Menu

Joining Girl Scouts at 12?

Mrs_JWM

I know it might be harder to make friends in an established troop, but she's a friendly kid. Plus, we have a number of friends in scouting, so she can ask around and see what their troops do.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Absolutely! After much prodding from me, dd finally joined a troop last year at 11. Turns out to be one of the best things she ever did. After the first meeting, she came home all smiles. Turns out there were three other girls her same age, and all were reading her current fave novel series. They even went on to write a screenplay based off the series for one of their badges. The girls all knew each other from school and previous scouting experience, but they welcomed dd with open arms.

I think with Boy Scouts there's a more regimented approach to "ranks." But a girl could join at 17 and still earn a Gold Award (GS's highest girl award). It would be difficult, but doable. I don't think that's possible in Boy Scouts (i.e. Join at 17 and reach Eagle rank).

I skipped Brownies in primary school and joined Girl Guides in secondary school at 7th grade. As an alumni, I joined the Trefoil Guild. I learned guitar from my girl guide friends as my coy owns many guitars for campfire singing.

Hope your daughter have fun.

We had a girl join our troop last year at age 11. The other girls have been in the troop since kindergarten. It worked out great! She was welcomed right into the troop. We have another girl transferring in this year. She was in a troop, but moved. Our girls are starting their silver awards this year. One thing that might be a logistical issue, but will he easy to work out is if the troop already completed their journey last year. The journey needs to be completed before work on the silver can begin. Your daughter can complete the journey on her own. You might want to find that out so you can begin to work on it if that is the case. Our girl who is transferring in is working on the journey steps we finished this summer so she can jump right in with us in August.

Feel free to PM me with any questions. I am a troop leader of a troop at that age.

• Like 1

We had a girl join our troop last year at age 11. The other girls have been in the troop since kindergarten. It worked out great! She was welcomed right into the troop. We have another girl transferring in this year. She was in a troop, but moved. Our girls are starting their silver awards this year. One thing that might be a logistical issue, but will he easy to work out is if the troop already completed their journey last year. The journey needs to be completed before work on the silver can begin. Your daughter can complete the journey on her own. You might want to find that out so you can begin to work on it if that is the case. Our girl who is transferring in is working on the journey steps we finished this summer so she can jump right in with us in August.

Feel free to PM me with any questions. I am a troop leader of a troop at that age.

Yes, this would be one of the only issues, but it's easy to do the Journey at home. I also believe that you need to complete a Bronze and Silver Award before allowed to work on your Gold award, in certain areas. So I'd check to see if your Council has that rule so she can work on earning the Bronze award during the summer.

Yes, this would be one of the only issues, but it's easy to do the Journey at home. I also believe that you need to complete a Bronze and Silver Award before allowed to work on your Gold award, in certain areas. So I'd check to see if your Council has that rule so she can work on earning the Bronze award during the summer.

I'm not sure this is correct. For Gold Award, from the website:

Prerequisites

The requirements for applying to earn your Girl Scout Gold Award are simple.

You must:

Be in 9th, 10th, 11th, or 12th grades

Be a registered Girl Scout Senior or Ambassador

Have completed two Senior or Ambassador Journeys OR have earned the Girl Scout Silver Award and completed one Journey

Edited to add link:

https://www.girlscouts.org/gogoldonline/

Edited by unsinkable
  • Like 1