and the big bottle of Arbor Mist Cranberry Twist wine! :D

*It is at our place. Dh is a graduate student and both of our families live too far away for us to travel to them for Thanksgiving. This year my in-laws are coming for the week. We also plan to invite some neighbors who are sticking around.

*We'll be cooking everything. When mil is at home she cooks Thanksgiving dinner for her extended family and doesn't really enjoy it. Since dh and I both enjoy cooking, it is our gift to her not to have to do any cooking.

*Does favorite imply I can only choose one?:D Mashed potatoes and gravy. (Mostly gravy.) Stuffing. Cranberry sauce. Oh, and the rolls that I helped my grandmother make when I was a little girl. In addition to being heavenly with dinner, they make the best leftover turkey sandwiches. The problem is, they've never worked when I've made them by myself. Last year, my aunt (who has taken over all holiday meals on that side of the family) came here for Thanksgiving and brought the rolls with her!

*They sound good, but I'm going to try to get Grandma's rolls right this year!

*We frequently try new recipes so I don't have any specific recipes that have to be made every year.