Menu

HS math question

I would love someone to give me some honest suggestions about math for my kiddo.  

DS, 10th grade in the fall.  Hates math.  Can do it, but slowly.  He did algebra(7th grade) fine, but didn't feel confident, did a review class online(8th grade), got an A.  Moved on to geometry this year and did fine.  Griped the entire way, but he gets the concepts and can explain it to me.   We live in a testing state....math score was low.  He also did CogAT...quantitative(math) was low.  Was planning Alg. 2 in the fall. 

I get kids have a bent to math or they don't.  My kid tested ok except in math.  On these standardized tests he doesn't work fast enough.  He is constantly worried about the time left.  

So do I just accept he won't ever do well on those tests and just do Alg. 2 in the fall as planned?  (planning myhomeschoolmathclass)

Or do I repeat some math in hopes he gets better at the skills so future college tests like ACT/SAT have better scores?    

DS wants to go into outdoor stuff(environmental), with the goal being a park ranger.  Science degrees are going to have math required beyond the basics.   

Any advice, suggestions on math for this kid?  

Was the score low because he didn't finish?  If so, all you've learned from the testing about his math abilities is that he is slow.  And speed is definitely something to work on, but it isn't the whole deal.

If he got an A the second time through Algebra I and he did well in geometry, I see no reason that he shouldn't move to Algebra II.  But I would really try to select a resource that will work for him (and maybe you have) and be willing to switch early on if necessary.  Also, be sure either you or another human is available to help him if he needs it.

I'd work on ACT/SAT test taking skills (including speed) as a separate issue.

Edited by EKS
  • Like 5

On these standardized tests he doesn't work fast enough. He is constantly worried about the time left.

For my younger who is slower at reading but not computing, we set a timer for a minute per question for math during test prep. Constantly worrying about time left is likely slowing your son down more because anxiety builds up.

After a few math sections of using the minute timer on my phone/iPad/kindle, we did the 15 mins countdown and 5 mins countdown thing. My kid wanted to know when he has 15 mins left so that he can bubble through. 5 mins left so he can check everything is in order and to bubble last minute guesses since there is no wrong answer penalty for ACT and SAT.

I won't repeat math but I would do test prep.

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 2

I would love someone to give me some honest suggestions about math for my kiddo.

DS, 10th grade in the fall. Hates math. Can do it, but slowly. He did algebra(7th grade) fine, but didn't feel confident, did a review class online(8th grade), got an A. Moved on to geometry this year and did fine. Griped the entire way, but he gets the concepts and can explain it to me. We live in a testing state....math score was low. He also did CogAT...quantitative(math) was low. Was planning Alg. 2 in the fall.

I get kids have a bent to math or they don't. My kid tested ok except in math. On these standardized tests he doesn't work fast enough. He is constantly worried about the time left.

So do I just accept he won't ever do well on those tests and just do Alg. 2 in the fall as planned? (planning myhomeschoolmathclass)

Or do I repeat some math in hopes he gets better at the skills so future college tests like ACT/SAT have better scores?

DS wants to go into outdoor stuff(environmental), with the goal being a park ranger. Science degrees are going to have math required beyond the basics.

Any advice, suggestions on math for this kid?

I don't have any advice; I'm hoping to learn something from this thread.This is going to be my Ds12 in a couple of years. He did fine in Algebra I this year as a 7th grader, but it took him forever to do a lesson like it always takes him forever to do math. When I say forever, I mean 3 hours for a lesson that he understands just fine. We are doing Algebra 1 again in 8th grade hoping that it helps him go faster. I think he would do fine on an untimed ACT test in a couple years. I do not think he will do well at all on a timed test. 60 problems in 60 minutes will be impossible for him, even if he gets significantly faster than he is now. Edited by Meriwether

Following. DS has the same career path in mind and has similar math issues. You might want to look at the Environmental Program at Brevard College (Brevard, NC). They have a testing (ACT/SAT) optional admissions policy, as well as two different degree tracks for Environmental Studies: 1) a B.S. - science-focused and 2) a B.A. - more humanities-focused.

Is it concepts or speed? 

If he has a good grasp of the concepts but he needs more speed, then look at doing some drill work.  That is one thing many like about Saxon, there are so many problems per lesson that you can use them for time practice

If he needs help with the concepts, then you might consider another curriculum.  Try using a placement test to see where he has gaps in his understanding.  Youngest dd switched to MUS for Pre-Calculus and had many "aha" moments.  Concepts began to come together for her.  She was doing the problems well before in another curriculum, but after the switch to MUS, she really got the "why" of the problem.  Oldest did Saxon but switched to Lial's for pre-Calculus and the same thing happened, many "aha" moments.  Sometimes it just takes hearing something from a different perspective. 

• Like 1

I'd work on ACT/SAT test taking skills (including speed) as a separate issue.

:iagree: This.  I have a math degree and I was this kind of math kid too.  My oldest kid is as well.  We actually rolled some ACT math prep into our daily math work and that has made a WORLD of difference in his ability to do math much better on a standardized test.  He took the ACT 8th and 9th grade and his math score was +8 between these 2 years and I had him do Alg 2 both those years.  I think he could have moved on but he started algebra super early and there are downsides to racing through math too fast (like getting too far beyond ACT math before being fully college ready).  The other thing I noticed when he took the ACT in 8th was his lowest math scores were actually in PRE-algebra.  He just needed to keep those skills up and the terminology in his head.

Being mathy doesn't necessarily always equate to being fast and accurate on a timed test.  I would move on with the concepts but keep that rolling review problem solving practice going.  This is a nice book to do a little practice every day. 

https://www.amazon.com/Math-Questions-Know-Mcgraw-Hills/dp/0071820175/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1498946965&sr=8-1&keywords=mc-graw+hill+math+ACT+prep

• Like 4

thank you for your input.  We are going to go ahead with Algebra 2 in the fall, do some basic drill work as well, and work on getting over the timed issues.  At this point, we will plan on 2 years for Algebra 2, whether doing 2 online classes or 2 curriculums, so it's solid.  I know the drill will help.  Appreciate it, thanks!  I needed others to convince me not to freak out :laugh:

• Like 2

thank you for your input.  We are going to go ahead with Algebra 2 in the fall, do some basic drill work as well, and work on getting over the timed issues.  At this point, we will plan on 2 years for Algebra 2, whether doing 2 online classes or 2 curriculums, so it's solid.  I know the drill will help.  Appreciate it, thanks!  I needed others to convince me not to freak out :laugh:

Be sure to cover some Statistics along the way which will be useful as a life skill.