Menu

Reliable dishwasher? Is there one out there?

I have a Kenmore Elite that has been very unreliable. I have to hand fill it since it has stopped pumping water into the dishwasher :glare:.

We use our dishwasher a lot since we are a good sized family and I cook from scratch.

I have checked consumer reports, and I am not sure about their results. It looks like all of the top dishwasher are problematic. I don't want to spend $1000 + on a dishwasher, but I do want stainless interior and exterior (to match our stove).

It looks like the Bosh is unreliable, and there are reports of a sewage smell. I won't buy a Kenmore again, how about the Kitchenaid?

The repairman that was here several times a year told me that there is no good brand anymore, that all dishwashers are problematic. Is this true?

Help me ladies.

I bought one in San Jose and used it without problems for 5 or 6 years before I moved to Texas. I replaced the Kenmore in the house for a Whirlpool (I just like the Whirlpool features better) about 3 years ago, and still have had not a single problem.

Both were middle-of-the-line machines.

I know you don't want another one but....

We bought a Kenmore Elite but made by Bosch about 4 months ago. It is stainless in and out, and it's fabulous. Apparently the quietest DW Sears carries, which was important to us as we have a rather open plan main floor and we couldn't hear ourselves speak above our old DW!

Like most/all European models, it doesn't have a food grinder (regulations over there, I was told) but rather a trap. In the four months I've had it, I've removed one olive pit and a shrimp casing. We run it twice a day and couldnt' be happier. I have to put my hand on the door to check if it's running.

I know you don't want another one but....

We bought a Kenmore Elite but made by Bosch about 4 months ago. It is stainless in and out, and it's fabulous. Apparently the quietest DW Sears carries, which was important to us as we have a rather open plan main floor and we couldn't hear ourselves speak above our old DW!

Like most/all European models, it doesn't have a food grinder (regulations over there, I was told) but rather a trap. In the four months I've had it, I've removed one olive pit and a shrimp casing. We run it twice a day and couldnt' be happier. I have to put my hand on the door to check if it's running.

How do you find out who makes the Kenmores?

Everyone makes the Kenmores. :)

Meaning, Kenmore slaps its name on all brands: GE, Whirlpool, Maytag, Bosch, etc. The way you can find what it really is, is to compare details. When I was shopping for a fridge, I noticed that GE had certain physical characteristics that were exactly like a certain model of Kenmore. So, you have to pay attention to details and you'll soon be able to point out what brand that Kenmore really is.

Having said all that, I have a Roper (which is, I think, Whirlpool's bottom of the line brand) and it cleans better than EX's Bosch. I love this dishwasher and I am sure it was not a whole lot over $300. I don't rinse dishes unless there is actual food stuck, then I'll scrape, but other than that, this baby cleans and cleans well! So, something to consider.

ugh, I didn't want to hear that about the Kenmore Elite dw.

We have one - almost two years old - & so far it's worked great. I run it about 10 times a week & have had no probs with it.

The Kenmore Elite dual fuel stove is another story.

And the side by side Elite fridge, is yet another story.

Both stories involve repair dudes whom I now know a little too well.

Extended service plan is the only way I've managed to keep any sanity about this.

I have heard they're all crap & disposable now. We've been thinking about redoing our laundry room & getting new machines but I think I'm going to put it off as the new machines seem really unreliable. The house came with 20 + yr old maytags in the laundry & they're still going strong. I think with new appliances 5-10 yrs is all you can expect.

I've had a Kenmore for somewhere around three years. (We replaced a GE that was 7 years old...hated it.) It works well and we run it at least once a day.

Our appliance man said the same thing about most name brands being made with and by the same companies. They just don't last like they used to.

I'm not sure about extended warranties. With the cost of machines what they are now, replacing is around the same $. And I'm not into throwing money into unreliable machines. :001_huh:

Our Bosch is 1 year old and we've had no problems with it. I'm not sure what you mean by "unreliable". This thing cleans everything, cleans it well, and no one can tell when it is running if you can't see the LED display that counts down the minutes until it is done.