Menu

Crying With DS

MommyLiberty5013

We received word yesterday that our friends of five years since we moved here from out of state are moving out of state at the end of the summer. I had my cry yesterday.

Today I told the kids. As I suspected, the news had the greatest impact on DS (my eldest who is a new 7). Their son who is his age, and mine have been pals these past years. The majority of DS's life has been spent knowing this friend.

Plus, he's got a tender heart. He cried pretty heartily, which made me cry. I just validated his feelings and asked if he had any questions. Overall it went smoothly. He likes to journal so he may do that (but now he's playing (good)).

I'm hoping they can write each other. So tough. It pained me to watch him face this loss.

Any advice?

You did the right thing by affirming his feelings. It's going to be tough when his pal moves.

Between now and then, perhaps you can take strides to get to know some of your and his acquaintances better

so you both won't feel at complete loss when your friends move.

• Like 2

Here's my thread from 1.5 years ago. It was really hard. It still is hard. But we visited them in February (the whole family!) and it was great and very healing. 

My friends skype with them frequently still. And we work on thankfulness - few people get the blessing of such a friendship.

And cry. Because the friendship is good. And don't draw back before you have to.

Emily

It is hard. One of my closest friends moved 130 miles away last summer when her DH took a church up there. I love the community they live in and the church is a perfect fit.....but I still don't like it.

I have been able to drive up there several times and have seen her quite a few times. We try to talk on the phone about once a week.

It is still hard.