Menu

Name on the diploma

Daria

DS18 was adopted as a newborn.  His adoption decree, birth certificate, and social security card all say:

Firstname Middlename Lastname

This is also the name on any records from when he was in public school, and his ACT and PSAT scores.

But his baptismal certificate says 

Firstname Middlename Firstnamefrombirthmother Lastname

Day to day he goes by a nickname from the firstname that I gave him.   If you asked him what is full name is, he'd include both middle names.

Anyway, I'm ordering his diploma from our umbrella organization.  I'd love to put both middle names on it, but I'm wondering if we'll run into problems having a name on the diploma being different from the name on the other official documents.  

DS18 was adopted as a newborn.  His adoption decree, birth certificate, and social security card all say:

Firstname Middlename Lastname

This is also the name on any records from when he was in public school, and his ACT and PSAT scores.

But his baptismal certificate says 

Firstname Middlename Firstnamefrombirthmother Lastname

Day to day he goes by a nickname from the firstname that I gave him.   If you asked him what is full name is, he'd include both middle names.

Anyway, I'm ordering his diploma from our umbrella organization.  I'd love to put both middle names on it, but I'm wondering if we'll run into problems having a name on the diploma being different from the name on the other official documents.  

The truth is that a high school diploma really isn't an official document. He is unlikely to have to produce it for anyone, anyway.

Furthermore, most women change their names when they get married, and many women are married more than once, so it is not likely that the names they have when they are 50 are the names they had when they graduated from high school.

So, I say put the name on there that is most meaningful to him.

I think it's good to wonder these things before acting. It's always easier to not do something than to undo it, right? :) I agree with grace, and don't foresee an issue with it.

When I got married I kept my maiden name and simply added my husband's name behind it. Not legally, mind you. I legally kept my maiden name (only). But all on my own I just started using my husband's name with it. I was born Rosika XYZ and started presenting myself as Rosika XYZ MNO (no hyphen). My college degrees have both names on it, even though none of my other government IDs or documents do - they're all still just under my maiden name alone (Rosika XYZ). It's never presented an issue. I've been hired and have even returned for another degree without any problems.

You're adding a name to what has been documented as his name. You're not switching out names or eliminating names. I'd guess you're in the clear.

a baptismal certificate is NOT a legal document. for purposes of future education, employment or other legal matters - it is irrelevant.

homogeneity among legal documents is important.  not sure how much a high school diploma might mean - but when 2dd graduated from grad school - two months after getting married - it was made clear to her that to avoid A LOT of hassle, keep her maiden name.  at least until she had received all of her professional licenses.   there wouldn't be the hassle of using school transcripts/diplomas when doing testing and having a different name.

having his hs diploma with a different name than other school records can create hassle with college admissions.  I wouldn't do it.

eta: adding a middle name - makes a different name.  all those forms that ask "have you been known by a different name" - include with or without middle name.  or with/without two middle names. different spellings, nicknames, etc.

Edited by gardenmom5

I think he might have to show it at some point - I've had to show mine - such as when I had to dig it out in order to be allowed to homeschool. (I almost got snippy and sent my graduate diploma instead, but then I found the hs one and decided to be mature.)

But I don't think adding a middle name will be a problem long term on a document that isn't government issued. Put the name that he feels connected with on the diploma.

a baptismal certificate is NOT a legal document. for purposes of future education, employment or other legal matters - it is irrelevant.

homogeneity among legal documents is important.  not sure how much a high school diploma might mean - but when 2dd graduated from grad school - two months after getting married - it was made clear to her that to avoid A LOT of hassle, keep her maiden name.  at least until she had received all of her professional licenses.   there wouldn't be the hassle of using school transcripts/diplomas when doing testing and having a different name.

having his hs diploma with a different name than other school records can create hassle with college admissions.  I wouldn't do it.

eta: adding a middle name - makes a different name.  all those forms that ask "have you been known by a different name" - include with or without middle name.  or with/without two middle names. different spellings, nicknames, etc.

The bolded made me want to comment.   The US federal government does allow baptismal certificates as id for some benefits and documents.    Not that this has any bearing on the op's decision, I just wanted to share.  I'd have no idea myself if not for the fostering we did a couple of years ago.  

Edited by Artichoke

The bolded made me want to comment.   The US federal government does allow baptismal certificates as id for some benefits and documents.    Not that this has any bearing on the op's decision, I just wanted to share.  I'd have no idea myself if not for the fostering we did a couple of years ago.  

it can also depend upon the uptight gov't bureaucrat doing the deciding . . . .I was grateful for a friend who also worked there shoving the one with the piece of rebar up his behind and taking over . . .

• Like 1

my father had different names on his birth certificate and his baptismal certificate. He always used his baptismal certificate, as that is the name he actually used. 

OP: my name is misspelled on my high school diploma. I have added and dropped names a few times over the years. I also use a name that is not my legal name in my daily life ( first and last). I have not yet had any legal issues, expect for changing my maiden last name to my married last name. actually got booted out of the DMV today. Again. Grr. 

Edited by desertstrawberry5

I have never had to show anyone my diploma and hope I never do... it was lost in a house fire in 1988. I could get a transcript if I needed one. (which worries me for my kids... they will have no place to replace a transcript if they need one in, say, 20 years)

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk